Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

13 Pages«<111213
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BestBy2022  
#241 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:37:04 AM(UTC)
BestBy2022

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BestBy2022 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have plane tickets yet? I haven't heard from Ms. MJ since Friday and I'm wondering whether anyone else has been getting booked.

Update: After much learning about the intricacies of government travel, Ms. MJ and I have figured out that all us June students are not in the budget system yet. Ms. J submitted us to be put in last week, so she expects we will be in the system and available to have travel booked today or tomorrow. I have a weird travel situation and Ms. J has been kind enough to work closely with me on it. I will let you guys know if I hear anything else relevant to the wider group.

Btw, Ms. J is very nice and responsive by phone if you need her.
amillermba  
#242 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:19:30 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Has anyone heard anything about if the new hiring freeze will impact the July/August classes?
vtman  
#243 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:50:05 PM(UTC)
vtman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Word is CI is still funded for 7/24 and 8/2 FLETC classes. HR awaits names from CI Strategy.
thanks 1 user thanked vtman for this useful post.
amillermba on 5/24/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#244 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:54:09 PM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: vtman Go to Quoted Post
Word is CI is still funded for 7/24 and 8/2 FLETC classes. HR awaits names from CI Strategy.

Funded and permitted to hire after the new hiring freeze went into effect are two different things. They were funded when they received authority to hire 72 people. The new hiring freeze went into effect after the authorization to hire was issued. Kind of a weird situation.

To that end, I've also heard from a few that classes are still on. Man am I hoping so. Hahaha. If you're in the know and hear anything more, please keep us informed.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:55:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NotMyTrojan  
#245 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:18:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What hiring freeze did I miss?
amillermba  
#246 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:27:11 PM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

The Trump hiring freeze was lifted on 4/11. On or about 4/25, Treasury was put on a new hiring freeze by either themselves or OMB directly until their reduction plan is approved hopefully in September (actually, all agencies have to have staffing plans approved by OMB). There are exceptions to the freeze, just as before. The question is whether or not CI qualifies for any exceptions and if they do the paperwork to get approved for the exceptions.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:27:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked amillermba for this useful post.
BestBy2022 on 5/24/2017(UTC)
Pea_Tear_Griffin  
#247 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:48:08 PM(UTC)
Pea_Tear_Griffin

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If I have to deal with another hiring freeze I'm gonna go full office space up in here.
thanks 2 users thanked Pea_Tear_Griffin for this useful post.
BestBy2022 on 5/24/2017(UTC), amillermba on 5/24/2017(UTC)
amillermba  
#248 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:12:00 PM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: Pea_Tear_Griffin Go to Quoted Post
If I have to deal with another hiring freeze I'm gonna go full office space up in here.

#savetheprinter
thanks 3 users thanked amillermba for this useful post.
EttaBetta on 5/24/2017(UTC), UnderwoodAppointee on 5/24/2017(UTC), BestBy2022 on 5/24/2017(UTC)
BestBy2022  
#249 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:18:36 PM(UTC)
BestBy2022

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)

You're going to steal an evil plot from an old Superman movie? Just remember what kind of prison that lands you in...
LieutenantBlantyre  
#250 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:42:31 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 90 post(s)

You're going to steal an evil plot from an old Superman movie? Just remember what kind of prison that lands you in...

Just remember that the Enforcement account is getting a relatively small cut in FTE headcount in the budget proposal. The vast bulk of it is being taken out on us over in Accounts Management phones. 3500 out of that 5000 or so in cuts are just for us. We're earnestly questioning whether we'll see closures/consolidations of remote call sites or a more distributed bleed.

Edited by user Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:43:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: DYAC

amillermba  
#251 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:00:58 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

Just remember that the Enforcement account is getting a relatively small cut in FTE headcount in the budget proposal. The vast bulk of it is being taken out on us over in Accounts Management phones. 3500 out of that 5000 or so in cuts are just for us. We're earnestly questioning whether we'll see closures/consolidations of remote call sites or a more distributed bleed.

The budget proposal is definitely interesting. I mean, the rationale is that with electronic filing becoming more prominent, you don't need as many people handling returns.... But what are they expecting? Us to close a service center? We are already closing Covington.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#252 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:05:41 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Law enforcement didn't get an exception yet. I'm just now becoming aware of this hiring freeze. 😳 If IRS is keeping with same timeline as June offers then offers for July class should be coming out between June 6 and June 13. Of course they can wait until 30 days prior if they really wanted to as well. Final offers for the June class came out April 18 so I guess it was in the grey area as it relates to the freeze but was just under 7 weeks notice.

Hoping there are no more delays. There really isn't that many of us in the pipeline waiting on a final offer. I think it's less than 48.
amillermba  
#253 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:11:55 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Law enforcement didn't get an exception yet. I'm just now becoming aware of this hiring freeze. 😳 If IRS is keeping with same timeline as June offers then offers for July class should be coming out between June 6 and June 13. Of course they can wait until 30 days prior if they really wanted to as well. Final offers for the June class came out April 18 so I guess it was in the grey area as it relates to the freeze but was just under 7 weeks notice.

Hoping there are no more delays. There really isn't that many of us in the pipeline waiting on a final offer. I think it's less than 48.

Just now learning about it? Slacker. 😉. The timeline for the July class will have to be tighter because a week later they have the August class. So they'll have to issue FOs, get responses, issue more FOs for any declinations and then turn around and issue FOs for the August class. Logistics are definitely going to be interesting, be prepared for extremely short turnaround times.

They have indicated that they don't have enough people in reserve to fill the 48 spots, and that's assuming everyone accepts their FO.

Hopefully people get their crap together and get the stinkin exception.
thanks 2 users thanked amillermba for this useful post.
UnderwoodAppointee on 5/25/2017(UTC), IRSSpecialAgent_1Day on 5/25/2017(UTC)
thisguyjc24  
#254 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:39:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 27 post(s)
As I stated earlier, we are in an interesting period for CI. We've been dragged down with the rest of IRS like an anchor because of the previous administrations scandals. Even if we get an exemption to the freeze and run those classes this summer, that will exhaust the ready list and we won't be close to covering attrition.

We are hemoraging agents and we are about to lose a bunch (read hundreds probably) to the coming HSI lateral. That's bad because many of these will be mid-careee agents (5-15 years on) who make up the bulk of the senior case agents in the agency.

In 2020, many agents from the 2000 hiring are planning to retire when eligible. I know about a dozen or so in NY who are all planning on putting their papers in the second they can. That's worse because you lose all your top end talent who are supposed to be teaching the next generation how to make cases.

In talking to agents I know around the country, there's a pervasive fear of what we are going to look like as an agency three years from now. There are so many unknowns and absolutely zero communication from top management. Hopefully a fresh start with a new chief will start to move us back in the right direction.

Sorry for the doom and gloom. I've been on a while now and to easy to get caught up in the details. The job is still kick ass and what you make of it. Did I tell you guys I flew a helicopter? Not flew in, flew it.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Guest2017 on 5/25/2017(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#255 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:36:47 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I suspect another announcement will be coming out some time this year to add to the ready list. If all classes go through this will be there first time in 8-9 years that the ready list was at 0 right?
amillermba  
#256 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:14:21 AM(UTC)
amillermba

United States

I suspect another announcement will be coming out some time this year to add to the ready list. If all classes go through this will be there first time in 8-9 years that the ready list was at 0 right?

And I think we'll find that a short, if not empty, ready list is going to be the norm going forward. There was a lot of ridicule that came out of people being on the ready list for five year waiting for a class and I think because of that, they've been charged to revamp the hiring process. Technically, the "Ready list" as we know it doesn't exist anymore.
thisguyjc24  
#257 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 5:08:42 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: amillermba Go to Quoted Post

And I think we'll find that a short, if not empty, ready list is going to be the norm going forward. There was a lot of ridicule that came out of people being on the ready list for five year waiting for a class and I think because of that, they've been charged to revamp the hiring process. Technically, the "Ready list" as we know it doesn't exist anymore.

I wouldn't count on this being true. Everything is always subject to the budget and hiring authority which can change at any time. So while they're preparing a short "ready list" one month, the next those people could be waiting a year for a class. We aren't the FBI. We don't hire continuously. We will see what happens though.
Red  
#258 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 7:02:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Sorry to say, but I think JC24 is right. The whole IRS still has a cloud hanging over it- from the Lois Lerner scandal. And the one bright spot- a move to main Treasury- is a long shot at best (prior chiefs are still saying that admin tax cases are our main purpose). Meanwhile, Mick Mulvaney has said the new administration is going to focus on the spending side- from the perspective of the people who pay for the government. As most of us who worked with spending agencies observed, there is a lot of waste and fraud that no one seems to care about. Compare the number of OIG agents in your state to the number of IRS compliance/enforcement people and you can see the problem. So I would not put all my eggs in the CI basket if I were a new 1811 applicant. That HSI job looks pretty good to me right now. And we have no clue who will be the next commissioner or chief, but there's a good bet it won't be a General Kelly.
thisguyjc24  
#259 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 7:27:35 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
That HSI job looks pretty good to me right now. And we have no clue who will be the next commissioner or chief, but there's a good bet it won't be a General Kelly.

And this right here.... this is the biggest short term problem for CI. That lateral is going to suck hundreds of good agents out and there's nothing CI can do to counter act it. But I don't fault any agents for going. Everyone should do what's best for them. It's just a sad state of affairs.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed