Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:40:15 AM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2010(UTC)
Posts: 37

I'm interested in transitioning from a 1701 series to a 1750 - Instructional Systems Series. The 1750 series requires a degree that included or was supplemented by at least 243 semester hours appropriate to the work of the position being filled. This has to include study in at least 4 of the following 5 areas:
1) Learning theory, psychology of learning, educational psychology
2) Instructional design practices
3) Educational evaluation
4) Instructional product development
5) Computers in education and training

Now I already have a Master's degree in TESOL including courses that would probably meet requirements for numbers 1-3. However, I'll still need 9 credits, some of which in either category 4 or 5.

I'm clueless, though: how can I do this?

Do I need to start an entirely new certificate program that offers those courses? Can I simply take individual courses from an accredited university and have that suffice? And who should I even contact to confirm my plan in advance?

FWIW I'm a civilian USAF employee working at Lackland, AFB.
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:23:37 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 88

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
If you've got a 1750 Civilian Program Management Office they may help (like the Army CP-32 http://www.tradoc.army.m.../planning/1750/1750.html). I'd even reach out to them and ask, since the requirements are most likely OPM standardized.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:03:28 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2013(UTC)
Posts: 52

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
"...a degree that included or was supplemented by at least 24 [not 243] semester hours..."

The key is "or was supplemented" -- the additional 24 hours need not have been part of the bachelor's degree program.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.791 seconds.