Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rookieguy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:22:12 PM(UTC)
rookieguy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was offered a Federal Contract with a farm in DC. Relocation benefit etc. However, once my security clerance came by, I came to know that contract is till July, open for rebid. What upsets me more is they were dishonest on every step, lying on other contracts they have and duration . All their contracts are up by end of august up for rebid. Strange that why would they even hire me with so little time.
The farm does subcontract through a big farm.
I had dropped a offer with Big 4 as diff in pay was almost 10 k between the two farms. The recruiter change duration of the contract every time we talked. The project manager told me they would get an extension.
Lies.
I have worked on civilian side as contractor for long time. All recruiters were honest about duration of contract . etc.
Question is are all federal contracting companies like this?esp. the smaller ones?
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 1:01:27 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 346 post(s)
I wouldn't say they are dishonest... perhaps just adjusting the facts to their advantage :)

It is the same at a big farm just like on a small farm except for the number of animals.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
MadDog1080  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 03, 2017 3:12:37 PM(UTC)
MadDog1080

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Late to the party... the positives are that if you have a successfully adjudicated clearance, it may help open up doors down the road for other contracting outfits in the area. So, it's not a 100% loss.

Part of the reason you are being hired is that these contracting firms don't earn money unless a cleared heartbeat is filling the chair. So, if you can kinda/sorta do the work, you help your pimp fulfill the awarded contract and he/she gets their cut of the action and you get the rest.
MadDog1080  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 03, 2017 3:24:08 PM(UTC)
MadDog1080

BTW OP, your story does not surprise me at all, and I deal with these types of personalities at my current firm. They'll promise you the world and all these amazing opportunities. But, if a bump in the world occurs and the contract is lost or early-terminated, well, too bad, too sad, you're laid off.

Read up on contracting clause 249-2.
rookieguy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:19:20 PM(UTC)
rookieguy

United States

Thanks for reply. Sorry, I didn't saw it . Well can you kindly give me an insight how it feels to work as a federal contracting vs civilian? Civilian contract is very high paced, using cutting edge tools. I have heard that on federal, only benefit you get is workload is less.
rookieguy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:21:42 PM(UTC)
rookieguy

United States

Also, I have heard that clearance is specific only to a particular department. Like DOJ, DHS, DOD etc. all have individual process and they take pretty long .
MadDog1080  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:40:43 PM(UTC)
MadDog1080

Originally Posted by: rookieguy Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for reply. Sorry, I didn't saw it . Well can you kindly give me an insight how it feels to work as a federal contracting vs civilian? Civilian contract is very high paced, using cutting edge tools. I have heard that on federal, only benefit you get is workload is less.

You cannot paint hard truths for either federal or private sector contracting and/or federal or private sector project delivery. There are commercial sector client engagements that suck --- I know a few people in Atlanta working one. There are commercial sector engagements that are awesome as you enter literally the top companies in the world (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.) Federal contracting can go either way. Our nuclear systems still run very old code and hardware (from what I understand through public documents). Other capabilities we have in federal are literally bleeding edge and beyond what regular folk "know" about.

I would honestly suggest you google consulting experiences between different industry segments you're interested in and see what you like. In terms of "What it feels..." like --- you'll probably pull a mixed bag. It's like Google, I'm sure there are some people who absolutely love working for Google and would be miserable anywhere else. However, I do have a friend who lasted a year there and says it's not all that it's cracked up to be (they really do take care of their employees though).
MadDog1080  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:47:06 PM(UTC)
MadDog1080

Originally Posted by: rookieguy Go to Quoted Post
Also, I have heard that clearance is specific only to a particular department. Like DOJ, DHS, DOD etc. all have individual process and they take pretty long .

Efforts have been made to clean up and allow for more reciprocity among the different departments and agencies in the federal government, but you are correct, DOJ, DHS, and DoD do not necessarily have to accept each others clearances as they all have slightly different missions -- law enforcement, homeland, and global defense/offense -- and therefore different priorities of what is bad about an applicants personal history.

rookieguy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:39:22 PM(UTC)
rookieguy

United States

Thabks for reply. I think I will be well suited for federal contracting. I am really upset that even after getting a public trust i am unable to starf my work. I would anyday leave civilian sector to work in federal govt. Sector
Rss Feed  Atom Feed