Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1almostthere  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:39:01 PM(UTC)
1almostthere

Groups: Registered
United States

I only have 23 months until full retirement with 35 years at age 56.
I received Social Security Disability, and OWCP now.
Trying to decide if I should put in for Fers Disability, or just take retirement in 23 months.
My question is when I reach the age of 62 on Fers Disability would their be an offset on my Social Security Disability?
Also if I wait until 56 for full retirement would their be an offset on my Social Security Disability? Trying to figure out what is the best way to go.
I have enough in savings to hold me until I reach the age of 62 if Fers Disability is the best way to go.
annoyed-namous  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 02, 2017 12:14:30 PM(UTC)
annoyed-namous

By law you can only get 1 pubic disability benefits. The mere fact that you said you receive SSA disability and OWCP- worker comp, imply that one offset the other. The offset right now should be on SSA but if you apply for FERS disability then offset would be with FERS. Now, you know that you on the hook for both SSA disability and OWCP GROSS Amount for taxes right ? the same is true if you get FERS disability. The only way for you to escape the tax scheme whether you get FERS disability or Worker Comp is to convert at early retirement age @ 62 which implies an automatic 30 percent cut to your retirement check ( also carries over to your spouse or ex- spouses). I do not believe that you can collect OWCP and FERs Disability at the same time. But either way, your SSA disability will still subject to offset. Honestly I would work the 23 months to get full retirement FERS.
ironman0786  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:56:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The way I am understanding the question it seems you are asking if you take Fers Disability now and in 23 months when it converts to retirement will SSA disability continue to offset, and I believe the answer is no, from the limited knowledge I have about SSA rules, and what I have personally read on, it seems once you reach retirement age, your Fers Disability suppose to convert to normal retirement, based on this information you would get SSA disability and Fers pension.

I think as long as you are not under Fers Disability there should not be any offset because of SSA Disability. So even at age 56 you were get your limited FERS pension and your SSA disability payments. Again this is my understanding of the rules and have never worked with SSA so don't know the inner rules, if I am wrong please someone let me know. Thanks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed