Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Immafed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:54:12 PM(UTC)
Immafed

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/26/2016(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: VA

Thanks: 3 times
I was hired at USPTO in a GS-11/13 position (non-examiner). I am not new to Federal service (4 years to be exact), but have never been in a career ladder or promotable position before. My questions are:

1. Is the promotion instant, or do I have to be evaluated? I've been in this new position for over a year now (my anniversary date is July 28), but have not had my annual performance review yet.

2. Do I need to ask for the promotion from my director, or will this person receive notification from HR Connect?

3. I have received a step increase to GS-11 Step 2. What step will I enter the GS-13 at if promoted?

4. I am eager to find out if I will get the promotion, but I don't want to force the issue. When is a good time to ask about this? Now, or at my annual performance review?

I may have more questions later, and I hope someone can help. Thanks!
hemihem  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:34:22 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 466
Location: dmv

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Assuming, you just switched to the GS11/12/13 position, and since your anniversary is July 28, the assumption becomes you accepted the position July 28 2016, so on or about July 28, 2017 you'll be promoted to GS12, and on July 28, 2018 you'll again be promoted to GS13 each time you'll be promoted to step 1.

Wait no longer than one pay period before sounding the alarm to your HR POC.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:38:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked hemihem for this useful post.
Immafed on 8/24/2016(UTC)
Immafed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:14:58 PM(UTC)
Immafed

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/26/2016(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: VA

Thanks: 3 times
My onboard date was 7/28/2015 for this latest position. The GS-12 was not advertised. It was listed as GS-11/13. I know nothing is guaranteed. Just trying to get an understanding of how all this works. Thank you for your reply Hemihem.
hemihem  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 4:58:53 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 466
Location: dmv

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I would inquire as to why I haven't received the GS13 as advertised, have you met all requirements, are you performing at the GS13 level? If so, inquire where's the GS13 and or what you need to do to receive.

thanks 1 user thanked hemihem for this useful post.
Immafed on 8/25/2016(UTC)
FS0201  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:54:16 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,180

Thanks: 98 times
Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Immafed Go to Quoted Post
I was hired at USPTO in a GS-11/13 position (non-examiner). I am not new to Federal service (4 years to be exact), but have never been in a career ladder or promotable position before. My questions are:

1. Is the promotion instant, or do I have to be evaluated? I've been in this new position for over a year now (my anniversary date is July 28), but have not had my annual performance review yet.

2. Do I need to ask for the promotion from my director, or will this person receive notification from HR Connect?

3. I have received a step increase to GS-11 Step 2. What step will I enter the GS-13 at if promoted?

4. I am eager to find out if I will get the promotion, but I don't want to force the issue. When is a good time to ask about this? Now, or at my annual performance review?

I may have more questions later, and I hope someone can help. Thanks!


Unless contractually obligated, career ladder promotions are neither implied, nor guaranteed. As you have been in the position for more than a year, you should speak with your supervisor about his/her intentions for the ladder, and whether there is anything that needs to be done for you to be promoted.

Promotions are based on two step rule. Generally, someone on a ladder is going to be promoted to the next step within a year or so, so they will almost always end up at step 1 of next level (though it depends on the original step they were at). In your case, even though you are a step 2 now, you would likely be a step 1 when promoted to 12 as well as 13 (unless you have several years at each step prior to promotion).

You may not want to force the issue, but you do need to advocate on behalf of your career.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
Immafed on 8/25/2016(UTC)
FAct_88  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 12:13:39 PM(UTC)
FAct_88

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 55

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

Unless contractually obligated, career ladder promotions are neither implied, nor guaranteed. As you have been in the position for more than a year, you should speak with your supervisor about his/her intentions for the ladder, and whether there is anything that needs to be done for you to be promoted.

Promotions are based on two step rule. Generally, someone on a ladder is going to be promoted to the next step within a year or so, so they will almost always end up at step 1 of next level (though it depends on the original step they were at). In your case, even though you are a step 2 now, you would likely be a step 1 when promoted to 12 as well as 13 (unless you have several years at each step prior to promotion).

You may not want to force the issue, but you do need to advocate on behalf of your career.


Completely agree with this. Career ladder promotions so often end up happening after a year or so at the lower level that people think it is automatic...it isn't. There has to be an increase in the level of responsibilities/duties commensurate with the next higher grade. It ain't about just putting a year in "learning".

That said, FS0201 is exactly right, if you have not been promoted after a year you should speak with your supervisor about your career development and what it would take to get that promotion.

Immafed  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:12:27 PM(UTC)
Immafed

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/26/2016(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: VA

Thanks: 3 times
I finally got word I will receive my promotion. I was wrong initially. I will be going from an 11/2 to a 12. My question now is, at the 2016 rates, what step will I enter the GS-12? I've tried reading all of the OPM's rules, and some other posts, but they are not specifically aligned to my situation. Note that I am not due for a step increase until Aug. 2017.

Your help is greatly appreciated, and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all.
FS0201  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:27:46 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,180

Thanks: 98 times
Was thanked: 278 time(s) in 242 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Immafed Go to Quoted Post
I finally got word I will receive my promotion. I was wrong initially. I will be going from an 11/2 to a 12. My question now is, at the 2016 rates, what step will I enter the GS-12? I've tried reading all of the OPM's rules, and some other posts, but they are not specifically aligned to my situation. Note that I am not due for a step increase until Aug. 2017.

Your help is greatly appreciated, and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all.


12-1.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
frankgonzalez  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 4:16:49 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,261

Thanks: 74 times
Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 785 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Immafed Go to Quoted Post
I finally got word I will receive my promotion. I was wrong initially. I will be going from an 11/2 to a 12. My question now is, at the 2016 rates, what step will I enter the GS-12? I've tried reading all of the OPM's rules, and some other posts, but they are not specifically aligned to my situation. Note that I am not due for a step increase until Aug. 2017.

Your help is greatly appreciated, and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all.
This has been explained several times here. The 2 step rule is...
Add 2 steps to your current grade and step. (in your case, 11 step 2>11 step 4).
Look at the next grade up and find the step equal to, but not lower than the amount you calculated above. This is the step of your new grade.(in your case, it will be 12 step 1).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
computerscott2  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 5:27:04 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/24/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,941

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Look at the GS base scale for the 11/4 mark and then compare it to the gs 12 grade equal to, or higher than the grade/step (in your case 11/4). That will be where you will be.
Also if you are due a WIGI (step increase) on the same date as your promotion, you apply the WIGI first and then the promotion. This really only affects you if you have waited several years between grade increases or you are at one of the lower grades in a one-grade interval position (i.e. 5/6/7/8). In 2 grade interval positions (5/7/9/11) you usually end up at a step 1.

Also agree with the posts about career ladders not being automatic. In some places I have been they were, in some you had to put a package together. But they are not guaranteed. If your supervisor does not think you are performing (or have the ability to perform) at the higher level, they do not have to put you in for the promotion.

It is a good idea to talk to your supervisor ahead of time, like at the 6-month mark, and ask "So how does the career ladder promotions work around here?" Once they explain it ask "What would be the best time to speak with you about how I am progressing towards my next grade?"

A good supervisor will explain it to you and let you know if you are on target or not. A good employee will ask if they are on target. Not ask everyday, but every 3-6 months would not be unreasonable.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.481 seconds.