Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<121314
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chevy82  
#261 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 8:01:51 PM(UTC)
Chevy82

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 648 time(s) in 498 post(s)
Don’t get wrapped up in career fields.

The HUMINT guy, the CI guy, the analyst, and the Mission manager are ALL 0132 inte series. One can fill another billet, it simply must be approved by managers and you must attend training.

There’s exceptions to every rule. Don’t get caught up in it. If anything, be glad there’s structure for career progression.
someoldguy  
#262 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 11:42:42 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 796 time(s) in 657 post(s)
DO NOT underestimate the significance of your Career Field and even the specialty! Yes we are 90% plus of us 0132 but DIA has introduced their own layers of personnel management.

You're all on DCIPS/DIA probation for two years and you cannot switch career fields during that time. I'm not even sure if you can apply for a job in another career field before two years is up. And if you somehow end up in a billet that is coded in a different career field from your official CF, you cannot be promoted. If you get selected for promotion and need to 'actualize' your promotion (ie actually be promoted to the next higher grade), you have to find a position in your same career field and maybe even the same specialty.

In the long run, there is mobility, but it will take some time... methinks 3-5 years but that is just a someoldguy WAG.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Chevy82  
#263 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:38:54 AM(UTC)
Chevy82

Was thanked: 648 time(s) in 498 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TMHTE Go to Quoted Post
Yeah the career field stuff is wonky. A lot of 13s out there have resigned themselves to never making 14 and hop around various billets without worrying about their career field or specialty. I know of one who took a downgrade to 12 (but not a pay cut, just became a 12 at a higher step) only to do something different. Screws you for promotion but when you're pulling 6 figures and doing something you like, some people don't care about promotion.

I would rather stay on the SME side of things that try and push my way out of the line and leg work into management. Management has done me in for the next decade and a half.
thanks 1 user thanked Chevy82 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 9/19/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#264 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:24:52 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 796 time(s) in 657 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TMHTE Go to Quoted Post
You can apply for jobs outside of your career specialty after one year. And you could apply outside of your career field after 2. Just don't count on getting promoted until your career specialty matches your billet.

The other thing is that the vast majority of postings I've seen on the internal board are at least at the 11 level and mostly 12 and up. So you can't apply to most positions until you get to that grade or become "promotable" after a board.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:26:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Trying to make it less confusing

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed