Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

17 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 01, 2017 6:14:40 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Happy New Year folks 🎊🎉 Let me do the honors for the 2017 thread! We've all made it pass the selection part so I have great optimism for 2017 and some of us getting in class. Congrats to everyone again and cannot wait to see what 2017 has in store for us!

Link to 2016 Thread:
https://forum.federalsou...s&t=71054#post783499

Link to Speadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/...4kdcsE/edit?hl=en#gid=27

Edited by user Monday, January 02, 2017 8:24:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: :-)

thanks 3 users thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
BestBy2022 on 1/1/2017(UTC), iamstephen1128 on 1/1/2017(UTC), amillermba on 1/2/2017(UTC)
iamstephen1128  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 01, 2017 6:50:03 PM(UTC)
iamstephen1128

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

May be just me, but I'm getting a no-go on that spreadsheet link

Happy New Year all!
amillermba  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 8:45:00 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
So officially, CI "encourages" selectees to exhaust all previously earned credit hours and/or comp time for simplicity purposes. Has anyone heard of people NOT doing that to get the payout? I'll be taking a respectable pay cut coming to CI, so having the additional payout at my old salary level is attractive.

In the mentor FAQs it also talks about how at FLETC you would most likely not have the opportunity to use comp time before it expires. Does that mean that comp time would not be eligible for cashing out and that it should be used before going to FLETC? Thoughts appreciated.

Side note, as this all becomes more real (and me doing literally all of my testing the week leading up to Christmas), my wife quite literally hasn't slept much in a week. Is anyone else's spouses freaking out yet?
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 9:05:35 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

The mentor FAQs are probably not for forum eyes. They really aren't for our eyes either. I wouldn't post exact questions from that on the public forum

I can't remember if you are an IRS employee or not but if you are an IRS employee they will match you from what I've been told. Your pay will be GS 7 Step 00 as an internal employee. Externals are slightly different. In these times they could just say forget all pay matching and come in as we say...you never know.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 9:24:00 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Hmmm, didn't I send it to you?
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 9:27:45 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

I thought I was going crazy! Nonetheless, I would err on the side of caution in the public forum format.

Edited by user Monday, January 02, 2017 9:28:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ashleo85  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 10:17:24 AM(UTC)
Ashleo85

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Or we could all put our money in together and start a business promoting pet parks!.. Wait
amillermba  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 10:29:57 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: Ashleo85 Go to Quoted Post
Or we could all put our money in together and start a business promoting pet parks!.. Wait

Oooh. I've done that before. Not an enjoyable experience. Bahahaha
BestBy2022  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2017 8:01:42 PM(UTC)
BestBy2022

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: amillermba Go to Quoted Post
Side note, as this all becomes more real (and me doing literally all of my testing the week leading up to Christmas), my wife quite literally hasn't slept much in a week. Is anyone else's spouses freaking out yet?

My husband does not freak out. That's why he's my husband.
thanks 1 user thanked BestBy2022 for this useful post.
amillermba on 1/3/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 5:53:25 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Getting a package tomorrow from CHS via UPS (Got an e-mail from UPS My Choice telling me a package would be delivered tomorrow, have not heard anything from CHS). Woooweee that was fast. A little over a week with two holidays in between. Good news, I suppose, is that they seem to be moving fast to get things set before the March class. Bad news is that I must need some follow up stuff. Anybody else getting anything from CHS?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:43:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added contact clarification

JK972  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:53:20 AM(UTC)
JK972

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I received a package from CHS. It was just a copy of the blood test and hearing test results for my reference.
thanks 1 user thanked JK972 for this useful post.
amillermba on 1/3/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:55:27 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: JK972 Go to Quoted Post
I received a package from CHS. It was just a copy of the blood test and hearing test results for my reference.

Oooh. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Hahaha.
Txplott  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:20:33 AM(UTC)
Txplott

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've seen people mention March and June class dates but each time it seems second hand or not very concrete from the way I read it e.g. no specific date.

I say that in part because I feel like there are different groups of people who may already be preselected for one class or the other based on how quickly they've been processed through so far. This is an exaggeration but it seems like some people had all their stuff done by Thanksgiving and I JUST did my screen and EQIP, and still no mentor contact. I know another applicant from my area that doesn't post here that has medical scheduled but not taken yet. It seems unrealistic that that person or myself would be ready for March when others are much further ahead of us without any delays on our end.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:53:21 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Originally Posted by: Txplott Go to Quoted Post
I've seen people mention March and June class dates but each time it seems second hand or not very concrete from the way I read it e.g. no specific date.

I say that in part because I feel like there are different groups of people who may already be preselected for one class or the other based on how quickly they've been processed through so far. This is an exaggeration but it seems like some people had all their stuff done by Thanksgiving and I JUST did my screen and EQIP, and still no mentor contact. I know another applicant from my area that doesn't post here that has medical scheduled but not taken yet. It seems unrealistic that that person or myself would be ready for March when others are much further ahead of us without any delays on our end.

Hey Txplott,

I feel your pain lol. They have exact dates for the classes of March 22 and June 2 but it's not yet set in stone when it comes to funding. (Clear as mud right?) My mentor has told me nothing has changed but you never know. You technically need only be preliminary found suitable for the background check with it being fully completed while you are in FLETC however you must, at the very least, be medically cleared to start in FLETC. If classes are being constructed, they will start notifying in Feb (or maybe earlier). I think if you've finished your medical and are cleared and there's nothing crazy on the EQIP or tax returns then your chances are as good as everyone else's of getting selected for March. On a side note, I don't think anyone completed their medical exam before Dec 19. The class dates were posted for IRS CI eyes only so we are only getting this information from IRS Special Agents with knowledge that have seen the dates.

Remember there's only 75 people selected in Oct/Nov and it seems like all if not most 2009/2011/May 2014 candidates waiting for a class were selected so we are only looking at three classes maybe 4 if there are some left over. I think there's plenty of time before they start sending out final offers.
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Txplott on 1/3/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 9:59:02 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: Txplott Go to Quoted Post

Also, if it's encouraging, they can go 0-60 in a split second if they want/need to. They could take a group of people from a TO to a FO in a month if necessary. I figure we are about 6ish weeks out from needing decisions for a March 22 class. So there is still plenty of time.
BestBy2022  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 12:00:24 PM(UTC)
BestBy2022

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hey all, I discussed with my mentor and he confirmed that for externals, the BI will contact your current employer, although they will wait "as long as possible." Not sure if that means before or after firm offer, but I think that's all the detail I can get.
Txplott  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:12:06 PM(UTC)
Txplott

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I hope that is the case 2022. I'd of course like to talk to my boss immediately preceding the BI talking to them but I also think it's a 50/50 chance that I get walked out that day just based on the nature of my current job. Having a firm offer in hand would make that less worrisome.

I'm sure there are other externals with private clients in the same boat.
EttaBetta  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2017 8:01:35 AM(UTC)
EttaBetta

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How long does it take to get back to you about the results of the medical exam? I'm probably just overly nervous, but I'm always convinced I failed things, the health exam included.
amillermba  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2017 8:06:52 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: EttaBetta Go to Quoted Post
How long does it take to get back to you about the results of the medical exam? I'm probably just overly nervous, but I'm always convinced I failed things, the health exam included.

My TB results were read on the 22nd and the mailing arrived yesterday with bloodwork results. I've also heard of another person who has gotten an email from HR that he has been deemed medically qualified. I'd imagine you should start getting things.

If you sign up for UPS My Choice (free), UPS will show you on a calendar all the shipments coming to your address and you can sign up to get emails when a shipment is coming. That's how I found out about my CHS mailing with bloodwork results.
thanks 1 user thanked amillermba for this useful post.
EttaBetta on 1/5/2017(UTC)
iamstephen1128  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2017 9:21:51 AM(UTC)
iamstephen1128

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EttaBetta Go to Quoted Post

This. That eye exam rated my uncorrected vision much worse than I am sure it is (just had an eye exam like 2 months ago) and that's got me pretty concerned :-/
Rss Feed  Atom Feed