Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fedupfedup  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:47:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm due to retire in 1 to 3 years, during my career I took out the money thabefire I left some federal jobs that was for my CSRS pension. I have an option to redeposit it. It's about 5,000 w interest. It would increase my retirement to 400.00 a year. Is it worth it to redeposit it so I can have a little larger retirement check? Thank you
postalvet  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:24:40 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2025 time(s) in 1564 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fedupfedup Go to Quoted Post
I'm due to retire in 1 to 3 years, during my career I took out the money thabefire I left some federal jobs that was for my CSRS pension. I have an option to redeposit it. It's about 5,000 w interest. It would increase my retirement to 400.00 a year. Is it worth it to redeposit it so I can have a little larger retirement check? Thank you

imo 33 dollars a month is not worth it.

one could sell recyclables to get that much.

use the 5k to take a vacation.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2017 4:04:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 420 post(s)
It would take 12.5 years recoup the deposit. And that is based on the presumption you meant increase your retirement BY $400 a year (vs increasing it TO $400 a year...as that is barely worth collecting!). Throw it on a CD, into your TSP or other investment...or just spend it on something you want. $5k is a large outlay for a small return.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
SDAnalyst  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:50:39 PM(UTC)
SDAnalyst

Was thanked: 272 time(s) in 237 post(s)

Is this Redeposit for service before or after 3/1/1991? If it was prior to that date, you can take the "Actuarial Reduction" to have the service count instead of making a Redeposit. There's a table (Present Value Factors) that tells you how much you would lose per month. I believe it would be less than $50 per month, since you owe only $5,000. I wouldn't repay it, if you are in that situation.

On the other hand, if the Redeposit is for service after 3/1/1991, you must pay the Redeposit in order to have that time counted for retirement. If you don't, that period of time will not be used when computing your Annuity.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed