Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:09:05 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/9/2012(UTC)
Posts: 9

Hello everyone,

I work for a federal government agency. I will be leaving the federal government to move to another state and work for city government. I would like to put in a leave notice of 4 weeks with the last 2 weeks using my annual leave. I have about 4 weeks total of annual leave. I know I should get the lump sump payment of whatever is left but I also hear that can take some time to receive and I do not want a break in pay between my old and new job, but I still have to have time to move and get my life together before my new job begins. I do understand I cannot use sick leave and my time accrued will remain with the federal government in case I come back. I only want to use my annual leave. So for example, if I put in my 4 weeks notice tomorrow my last day technically will be the 17th of march but with 2 weeks of leave my last day in the office will be March 3rd. Can I do this? I believe someone in my office did this but they were transferring agencies so I'm not sure if the rules are different because I am leaving all together. Any advice or guidance would be helpful!
Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:02:50 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/10/2001(UTC)
Posts: 5,159

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 87 post(s)
You should double check with your Personnel Specialist but there should be no reason for you not to be able to request two weeks of annual leave for the last two weeks of your federal service. This is because either way your unused annual leave has to be paid to you.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.036 seconds.