Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
11 Pages«<91011
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed Investigator  
#201 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2018 11:56:35 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Actually, it is DEA's loss, both in time and money.

A three to four year hiring process is unconscionable.

DEA security just this month finished their own review of my application and offered me the interim clearance, it had nothing to do with OPM.

DEA security could screen every applicant pending right now and offer them interims if they wanted to. Every single applicant.

Agencies, military and private sector contractors allow employee to start all the time with interims while their cases are pending with OPM.

GearUp  
#202 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:09:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 149 post(s)
You have to understand that we only have a few classes a year and only a max of 50 students per class. Some years there are no classes. That's one reason it takes so long. The DEA puts out vacancy announcements in order to have a group of candidates in the pipeline when vacancies (or projected vacancies), warrant a class. World wide there are, currently, less than 500 DIs. Another reason for so few classes - we don't have the personnel turn over other agencies have. Why? Because DIs love what they do and know they have the best job in the government in the best agency. Very, very few leave once on board. What other agency promotes to a non-supervisory GS-13 level? And promotes as fast as DEA? Another reason it takes so long to hire on, you have to have vacancies in order to hire. OPM controls that. To hire more DIs the DEA has to request increases in the number of DIs authorized. Its OPM/GSA rules and regulations - just a fact. Also, when you have 4000/5000 applicants it takes time to screen them and pare the number down. Their applications and resumes need to be reviewed to ensure they meet the minimum requirements. Then it takes time to test, interview, medically/drug screen, and conduct BIs. We only take the best of the best. Many don't pass the testing phase (math, writing, etc.), and many fail the interview phase. Once they get through those screening phases they have to go through the BI, which I've reported takes 300+ days.

Lastly, ref the security clearance issue, as I stated before, the DEA just recently started offering interim clearances again. The DEA offered interim clearances before and was burned when things showed up in some peoples BIs so they stopped. They decided to start up again to try and move the process along a bit faster.

Sorry, and no offense, but it isn't the DEA's loss. Funds are allocated (by every agency) for screening and hiring personnel. That money would've been spent whether an applicant accepts or declines an offer. If an applicant makes it then okay. If not, that's okay as well. Especially if something is found in the BI to disqualify the applicant. In that case its money well spent. Its not money lost. So its not the DEA's loss. In my opinion, whoever turns down an offer to work as a Di with the DEA is the one who looses.

I am sorry you've decided to forgo the offer under the interim clearance. If you already have a TS clearance then you shouldn't have a problem getting a clearance with the DEA. You've already been through a BI and nothing disqualifying was found. So why not hire on under the interim? You shouldn't have an issue with the final clearance. I understand you feel that, based on the hiring process, the DEA wouldn't be a good agency to work for. I disagree and don't now what I can say to convince you otherwise. Despite my disagreement, I do respect your decision to refuse the offer.

I wish you luck in whatever endeavor you pursue.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
DiscretionarySpending on 11/10/2018(UTC)
Fed Investigator  
#203 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:10:16 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

TTB and NLRB are two agencies off the top of my head that promote to non-supervisory GS-13, both in the 1810 series. Both also do not make you wait three years to go from 12 to 13.

You have to understand that stringing along candidates for two, three and maybe up to four years is beyond the pale.

It is DEA's loss, all the time and money they put into me, they could have put into another candidate, security budget allocation or not. Also, not to mention their loss of a well qualified and experienced investigator. They are also going to eat the cost that OPM is going to charge them to conduct a needless investigation on me (I know, pennies in the grand scheme but pennies they could have saved). Instead of trying to find my clearance in JPAS, they are just going to request a full SSBI on me, brilliant!

I turned down the interim because first and foremost, it's ridiculous as I hold a TS. Secondly, I've spoken to several DIs (As OPM Investigator, I regularly interface with DEA employees at multiple levels) that are unhappy in the job and culture of DEA. I've discovered it may not be the greener grass I'm looking for. And lastly, I have other applications out and I want to see what happens with them first. Basically, DEA is now a back up plan and the longer I can put off hiring with them, the better for me. We can just string each other along at this point.

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:11:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GearUp  
#204 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:59:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Not trying to string anyone along. Just trying to explain some, I believe, misconceptions. Also, not defending the way the DEA does its hiring. Just explaining that it is what it is. And I'm expressing my opinion of the agency. Its much different once you make it to the inside.

Different series (1810 vs 1811). DIS used to be 1810s when the diversion program first started. Changes the series to better describe our investigative/enforcement role vs our compliance role. And you don't HAVE to wait 3 years before getting your 13. You can apply for your 13 after 1 year as a 12. You just have to submit a "promotion package" showing you're working at the 13 level.

Also, DEA is not "stringing along candidates." No one is forcing candidates to apply and no one is forcing them to continue in the process. Applicants can and do withdraw from the process all the time. It just takes a long time to get through the process and I think I've explained why it takes so long. The DEA has never accepted another agencies security clearances. The agency has always done its own clearance. Again, you may disagree but it is what it is. The DEA has its reasons for doing things the way they do when it comes to security clearances. Each agency does things differently.

Again, not a loss. Those funds are allocated and there is an expectation that not all candidates will make it. But the money has to be spent on recruiting, screening and hiring to get quality people. If some fall through the cracks or decide this isn't for them then better to find that out BEFORE spending more money training and equipping them.

You will find disgruntled employees in every agency. I know people who would moan, groan, and complain if you granted them every wish they asked for. Some people just aren't happy people. Those DIs just might not be happy people and wouldn't be happy anywhere they worked. Maybe they are the type who believe that they know better than management how things should run. It also depends on they day you talked to them. Maybe they were having a bad day or even a bad week. But its strange, don't you think, that despite them being "unhappy in the job and the culture of DEA" they're still with the DEA. Did you ask these DIs why they haven't quit the agency if they are so unhappy? Did you ask them if they have applications pending with other agencies? Its odd that they are still doing a job and working for an agency they are unhappy with. Heck, there are days when I'm not happy with the way DEA does things. I've expressed my frustration with the agency and some of its decisions to my supervisors many times. But overall, its a great job and a great agency. I know of a few (very few) DIs who left for other agencies (ATF and Homeland to name 2), only to come back to the DEA as a DI. They found the grass wasn't so green. Obviously your not 100% satisfied where you're currently working or you wouldn't have applied for this and all the other jobs. Because your're not 100% satisfied doesn't mean your agency is a bad agency or that other employees aren't 100% happy and satisfied. I don't know what the turnover rate is with the agency you currently work for but I do know the the turnover rate for the DEA and the Diversion Program is very, very low. The vast majority of the DIs retire from DEA rather than quit or move to an other agency.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I wish you luck in your pursuit of that perfect job and that perfect agency.
Fed Investigator  
#205 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:56:35 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

You are the one claiming this is the best job in the world. Of course there are always disgruntled employees. From my experience, DEA has quite a few.

But sadly, DEA is stringing along lots and lots of candidates needlessly.
Fed Investigator  
#206 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 9:38:26 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

And to clarify, I wasnt saying you were stringing us along, DEA is. You have been above and beyond helpful both to me as well as lots of others here.

LINY22  
#207 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:33:56 PM(UTC)
LINY22

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
https://bestplacestowork...il/DJAA#tab_category_tbl

YES DEA!!! Great work! Another reason I want to get in the January class. DEA ranked a lot better than both my current agency and another agency I applied to (which I was offered to start in February, which is why I want to get into the January DEA class).
AZShadowStorm  
#208 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:06:27 PM(UTC)
AZShadowStorm

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Cactus your inbox is full
AZcactus42  
#209 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:12:11 PM(UTC)
AZcactus42

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AZShadowStorm Go to Quoted Post
Cactus your inbox is full

Cleared.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed