Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Subversive  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:38:32 AM(UTC)
Subversive

Groups: Registered
United States

So my career end goal is to get into intelligence or federal law enforcement. Thus far I am an intelligence analyst in the military as a reservist attached to a special warfare unit, I have not been in very long, only about 1 year, no deployments, yet. I possess a bachelor's degree in political science foreign affairs and a TS clearance.

Am I on the right track? What is my "marketability" at this point for either/or of the aforementioned career fields? I realize that I am relatively light on the experience. But what agencies would I have a fighting chance at securing an entry level position?

I am presently unemployed right now, and am waiting on a job working as a foreign risk analyst for a private company. However that is still a maybe. Barring that I most certainly will want to shift into law enforcement as that appears the only route to me in the civilian sector that I can break into easily and pay the bills.

Any advice? Thanks all.
sig_23  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:47:13 AM(UTC)
sig_23

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I would say having a bachelor's degree, a TS clearance, and a military background fits the bill. I would just apply to a bunch and see which ones pick you up. A lot of them have LEO positions, one that comes to mind is the DIA
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 12:24:29 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 988 time(s) in 785 post(s)
DHS components (USCG, TSA, Secret Service, etc) all have intel sections.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
cyber_ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:22:41 PM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Subversive Go to Quoted Post
So my career end goal is to get into intelligence or federal law enforcement. Thus far I am an intelligence analyst in the military as a reservist attached to a special warfare unit, I have not been in very long, only about 1 year, no deployments, yet. I possess a bachelor's degree in political science foreign affairs and a TS clearance.

Am I on the right track? What is my "marketability" at this point for either/or of the aforementioned career fields? I realize that I am relatively light on the experience. But what agencies would I have a fighting chance at securing an entry level position?

I am presently unemployed right now, and am waiting on a job working as a foreign risk analyst for a private company. However that is still a maybe. Barring that I most certainly will want to shift into law enforcement as that appears the only route to me in the civilian sector that I can break into easily and pay the bills.

Any advice? Thanks all.

You're in good shape, just keep applying.

Subversive  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:31:20 PM(UTC)
Subversive

United States

Glad to hear that I look good on paper. I will persist! Seems like just a matter of hammering away at the bureaucracy then.
someoldguy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:35:42 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 909 time(s) in 762 post(s)
For the intel side, create a profile on clearancejobs.com and see if you can latch on as a contractor someplace. I've known a number of people who started off as contractors and later got full-time government positions.

Fed LE is tougher, one thing you can do is be willing to relocate to remote places along the southwest border and look for the next Customs & Border Protection (CBP) Officer or Border Patrol Agent announcement. They seem to hire the largest numbers.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:40:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Subversive on 2/15/2017(UTC)
Subversive  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:50:21 PM(UTC)
Subversive

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
For the intel side, create a profile on clearancejobs.com and see if you can latch on as a contractor someplace. I've known a number of people who started off as contractors and later got full-time government positions.

Fed LE is tougher, one thing you can do is be willing to relocate to remote places along the southwest border and look for the next Customs & Border Protection (CBP) Officer or Border Patrol Agent announcement. They seem to hire the largest numbers.

I do have a clearance jobs account but haven't used it in a while, I'll start tackling it. How much experience did these people have when starting off as a contractor? Prior military with some active duty or just starting from scratch?
MadDog1080  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:08:18 PM(UTC)
MadDog1080

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 29 post(s)

CBP has a crazy high polygraph failure rate. Whether that's from the crowd that applies (apparently, the cartels send in people all the time) to them, or just having tough standards, IDK...

There's an LA Times article where a former Marine pilot whom flew Bush '43 around, of course held a TS clearance, could not pass the poly after like 2 or 3 times with CBP and had to have his application process terminated. I mean, the dude flew a President around, he can fly a CBP helicopter IMO... But, those decisions are way above my pay grade.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:09:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Subversive  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:04:44 PM(UTC)
Subversive

United States

Originally Posted by: MadDog1080 Go to Quoted Post

CBP has a crazy high polygraph failure rate. Whether that's from the crowd that applies (apparently, the cartels send in people all the time) to them, or just having tough standards, IDK...

There's an LA Times article where a former Marine pilot whom flew Bush '43 around, of course held a TS clearance, could not pass the poly after like 2 or 3 times with CBP and had to have his application process terminated. I mean, the dude flew a President around, he can fly a CBP helicopter IMO... But, those decisions are way above my pay grade.

Because polygraphs are notoriously unscientific.
someoldguy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:54:41 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 909 time(s) in 762 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Subversive Go to Quoted Post

I do have a clearance jobs account but haven't used it in a while, I'll start tackling it. How much experience did these people have when starting off as a contractor? Prior military with some active duty or just starting from scratch?

Some of them had no relevant experience as I recall, they were just hired for their clearance. Everything is more complicated now but some contractors will be able to pick up your military clearance.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed