Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RepairGuy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:22:02 PM(UTC)
RepairGuy

Groups: Registered

I have an approved LOD due to an injury while on active duty in Bagram. My 4th LOD is still being reviewed at AFRC the 3 previous were all approved. I complained to my unit IG about the time it's taken to get my unit to submit the LODs and the answer was there is no required time so get over it. Now the civillian side of my job is sending me for a fit for duty exam which will result in my being found still injured.
I was told by civillian personel they don't care why I can't do my job since I can't I'm being let go so they can hire someone that can. Previously from the same people they wrote in an email to me that nothing would be done civillian wise till the military side was settled. Turns out that's now a lie.
I have been to my commander who filed a command directed investigation on the delays to my lods. I have been to my union reps. I have tried to talk to my civillian personel people with no luck. I filed a complaint with my units IG and after it closed I asked for it to be reviewed afrc IG.
Every answer I get is that since I was injured military then it's not a civillian problem. Can someone give me some advice on a Avenue I may have missed.
I have paid out of pocket for most of my care just to keep my job I was made to take my own civillian leave for surgery and physical therapy all on approved LODS. I'm just really bummed my employer cares so little for me that they are gaming their own system just to get rid of me.
CivSer67  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2017 6:38:58 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
if you were injured while in a Military status, why are you not on orders? AFRC and the ART program is horrible!
RepairGuy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2017 8:41:48 AM(UTC)
RepairGuy

I agree it is because the ART program is horrible. They didn't keep me on orders after I spent 6 months on active duty on a profile for a broken arm. They didn't put me on orders for the surgery that the AF said I needed. They refused to start a lod after an AD AF doctor said I had to have. Now they are saying they are going to deny a LOD they started 8 months ago because pain isn't their problem. So after messing up the military side of my care as much as humanly possible they decided to keep me drilling but fire me from my civillian job because I can't do my job.
I went to the IG. Tough luck. I Went to my commander. After a command directed investigation..tough luck. I have a letter from civillian personel top 2 people at my base saying they have to wait for the military side to do anything now they say if I can't do my civillian part of my job they don't care why I'm being fired. All I'm asking for is for them to follow the AFI the next time someone gets hurt and med board me and then release me from my civillian job since I'm not useful to them.
RepairGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 4:17:56 PM(UTC)
RepairGuy

I am so sorry I took the job as an ART. I get that it's easy access for military people to get into civil service but after doing it for over 10 years now my advice is get the job and immediately use it to get a real job like dcma or anything you can qualify for. Stay in the reserves if you love it like I did but do not be an ART if you want to continue to like being a reservist. The hiring freeze will be over eventually and if you can get out you should.
TheUnderverse15  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 2:19:19 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RepairGuy Go to Quoted Post
I have an approved LOD due to an injury while on active duty in Bagram. My 4th LOD is still being reviewed at AFRC the 3 previous were all approved. I complained to my unit IG about the time it's taken to get my unit to submit the LODs and the answer was there is no required time so get over it. Now the civillian side of my job is sending me for a fit for duty exam which will result in my being found still injured.
I was told by civillian personel they don't care why I can't do my job since I can't I'm being let go so they can hire someone that can. Previously from the same people they wrote in an email to me that nothing would be done civillian wise till the military side was settled. Turns out that's now a lie.
I have been to my commander who filed a command directed investigation on the delays to my lods. I have been to my union reps. I have tried to talk to my civillian personel people with no luck. I filed a complaint with my units IG and after it closed I asked for it to be reviewed afrc IG.
Every answer I get is that since I was injured military then it's not a civillian problem. Can someone give me some advice on a Avenue I may have missed.
I have paid out of pocket for most of my care just to keep my job I was made to take my own civillian leave for surgery and physical therapy all on approved LODS. I'm just really bummed my employer cares so little for me that they are gaming their own system just to get rid of me.

Shouldn't you be displaced or placed on ICTAP? Pretty much what my base did to me when I received one line of duty and was no longer fit for duty. Also, you should have been on orders after the LOD, I was placed on orders for 4 weeks while they ran some test. Worse part about ART program is a unit will claim not to have money so they will take you off orders and force you to burn through sick leave and pay expenses for medical treatments.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:52:15 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I knew a guy in the Army AGR program he did not have an LOD issue but a medical retention issue. It took them YEARS (literally) to make a decision. I think they even retained him on active duty past his 20 years (ordinarily the end of the line for a reservist on active duty) just so they could drag it out and keep this guy in limbo a little longer. Don't know what ever happened as I retired and stopped drilling at that site. They will make a decision when they are good and ready without any regard to how it impacts the individual.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
TheUnderverse15  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:45:30 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I knew a guy in the Army AGR program he did not have an LOD issue but a medical retention issue. It took them YEARS (literally) to make a decision. I think they even retained him on active duty past his 20 years (ordinarily the end of the line for a reservist on active duty) just so they could drag it out and keep this guy in limbo a little longer. Don't know what ever happened as I retired and stopped drilling at that site. They will make a decision when they are good and ready without any regard to how it impacts the individual.

Happened with me too, I was injured in 2013 and got a decision in End of 2015/beginning of 2016. I already moved on though from ART to civilian position by the time they gave me a decision. I did not want to be tired of waiting around to be placed on ICTAP or displacement positions, plus would have been stuck at the same base.

Edited by user Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:46:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RepairGuy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:00:30 AM(UTC)
RepairGuy

Like an idiot I assumed the people in our medical squad knew their jobs. First they told me I couldn't use any tricare benefits till after the lod was approved. Then they sent me thru the Dawg board to the med board while I had an lod still being investigated at afrc. Now they are telling me my lod will be denied because pain isn't a treatment plan so they are killing the lod that is supposed to fix the surgery the last lod jacked up. I have discovered that no one is following the AFIs they just decide whatever they want and put it on me to show them why that's completely against the AFI. They are idiots or jackholes but either way I wouldn't pay them to mow my grass.
TheUnderverse15  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:31:36 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Originally Posted by: RepairGuy Go to Quoted Post
Like an idiot I assumed the people in our medical squad knew their jobs. First they told me I couldn't use any tricare benefits till after the lod was approved. Then they sent me thru the Dawg board to the med board while I had an lod still being investigated at afrc. Now they are telling me my lod will be denied because pain isn't a treatment plan so they are killing the lod that is supposed to fix the surgery the last lod jacked up. I have discovered that no one is following the AFIs they just decide whatever they want and put it on me to show them why that's completely against the AFI. They are idiots or jackholes but either way I wouldn't pay them to mow my grass.

Sounds like a horrible base. I was put on horribles while I was in the hospital, immediately after injury happen. My supervisor took good care of me during the ordeal. Medical people actually were somewhat helpful with the situation, got me to fill out the LOD paperwork and started getting things rolling.
MC5Wes  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 4:50:46 AM(UTC)
MC5Wes

A fellow ART of mine was hurt at work and got the same run around. He had to get a lawyer to the problem resolved.
RepairGuy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:29:53 PM(UTC)
RepairGuy

Can someone suggest a lawyer for me. I can't believe that it's necessary to have one but I guess there are no codes of conduct posters up in commands area. It's just not believable that I am where I am with these guys. I went to the eo office and that night i was told not to come to work the next day. The eo rep called my commander and told him I was filing a disability discrimination complaint so he had my second level supervisor call me at home and tell me not to come to work the next day. Also he wouldn't take the complaint and gave me an email for someone at afrc that had to take the complaint and by the time he responded I'm outside my filing deadline. If a civilian employer treated a reservist like this the AF would do backflips to bring them to justice but they use all those same resources to stop complaints on their actions.
RepairGuy  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 7:26:41 AM(UTC)
RepairGuy

update. So Im still at a lose to explain most of what happening but I can describe it and maybe someone else can make sense of it. Ok so Im in the Union at my Base but that hasnt been as helpful as one might imagine. Since we are dual status if the union rep is an ART they understand whats going on but they take real chances with their military career by being too good of a union rep. If the rep isnt dual status then command just dazzles them with stuff they dont understand till they eventually agree to whatever command tells them and then goes back to do the job they use to feed their family.

Ok so I get a letter from command telling me they are considering removing me from my federal employment. They layout a whole bunch of reasons they say is proof I have shown conduct unbecoming a federal employee. btw one of the reasons was I gave a girl a gun for some deer meat and when she refused to give me the deer meat after 2 months I appeared distraught and she believed that being distraught over my lack of deer meat was a reason to give me the 22 rifle back and she was scared because I seemed to really like deer meat. oh and almost as sweet was that I argued with my supervisor about my work restrictions and that made her sad because people saw me disagree with her. I also without thought to the feelings of the eeo officer at our base tried to file a complaint against my supervisor for disability discrimination and that caused a disruption in his work space because his job is to prevent complaints from reaching anyone that can do anything with them. Oh and in his sworn affidavit he said once he went to the base commander to have me banned from the base I never returned to complete the complaint (on base) and so he dropped the matter.

Anyway maybe this is normal I have no idea but they want me to defend myself against these things and then they will decide if I have shown conduct unbecoming a federal employee and also causing people anxiety and being disruptive.

I want to send them a letter telling them to eatadic but I understand that no matter how stupid they are there are alot of them and its not like anyone is going to say yea those 10 people are all terrible people and deserve to have their security clearence pulled for lieing in a sworn affidavit (I can prove that not an opinion). And to be honest I would rather work in a 24hr free ebola clinic than go back to that vomit bowl. So I am of the opinion I should just take the removal and then just file for fers disability becauese thats whats driving all of this. My right arm is useless now for actions more than lightly wiping my ass and I eat enough pain pills everyday so that I have very little drool left and my dogs hide under the bed when I mow so I dont do to them what I do to most of their toys ( joke is Im running over their dog toys with the mower cause im loopy and the dogs dont want me to accidentally do that to them ).

I know I sound bitter but Im really just floored that I worked for those people.
pinesfederal  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 10:35:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just wanted to share - check out Pines Federal, top-rated advocates for federal employees! Feel free to visit www.pinesfederal.com or call 800-801-0598 for all of your federal needs. :)
CivSer67  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:01:14 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
That is why AFRC really sucks!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed