Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sootheme  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:42:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,

I have a young relative who is considering joining the US Marine Corp. We came across an individual who stated that he was rated Unsatisfactory 4 times in a 4 year span during his first enlistment on active duty in the Marines. He went on to say that he thought he would be discharged after his four year commitment however he was told he has to go back and earn a satisfactory rating for each year he was rated unsatisfactory or accept a dishonorable discharge. Thusly, he had to go back and complete another 4 years. I asked if he had the option to do them in the reserves and he said no they had to be done on active duty.

I was just curious to the accuracy of this information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:30:45 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 947 time(s) in 796 post(s)
Sounds fishy to me... I'd think in this day and age with downsizing and cuts, he'd be chaptered out right after that second unsat.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Sootheme on 8/23/2016(UTC)
Scotter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:33:32 AM(UTC)
Scotter

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sootheme Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have a young relative who is considering joining the US Marine Corp. We came across an individual who stated that he was rated Unsatisfactory 4 times in a 4 year span during his first enlistment on active duty in the Marines. He went on to say that he thought he would be discharged after his four year commitment however he was told he has to go back and earn a satisfactory rating for each year he was rated unsatisfactory or accept a dishonorable discharge. Thusly, he had to go back and complete another 4 years. I asked if he had the option to do them in the reserves and he said no they had to be done on active duty.

I was just curious to the accuracy of this information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like your source is not providing good information. I am retired military (Navy) and have never heard of such a thing. Enlistments are contracted, typically 4 year terms. The "Unsatisfactory" ratings were probably related to Marine Corps Performance evaluations or Physical Fitness tests. He would have had to be approved by his Chain of Command to do another enlistment. If he was rated Unsatisfactory the COC would have said no.

Scotter

thanks 1 user thanked Scotter for this useful post.
Sootheme on 8/23/2016(UTC)
hemihem  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:39:34 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 71 post(s)
The not so successful individual experience would not have any bearing on the success of your relative in the US Marine Corps.

I would recommend your relative go forth and seek the experience that would reap a life time of benefits, especially after 20 or more successful years.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:42:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed