Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sootheme  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 11:36:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,

Just curious, I have been doing a lot of reading lately on the Vietnam War from the prospective of allied (To the US) forces. What I have found is it seems every countries special forces unit(s) were given nicknames, like the "devils with green faces" (US Navy seals), "Phantoms of the Jungle" (Australian SASR), etc...

My question is who actually gave them these nicknames? How would the enemy recognize that these were different special forces units from around the world and assign them each nicknames while in combat? Would it be based on fighting styles or is all this just lore?
usmc0341  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 10:14:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
A quick google search doesn't provide sufficient answers. Only example I could find were the 101st Airborne (US Army). Their logo is the Screaming Eagles - so apparently they were called "chicken men."

Many special forces like to have variations in uniform, badges/patches or even weapons. If the enemy encounters these units enough, they should be able observe what was unique about them.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Sootheme on 4/16/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed