Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Go saints  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:20:57 PM(UTC)
Go saints

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I worked for Uncle Sam for about one year in 2002. I left federal service, and received a refund of my FERS deductions. I rejoined federal service in 2009 and have been a fed since then. Am I eligible to redeposit my 2002 FERS withdrawal (previously refunded to me), to be able to claim that year of service towards meeting retirement eligibility? I searched the OPM website and can't find specifics on this, nor can I find where/how to see how much I was refunded in 2002.

Thank you.
SDAnalyst  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:34:57 PM(UTC)
SDAnalyst

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 237 post(s)
I would complete an SF-3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment (FERS). https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf3108.pdf

The form itself says the general rule is that if you were re-employed with FERS "on or after October 28, 2009," you CAN redeposit previously refunded FERS service. I would fill the form out and see what happens.

If you are a current Fed, form needs to go to your Agency's HR. They have to certify it and then forward to OPM. It can take about 9-10 months to get a statement from OPM as to what you owe. Once you have that, you can decide whether or not to repay it.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:39:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed