Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TiredoftheArmy  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 11:45:14 AM(UTC)
TiredoftheArmy

Groups: Registered

All,

I am currently a GS13 Step 1 employed by the Department of the Army in a NTE Sept 2018 position. I recently interviewed for and was a selected for a position with TSA in their SV-I pay band, which from what I understand is a GS13 equivalent. I have not received the official offer letter from TSA yet, but am trying to gather as much information as I can.

So I have a few questions.

- Will I be allowed to keep my current salary if I accept the position and move to TSA?

- Will the fact that I'm in a term position have any effect on keeping my current salary?

- I am nearing my annual step increase. Will TSA grant me the step increase or will I have to start all over?

Thanks in advance for any information.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:08:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 420 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TiredoftheArmy Go to Quoted Post
All,

I am currently a GS13 Step 1 employed by the Department of the Army in a NTE Sept 2018 position. I recently interviewed for and was a selected for a position with TSA in their SV-I pay band, which from what I understand is a GS13 equivalent. I have not received the official offer letter from TSA yet, but am trying to gather as much information as I can.

So I have a few questions.

- Will I be allowed to keep my current salary if I accept the position and move to TSA?

- Will the fact that I'm in a term position have any effect on keeping my current salary?

- I am nearing my annual step increase. Will TSA grant me the step increase or will I have to start all over?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Good luck! TSA is not the kindest of agencies to work for. I declined a position as I was offered their "GS-13 equivalent" (all their "equivalents" pay less than the GS scale, I would have lost $1500 a year going form GG-12 step 5 to their "GS-13 equivalent"!)

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
TiredoftheArmy  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:15:57 PM(UTC)
TiredoftheArmy

@frankgonzalez,

So even as a current federal employee they still tried to start you at the lower end of the pay band?

I was a GS12 with DOJ prior to switching to the Department of the Army, and when I made the transition they mentioned the only way to get a higher salary would have been if my GS12 step amount was higher than step 1 of GS13. Is TSA not held to the same rules as the rest of the government about maintaining salary level if the job is in the same grade or higher?

Thanks.
FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:27:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 71 post(s)
@frankgonzalez,

So even as a current federal employee they still tried to start you at the lower end of the pay band?

I was a GS12 with DOJ prior to switching to the Department of the Army, and when I made the transition they mentioned the only way to get a higher salary would have been if my GS12 step amount was higher than step 1 of GS13. Is TSA not held to the same rules as the rest of the government about maintaining salary level if the job is in the same grade or higher?

Thanks.

I don't know about TSA but my agency went from GS to pay banding (acq demo) last year and they did a WGI buy-in to place us based on when our step was due. so if you were 3/4 of the way there you got 3/4 of the salary increase to the next step. So nobody lost. I would certainly ask that question if you get an offer. And no it won't be held against you being on a term position.
TiredoftheArmy  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:31:37 PM(UTC)
TiredoftheArmy

Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
@frankgonzalez,

Thanks.

I don't know about TSA but my agency went from GS to pay banding (acq demo) last year and they did a WGI buy-in to place us based on when our step was due. so if you were 3/4 of the way there you got 3/4 of the salary increase to the next step. So nobody lost. I would certainly ask that question if you get an offer. And no it won't be held against you being on a term position.

Thank you. This job is in my home town and I want nothing more than to be able to take it, but the difference between the lowest end of the SV-I range and my current salary makes it almost impossible to make the move.

I know transferring from one GS position to another usually grants you the right to keep your existing salary, assuming they're in the same grade. But I've never dealt with pay bands at all and don't know what to expect.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:53:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 420 post(s)
@frankgonzalez,

Thanks.
No, they aren't required to follow those rules. I did ask...heck, I asked about matching my salary and got a "you'll be at the top of the band, so we can't do that!" from them. Mind you, the job offer came out of the blue with no interview, just a "We'd like to offer you the position."...and as I ended up at the Coast Guard (also part of DHS) as a GS-13 step 2 , I learned more about TSA, especially their EEO offices...and so I dodged a bullet there!

Your luck may be different though. Always worth asking...just know what your bottom line is! For me, saying "no thank you" resulted in my ending up at NASA in a -14 position after 3 years with the Coast Guard. So...it worked out fine for me turning down a job.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
cyberfx1024  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:43:27 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Where are you moving from and to if you don't mind me asking? That way we can run the comps for you to help make a decision.
FatHappyCat  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:00:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 21 post(s)
They are definitely flexible on what they offer in pay because they are not tied down to steps/grades as GS are. I started my federal career as an H band. They offered 63k which was too low for me to accept so the following day they came back with 75k which was more amendable.

Yes TSA isn't the best place to work but it all depends on what you're doing. The bulk of the issues are at the terminals, so as long as you're not a terminal manager you should be OK. Even being a terminal manager isn't too bad to be honest unless you're in a cat X airport; then all bets are off. :) But earlier in my career I would of easily given up my H to be a G if I could of been a canine handler.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SDAnalyst on 2/14/2017(UTC)
TiredoftheArmy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:15:03 AM(UTC)
TiredoftheArmy

Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post
Where are you moving from and to if you don't mind me asking? That way we can run the comps for you to help make a decision.

I'd be moving from the Kansas City area to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I'm currently a GG13 Step 1 with my WGI at the beginning of April.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed