Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Molt22  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:00:36 PM(UTC)
Molt22

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is there a tendency to best qualify more often based off of required experience, education, or combination of the 2 for positions? I ask, because I can use all 3 methods to qualify for gs-7 after this semester. Hopefully the freeze will be over by then...
Engineer1111  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:03:40 PM(UTC)
Engineer1111

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
There's no one size fits all answer to this question. What one hiring manager sets as a priority may not be the same as another.
MrC  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:41:26 PM(UTC)
MrC

Man
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I get the impression that this question is not rated, beyond a pass/fail. So either you've got it, or you don't. Far as I know, it's HR assistants who look at this to determine if you pass, not the selecting officials. If you get past step 1 and to the "referred" phase, the selecting official will know you've passed. I also know this because I often get rated as eligible based on education alone.

Based on this, would probably be better to use education. Why? Prior jobs can be interpreted differently.

Prior education, the guidelines are clear. Either you have the bachelor's degree, or you don't. Either you have at least 2.95 GPA (2.95 rounds to 3.0, 2.94 rounds to 2.9), or at least 18 credit hours of graduate level education, or you don't. Either the degree programs are accredited by an organization authorized by the DoEd, or they're not (all state universities and any private universities that are actually worth it are).

So that probably allows less room for confusion. That said, you can still use prior jobs to answer the other questions.
Ben
thanks 1 user thanked MrC for this useful post.
spence on 2/20/2017(UTC)
spence  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:48:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I agree with MrC, I think that question is usually just to establish if you are eligible for the job and the grade level, and then the actually rated questions for your score are after that.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed