Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
futuredriven  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:15:09 AM(UTC)
futuredriven

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

I work for a federal government agency. I will be leaving the federal government to move to another state and work for city government. I would like to put in a leave notice of 4 weeks with the last 2 weeks using my annual leave. I have about 4 weeks total of annual leave. I know I should get the lump sump payment of whatever is left but I also hear that can take some time to receive and I do not want a break in pay between my old and new job, but I still have to have time to move and get my life together before my new job begins. I do understand I cannot use sick leave and my time accrued will remain with the federal government in case I come back. I only want to use my annual leave. So for example, if I put in my 4 weeks notice tomorrow my last day technically will be the 17th of march but with 2 weeks of leave my last day in the office will be March 3rd. Can I do this? I believe someone in my office did this but they were transferring agencies so I'm not sure if the rules are different because I am leaving all together. Any advice or guidance would be helpful!
edalder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:56:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 157 post(s)
If your immediate supervisor approves your leave request, you should have no problem. But, using annual leave is always at the discretion of your management. If your immediate supervisor feels that the workload is such that he cannot have you away during those weeks, then your request could be denied.

I would think that the more advance notice you can give both of the leave request and your impending departure, the better off you might be in terms of getting the time off approved.
Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed