Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
retto  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:19:08 PM(UTC)
retto

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2016(UTC)
Posts: 22

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Figured I'd throw my hat in for interested parties given how outdated the information on this forum is. Below is my timeline. It sounds like I am just now hitting adjudication. Slowest timeline of the three agencies I've processed with but by far the most responsive HR. Exact dates omitted but everything is in order.

December 2015
Submitted application
Invited to take online testing

April 2016
Invited to interview (video recorded with prompts)

May 2016
Notified that my interview has been reviewed and should expect results soon

June 2016
Followed up with my POC, notified that my paperwork got lost somewhere in the process and is now continuing

July 2016
Extended a CJO
Submitted SF-86
Provided itinerary for psych processing
Investigator #1 interviewed two prior coworkers

August 2016
Met with investigator #2, informed me that my investigation had started the same day I submitted my SF-86
Investigator #2 interviewed local references and neighbors
Investigator #3 interviewed two professors and canvassed my old apartment building
Investigator #2 informed me that he had everything he needed and would be submitting his paperwork
Psych processing

October 2016
Notified that I completed my suitability processing (~110 days after I submitted my SF-86) and am now awaiting final approval. They expect jobs to be available next year - I suppose that means IADP pulls from a hiring pool like many of the other DOD agencies? Either way, more waiting.

thanks 1 user thanked retto for this useful post.
strongfaith81 on 2/13/2017(UTC)
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2016 9:36:17 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,708

Thanks: 189 times
Was thanked: 374 time(s) in 331 post(s)
Originally Posted by: retto Go to Quoted Post
Notified that I completed my suitability processing (~110 days after I submitted my SF-86) and am now awaiting final approval. They expect jobs to be available next year

They seem to use slightly different terminology... is "suitability processing" the same as a background investigation? Is "final approval" the same as adjudication?

Also noteworthy that they say they expect to be able to bring you on next year.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
velcroTech  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 8:04:36 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 24
Cayman Islands
Location: Gun Bay

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Any status updates?
Application  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 10:20:04 AM(UTC)
Application

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/1/2017(UTC)
Posts: 11
United States

So I applied a couple months ago, but when I tried to log in recently it said that my account had been disabled because they moved everything to a new website or system. Is my application still good or was I supposed to apply again?
velcroTech  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 7:15:52 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2017(UTC)
Posts: 24
Cayman Islands
Location: Gun Bay

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Application Go to Quoted Post
So I applied a couple months ago, but when I tried to log in recently it said that my account had been disabled because they moved everything to a new website or system. Is my application still good or was I supposed to apply again?


You need to login here:
https://www.nsa.gov/psp/...S=Applicant&SiteId=1
Application  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 8:44:10 AM(UTC)
Application

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/1/2017(UTC)
Posts: 11
United States

Originally Posted by: velcroTech Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Application Go to Quoted Post
So I applied a couple months ago, but when I tried to log in recently it said that my account had been disabled because they moved everything to a new website or system. Is my application still good or was I supposed to apply again?


You need to login here:
https://www.nsa.gov/psp/...S=Applicant&SiteId=1


Yes, but when I click on the application I submitted, I get this error:

Your NSA Careers account is no longer valid. We have created a new application giving you the opportunity to apply to positions across the Intelligence Community. Once you create a new account, you will be able to apply online.
bluebrier  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:44:58 PM(UTC)
bluebrier

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/9/2017(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: Massachusetts

Thanks: 1 times
Hello all,

New to the Federal Soup forum and new to the Government/IC job process. I've been looking into the IADP with the NSA for a couple of months now and I think I'm going to finally apply for it. I was hoping to get an idea of the academic and professional experience of some of the candidates here who will be applying. I don't have practical/professional experience in intelligence gathering/analysis. I graduated with a B.A. in International Relations but didn't realize that intelligence analysis was a possible career path until my final quarter in college. Therefore, I've been lagging on making the transition from the private sector into the public. I realize I'm most definitely not a priority hire, but it would be super helpful to get an idea of the experience level of the applicants for the IADP. Thank you very much.
S00n2BFed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:37:47 AM(UTC)
S00n2BFed

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2017(UTC)
Posts: 13
Location: U.S.A

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bluebrier Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

New to the Federal Soup forum and new to the Government/IC job process. I've been looking into the IADP with the NSA for a couple of months now and I think I'm going to finally apply for it. I was hoping to get an idea of the academic and professional experience of some of the candidates here who will be applying. I don't have practical/professional experience in intelligence gathering/analysis. I graduated with a B.A. in International Relations but didn't realize that intelligence analysis was a possible career path until my final quarter in college. Therefore, I've been lagging on making the transition from the private sector into the public. I realize I'm most definitely not a priority hire, but it would be super helpful to get an idea of the experience level of the applicants for the IADP. Thank you very much.


Welcome to the forum bluebrier. I can't help you out much on the specific IADP job function but I can speak to the Government/IC job process.

First off, I would definitely recommend you to apply to the NSA and other IC agencies because you will never know what could have been if you don't, the worst they can say is no or nothing at all...ha. But on the flip side if you get a job in the IC it will undoubtedly be unlike any public sector job and more rewarding (just my 2 cents). The more applications and agencies you apply to, the better chance you have. For most developmental programs like the IADP they are a lot more likely to hire a kid straight out of college with limited/zero experience - for instance some of the entry-level Clandestine jobs (Targeting Officer, Operations Officer) with the CIA will not even consider you unless you are a recent grad (within one year of graduating) and very little to no job experience. The NSA entry-level development programs are the same way, they want new grads they can trust, train, and develop.

Second, have other job options or at least a job to hold you over because the entire employment process for IC agencies takes anywhere from 6 months - 2 years, depending on your background (foreign travel, foreign contacts, crime, drugs, etc.). Luckily, the NSA and CIA are faster in terms of processing normally. For instance, I started my NSA application in November of 2016 and I am still going the pre-employment process, albeit the last phase...adjudication. So be prepared to wait and find a good job/hobby to do to keep your mind off the process ha.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions related to the government/IC process. I encourage you to at least apply and see where that gets you. Best of luck bluebrier!

thanks 1 user thanked S00n2BFed for this useful post.
bluebrier on 7/12/2017(UTC)
bluebrier  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:41:45 PM(UTC)
bluebrier

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/9/2017(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: Massachusetts

Thanks: 1 times
Thank you for that response S00n2BFed! To be honest, I've been intimidated coming into this process considering the types of candidates I assumed applied for IC positions. But, for the most part, I've encountered accommodating and helpful individuals like yourself. Unfortunately, I think thanks to the nature of the industry, it's been hard to make many contacts considering where I live (Mass).

I wish I had considered the security and analysis route sooner while in college. It wasn't until my final quarter in college that I was introduced to intelligence analysis and found myself loving it. At that point, I had already taken all my credits that aligned within a different concentration in International Relations. So, stupidly, I passed on applying for internship opportunities with agencies like the FBI and CIA. I graduated in 2011.

So, here I am now. Wanting to fall back on my education and leave the private sector for public service. My private sector experience doesn't have much overlap with the requirements or qualifications expected from an intelligence analyst, so, I'm hoping to approach a career in the IC from either my educational background, or, I've even begun considering joining the military in some type of officer capacity. Though, that is another realm I am almost completely unfamiliar with.
S00n2BFed  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:06:02 AM(UTC)
S00n2BFed

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2017(UTC)
Posts: 13
Location: U.S.A

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bluebrier Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for that response S00n2BFed! To be honest, I've been intimidated coming into this process considering the types of candidates I assumed applied for IC positions. But, for the most part, I've encountered accommodating and helpful individuals like yourself. Unfortunately, I think thanks to the nature of the industry, it's been hard to make many contacts considering where I live (Mass).

I wish I had considered the security and analysis route sooner while in college. It wasn't until my final quarter in college that I was introduced to intelligence analysis and found myself loving it. At that point, I had already taken all my credits that aligned within a different concentration in International Relations. So, stupidly, I passed on applying for internship opportunities with agencies like the FBI and CIA. I graduated in 2011.

So, here I am now. Wanting to fall back on my education and leave the private sector for public service. My private sector experience doesn't have much overlap with the requirements or qualifications expected from an intelligence analyst, so, I'm hoping to approach a career in the IC from either my educational background, or, I've even begun considering joining the military in some type of officer capacity. Though, that is another realm I am almost completely unfamiliar with.



Well, the way I see it since you have a couple of solid options for getting into the IC community and starting a career in Intelligence:

1. Apply for an entry/developmental Intelligence career role inside the IC or even a private contractor (Booz Allen Hamilton, Raytheon, BAE, etc.). If you're lucky you can get into a developmental program with an IC agency (will probably take a pay cut), or you can try and get a job with a contractor and gain Intel Analysis experience and then reapply for an IC agency down the road.

2. Go back to school for a Master's of Intelligence program, schools like George Washington University, John's Hopkins and others have these programs. This would be practical job related experience/studies that would look very good on an application. While doing one of these programs you could most likely land an internship within the IC as well.

3. Military Officer is also a good route, albeit might take a while longer to reach the IC community as a civilian employee. So there are two ways to go for this and I will speak to the Army side of the house since I know that best. You can go Active Duty/full-time soldier and try to branch Military Intelligence (MI), you could even get lucky and be stationed at the NSA or DIA down the road. This would definitely get you a Security Clearance and valuable experience. Another way to go is National Guard Officer/part-time soldier. You could branch MI here as well and still get the security clearance and some experience. The plus side of going National Guard is you can keep a full-time job. Or if you really want to go balls to the wall and get all the intelligence training possible...you could get a masters in intelligence as a full-time student and be a National Guard MI officer part-time and have the National Guard pay for your Masters Degree.

All that being said, there are a bunch of different routes and combinations of those routes you could do. It just comes down to what you really want to do and what you know you can do.



thanks 1 user thanked S00n2BFed for this useful post.
ImpatientPatient on 7/21/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.497 seconds.