Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
teeeeej  
#41 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2019 7:54:17 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sante123 Go to Quoted Post
For 2020, the portion of the FEHB premiums payable by employees/retirees has increased by an average of 5.6%. For GEHA Standard, the corresponding figure is only 3%. For GEHA HDHP, it’s only 1%. And for GEHA High Option, it’s actually 0.3% less.
I'm in another HDHP plan. Premiums are going up quite a bit more than that, which is strange because with a High Deductible Health Plan you pay a much greater share. The prescription coverage is practically non-existent.

I'll have to check out GEHA.

You must be in AETNA? I don't know why there's increased so much. United HeatlhCare's HDHP actually went down a little.

UHC and Aetna both have new "Advantage" plans. I can't find any more information on waht they actually are though.

someoldguy  
#42 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2019 10:00:07 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 909 time(s) in 762 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
I'm in another HDHP plan. Premiums are going up quite a bit more than that, which is strange because with a High Deductible Health Plan you pay a much greater share.
You must be in AETNA? I don't know why there's increased so much. United HeatlhCare's HDHP actually went down a little.

UHC and Aetna both have new "Advantage" plans. I can't find any more information on waht they actually are though.
You got it. I have self-plus-one which is increasing nearly 30%

I wonder if those "Advantage" plans are like Medicare Advantage.

Edited by user Saturday, October 5, 2019 10:00:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: formatting

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
teeeeej  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:15:17 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

I'm in another HDHP plan. Premiums are going up quite a bit more than that, which is strange because with a High Deductible Health Plan you pay a much greater share.

I wonder if those "Advantage" plans are like Medicare Advantage.

In the case of Aetna, that's exactly what it is. Uhcfeds doesn't have the new plan info yet.
someoldguy  
#44 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 4:30:48 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

This year I have Aetna HDHP but very likely to switch. The Aetna HDHP also covers (sort of) dental.

Does the GEHA HDHP also cover dental? There is some kind of dental-only FSA you can sign up for if you have HDHP, and I was wondering if signing up for GEHA would allow you to participate in that.
Sante123  
#45 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 12:19:27 PM(UTC)
Sante123

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This year I have Aetna HDHP but very likely to switch. The Aetna HDHP also covers (sort of) dental.

Does the GEHA HDHP also cover dental?

Yes, for basic stuff. See the top of page 44 in the 2020 GEHA HDHP brochure.

And of course, you can also use your HSA/HRA balance to get reimbursed for out of pocket dental expenses.

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2019 12:28:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

teeeeej  
#46 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 1:02:58 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Geha just paid out $400 in dental for me...exam, cleaning x Ray's, so I guess the value is $800/yr. You can use the limited fsa, has funds, or get a fedvip plan for more coverage.
someoldguy  
#47 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 1:13:23 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

I think I will check out the Dental HSA when open enrollment time comes around. Actually I am not sure if it is an HSA or an FSA.

All I am sure of right now is I will not be getting another Aetna card.
teeeeej  
#48 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 3:48:02 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

There isnt a dental HSA
someoldguy  
#49 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 4:23:33 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

There isnt a dental HSA
Then I guess it must be an FSA. The thing I am thinking of is an FSA (apparently) for people in HDHP plans but is limited to dental and vision expenses.

Here's a general article about the topic, not specific to FEHB:

Using a limited-purpose FSA in conjuction with your HSA

Edited by user Friday, October 18, 2019 4:25:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sante123  
#50 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 9:30:05 PM(UTC)
Sante123

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
To learn how an FSA and an HSA work within the GEHA HDHP, read pages 21 and 33 of the brochure.
upandup  
#51 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 4:39:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)

You can save a little money by choosing self and family instead of self plus one in this case--the oddity of the higher government contribution cap makes it cheaper for the employee.

The Aetna HDHP premium increase is so drastic on the employee share because the plan has gotten more expensive than the weighted average of plans. Because the contribution from the government is capped at 72% of the weighted average premium, once plans reach that threshold, a 1% increase in premium will result in up to a 4% increase in employee contribution. The premium increase for self plus one 2019 to 2020 is 10.5%, or $68.96/month. $57.11 of that is borne by the employee, because 72% of the weighted average (the max government contribution) increased by only $11.85.

The Aetna HDHP and CDHP plans have fairly small enrollments and appear to be losing lighter users of healthcare thus making them more expensive year after year.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
someoldguy on 10/19/2019(UTC)
bee20  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2019 11:59:29 AM(UTC)
bee20

Can anyone give me advice on the MHBP Medical plan administered by AETNA. I am looking at the Standard and Consumer options and trying to see if they are good. I have seen some posts that other AETNA plans have problems covering certain drugs. Because this is administered by AETNA, I am concerned about that if that might be the same case with MHBP. THANKS!!
Mack77  
#53 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 7:37:48 PM(UTC)
Mack77

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bee20 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone give me advice on the MHBP Medical plan administered by AETNA. I am looking at the Standard and Consumer options and trying to see if they are good. I have seen some posts that other AETNA plans have problems covering certain drugs. Because this is administered by AETNA, I am concerned about that if that might be the same case with MHBP. THANKS!!

I have MHBP Standard. It's only been me on the plan and I don't go to the doctor very often so I really can't say much aside from I'm satisfied. I'm adding my family this open enrollment so I'll know more next year.

I also don't take any prescription medications so I can't help you there other than letting you know that I believe we have to use CVS/Caremark with very few exceptions.
someoldguy  
#54 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 7:57:49 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Sante123 Go to Quoted Post
To learn how an FSA and an HSA work within the GEHA HDHP, read pages 21 and 33 of the brochure.
I got a little more info on this. Signing up for a limited FSA (dental and vision only) is exactly the same as signing up for a regular FSA, you use the same form, just check a different box.

Also, with the Aetna HDHP my HSA was with a company called PayFlex. GEHA uses HSA Bank. Same basic setup except a different set of available funds if you want to take advantage of that. Looks like it is pretty easy to roll over HSA funds from one "bank" to another.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed