Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TSP

Administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, this defined contribution plan for federal employees has roughly 4,614,874 participants, and over $358 billion in assets under management. Ask your TSP questions and post related topics here.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Molt22  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2016 8:25:47 AM(UTC)
Molt22

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I recently started an excepted appointment internship position under the DOJ. So I am a full time employee who is automatically enrolled into one of the variations of FERS (according to my SF50), and qualifies to enroll in FEHB (also according to my SF50), but unsure if I qualify for participating in TSP. Since I joined in at the same time as multiple people, the HR department has talked to me a lot about TSP. However they too are unsure if I actually am eligible to participate in TSP, because they never had an intern before.
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2016 1:18:01 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 206 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Molt22 Go to Quoted Post
I recently started an excepted appointment internship position under the DOJ. So I am a full time employee who is automatically enrolled into one of the variations of FERS (according to my SF50), and qualifies to enroll in FEHB (also according to my SF50), but unsure if I qualify for participating in TSP. Since I joined in at the same time as multiple people, the HR department has talked to me a lot about TSP. However they too are unsure if I actually am eligible to participate in TSP, because they never had an intern before.

Have you gotten an LES yet? That would be the easiest way to see. Should be 3% from your side automatically.

Quote:
Who Is Eligible to Participate in the TSP?
Most employees of the United States Government are eligible to participate in the Thrift Savings Plan. You are eligible if you are:
A Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS) employee (generally if you were hired on or after January 1, 1984), or
A Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) employee (generally if you were hired before January 1, 1984 and did not convert to FERS), or
A member of the uniformed services (active duty or Ready Reserve), or
A civilian in certain other categories of Government service
If you are not certain which retirement system you are covered under, you should check with your personnel or benefits office.
In addition to being covered by an eligible retirement system, you must also be:
Actively employed by the Federal Government as a civilian employee or as a member of the uniformed services,
In pay status, in order to contribute, and
Working full- or part-time.
Rehired Employees
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
Molt22 on 1/6/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed