Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spades  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:53:59 PM(UTC)
spades

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can assist me.

I was recently hired as a GS-06 3 months ago. I am considering putting in a formal request for a grade promotion to a GS-07. My knowledge and experience far exceeds my pay grade. My performance within the 3 months, has been more than what anyone expected. I've been working on special projects & have helped the department come out of what would've been sticky situations. I've gotten praise from not only my supervisors but their managers as well. So my question is, would I be making a fool out of myself by requesting a grade promotion? Are there specific wait times before the request can be put in?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:36:52 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 281 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spades Go to Quoted Post
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can assist me.

I was recently hired as a GS-06 3 months ago. I am considering putting in a formal request for a grade promotion to a GS-07. My knowledge and experience far exceeds my pay grade. My performance within the 3 months, has been more than what anyone expected. I've been working on special projects & have helped the department come out of what would've been sticky situations. I've gotten praise from not only my supervisors but their managers as well. So my question is, would I be making a fool out of myself by requesting a grade promotion? Are there specific wait times before the request can be put in?

You wouldn't necessarily be making a fool out of yourself, but that isn't really the way it works. While you might be the best one there, if the position is a GS-6, they won't simply increase the grade - that would require a determination that the position was doing the higher level work. Also, while your knowledge/experience may exceed what is required, the agency posted the position at the grade they needed. It doesn't matter if you have the experience of a GS-15, you applied for a GS-6. You didn't say, but if the position is a career ladder, such as a 6/7, you would likely get the promotion when your year is up (though not automatic or guaranteed).

I'd recommend putting in time, and then applying for a higher graded position.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 10/4/2016(UTC)
spades  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:32:53 AM(UTC)
spades

United States

The position is a career ladder 5/6 with a promotion potential up to a 7. My supervisors have both said it's possible to request an accelerated performance promotion, even though it's not guaranteed by HR. At the same token, they are both new as well, so I'm taking their advice with a grain of salt.
JustFedUp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 4:38:05 AM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: spades Go to Quoted Post
My knowledge and experience far exceeds my pay grade.

Which begs the question:

Why did you accept the position in the first place?
hawkeye37128  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:40:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If still in probationary status don't think a promotion is possible.
spades  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:42:31 AM(UTC)
spades

United States

I was a contractor so I wanted to get into the federal side.
ji_  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:16:50 AM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Welcome to the federal side!
icanzz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:18:12 PM(UTC)
icanzz

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
GS Pay Grades are not promotions or Rank (in the Military sense). It is ONLY a "pay scale". If it were a Rank/promotion system you would be wearing some type of emblem so everyone would know each others GS Level.

A GS5 does not "Out-Rank a GS4" A GS5 is just a higher "pay" grade and may or may not earn more than the GS4 due to step system.

You are not paid based on YOUR, well maybe to a point, abilities, skills, knowledge.

You are paid and placed on the "pay scale" based on the position responsibility level, rating and Position Description and to lesser degree your ability to do the job.

Some positions -may- lead to higher "pay grade" if it has a Full Performance rating higher than your current "pay grade".

In order to move up the "pay scale" in a position that does not progress to higher levels of responsibility, rating, new Position description...You must get the POSITION promoted by showing the current PD is wrong and should be elevated (desk side audit) on the "pay scale" and hope your still qualified to fill it or they don't lower it.

Being prior military and working/worked both for DoD agencies and Non-DoD agencies it interesting to listen to conversations... In DoD agencies you move up the "pay scale" everyone says "I got promoted".

Outside DoD agencies SSA, FEMA, FAA, etc. everyone says they "I got a Raise" or "I moved the pay pay scale to xxx"...unless they are prior service...then they are back to "I got promoted".

Just to make my point clearer.

Imagine sitting in a restaurant and watching...an individual drinking at bar happens to be a GS12 that works for the SSA and is getting loud and another individual sitting nearby who works for Bureau of Land Management and is a GS13,14,15 whatever...The GS13,14,15 tells GS12 to keep the noise down...GS12 tells GS 13,14,15 whatever... to F*** off...so now what? GS13,14,15 pulls out their "Pay Stub" or "SF50" and pulls rank on them? hahaha

Now I agree you can be promoted by "Position" from say...Assistant something to Chief of something...but that may or may not mean a move up the "pay scale". But regardless it gives you no additional authority ...except bossing the people under your immediate supervision around or maybe within your immediate organization.
angelcali  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:22:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 36 post(s)
You have to serve a year at one grade before you are eligible for the next grade.
mudpie  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 11:10:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Originally Posted by: angelcali Go to Quoted Post
You have to serve a year at one grade before you are eligible for the next grade.

Not true. Agencies can waive TIG requirement.
mudpie  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 11:11:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 90 post(s)

Not true. Agencies can waive TIG requirements. I've seen people jump from a GS12 to a GS14, without creating a new PD or position.
JustFedUp  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 11:32:06 AM(UTC)
JustFedUp

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mudpie Go to Quoted Post

Not true. Agencies can waive TIG requirement.

There's pretty much a waiver for everything, which really undermines setting forth rules in the first place.
angelcali  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 2:06:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mudpie Go to Quoted Post

Not true. Agencies can waive TIG requirements. I've seen people jump from a GS12 to a GS14, without creating a new PD or position.

Yes, if you qualify based on education or experience or critical needs position; they have to justify all of this with OPM when they are audited. Sometimes they will give federal employees the highest previous rate as well and that requires justification too. This is all in the code of federal regulations. Otherwise no they have no justification to do it. That year at that lower grade gives you the experience to get to the next grade.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed