Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FAct_88  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2016 8:54:08 AM(UTC)
FAct_88

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am not at NWS, but another line office in NOAA. NOAA's HR service, the Workforce Management Office (WFMO) is quite frankly a mess, and has been for a couple years. There are some individually good people there,but turnover has been high, and many newcomer's have no experience in the CAPS pay system that much of NOAA uses (not sure if NWS does or not). There is usually a long wait to hear back from them, and you often get conflicting information from different staff within WFMO. I know that does not answer your question specifically, but FWIW that is my view.
thanks 1 user thanked FAct_88 for this useful post.
fedrehire100 on 8/9/2016(UTC)
fedrehire100  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:55:33 AM(UTC)
fedrehire100

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
This should be the original post/topic question:

What has been your experience at the National Weather Service (NWS)?

(transfers, promotions, hiring, retiring, applying & waiting, work atmosphere,...etc)
grampi50  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:06:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I work for NWS and I can tell you it ain't what it used to be. The budget has gotten to be so tight that positions are being left vacant all throughout NWS. And you can forget about ever being able to transfer. I've been trying to get to one particular office for 11 years now with no success. I've even got a hardship on the books for that office and it doesn't help. I become eligible for retirement in just a little under 4 years and I'm retiring the day after I'm eligible...
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
fedrehire100 on 8/9/2016(UTC)
Joe Navy84  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2021 10:43:38 PM(UTC)
Joe Navy84

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Applied for an ET spot at a WFO. Initially, I declined. Personal stuff was happening and not a good time to change jobs. 4 months later I got an email if I was still interested. Took a chance and let me say, WFO’s are a mess. ZERO BUDGET. Vacancies left and right. The Mets run the show. They looked down on the support staffers. Like we were lesser humans because we didn’t become Mets. It’s dog eat dog. Everyone is out for number 1 and they will step on you to make it to the next grade. 8 months was plenty. Transferred to VA. Another LOUSY agency. Finally transferred to the USS BACKYARD and taking a break from work. Steer clear of the NWS and VA. If you want a great agency, try Social Security.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed