Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

18 Pages«<161718
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hireme  
#341 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:38:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
There are three main reasons. 1) The NTEU agreement requires it, 2) IRS hiring as been few and far between for so long that internal applicants flock to any and all postings (really competitive internally as well), and 3) the internal posting starts at grade 5 whereas the external starts at grade 7. So these three reason means external applicants will hardly stand a chance. And I mention it the NTEU in my first post as most people (who aren’t IRS employees) are unaware of the requirement to hire internally first.

@emaichbe03 no, there is nothing wrong with listing keywords and I would if I were you, but my broader point was that was that somewhere else in your resume you should back up your keywords with actual experience. I have never worked in HR, but every posting you apply to says something along the lines of unless you explain in detail your resume may be rated lower. So no, leaving it up to chance or inference is not the way I would go. Include keywords, but also back it up with substance. And VP= Vet Preference.

@Red nope has always been that way. Just because it is a non-bargaining position does not mean that and internal applicants must still be considered first. Some HR positions are non-bargaining, but they are listed internally and must still be considered first.

Edited by user Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:39:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
emaichbe03 on 11/16/2017(UTC), gsetaurate on 11/16/2017(UTC)
agent05  
#342 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:44:51 AM(UTC)
agent05

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hireme... do you work for the IRS? I read all 18 pages on this thread and from the looks of it... there are quiet a few people who were externals and got picked up as an 1811 with IRS... so if history repeats itself ... there is a lot of hope and none of them mentioned that internal applicants took their slots... frankly.. only a couple folks said they were internal. Lastly, if 96 agents are needed, I doubt that they will all come from IRS internal pool. They need outside folks... I appreciate your insight but unless you work for the IRS yourself I will not loose hope on what you stated. :)

Originally Posted by: hireme Go to Quoted Post
There are three main reasons. 1) The NTEU agreement requires it, 2) IRS hiring as been few and far between for so long that internal applicants flock to any and all postings (really competitive internally as well), and 3) the internal posting starts at grade 5 whereas the external starts at grade 7. So these three reason means external applicants will hardly stand a chance. And I mention it the NTEU in my first post as most people (who aren’t IRS employees) are unaware of the requirement to hire internally first.

@emaichbe03 no, there is nothing wrong with listing keywords and I would if I were you, but my broader point was that was that somewhere else in your resume you should back up your keywords with actual experience. I have never worked in HR, but every posting you apply to says something along the lines of unless you explain in detail your resume may be rated lower. So no, leaving it up to chance or inference is not the way I would go. Include keywords, but also back it up with substance. And VP= Vet Preference.

@Red nope has always been that way. Just because it is a non-bargaining position does not mean that and internal applicants must still be considered first. Some HR positions are non-bargaining, but they are listed internally and must still be considered first.

thanks 1 user thanked agent05 for this useful post.
gsetaurate on 11/16/2017(UTC)
dlrow  
#343 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:00:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: agent05 Go to Quoted Post
hireme... do you work for the IRS? I read all 18 pages on this thread and from the looks of it... there are quiet a few people who were externals and got picked up as an 1811 with IRS... so if history repeats itself ... there is a lot of hope and none of them mentioned that internal applicants took their slots... frankly.. only a couple folks said they were internal. Lastly, if 96 agents are needed, I doubt that they will all come from IRS internal pool. They need outside folks... I appreciate your insight but unless you work for the IRS yourself I will not loose hope on what you stated. :)

Originally Posted by: hireme Go to Quoted Post

Hireme,

I disagree. I don't believe internal applicants must be considered first.

All things being equal, a internal applicant probably has a better shot. Most internal applicants are going to apply to both announcements.

It doesn't stand to reason that CI is going to select a marginally qualified internal applicant over a highly qualified external applicant.

The hiring process is imperfect. The radio button questions describing ones experience are infuriating.

I understand that recently the SAC's have a lot more input into the selection process.

Good luck to all applicants.

Source, am CI Agent.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Red  
#344 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:38:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
dlrow- hope you are right that SACs now have more input; years ago they were almost supreme- which was mostly good but could also cause problems (ask some old-timers during happy hour or coffee break). I don't think there were many marginal internal candidates hired over excellent externals, but I'm sure it happens, and happens more on the civil side. The SAC should know his district and what the local needs are, as well as his current staffing and strengths and weaknesses. I recall a CI Chief and District Director who, when I was an FGN, said they had a problem with protestors and they intended to break the resistance. They brought in some hard-chargers and - along with the civil side- ran some out of town, some out of business, and some into prison. Probably can't say that these days, but that was the old service, and it worked.
Red  
#345 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:39:09 PM(UTC)

sorry, should be FNG
Red  
#346 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:18:54 PM(UTC)

And then there's the other possibility- same district, different Chief. The internal applicant -Revenue Agent- passed the Treasury Agent Exam. The external applicant did not, but was on the under-represented list. Chief non- selected, closed the position, and announced it as a Tax Fraud Investigative Aide position, wanting the external to apply. By then the external was gone and the position went unfilled. The internal quit, went to law school and is still an attorney in the same town.
dlrow  
#347 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:29:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
dlrow- hope you are right that SACs now have more input; years ago they were almost supreme- which was mostly good but could also cause problems (ask some old-timers during happy hour or coffee break). I don't think there were many marginal internal candidates hired over excellent externals, but I'm sure it happens, and happens more on the civil side. The SAC should know his district and what the local needs are, as well as his current staffing and strengths and weaknesses. I recall a CI Chief and District Director who, when I was an FGN, said they had a problem with protestors and they intended to break the resistance. They brought in some hard-chargers and - along with the civil side- ran some out of town, some out of business, and some into prison. Probably can't say that these days, but that was the old service, and it worked.

I read the changes to the SAC's role in a email. I don't have any skin in the game. I don't recall the details. I don't think its the same as the old days.

I get the idea that things are very different service wide. I hear about the paper diaries, but I've never seen one.

It should be fun to have a FNG around. There hasn't been A FNG in my office since I was him.

gsetaurate on 11/17/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed