Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:27:25 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 80 post(s)
We are now 30 days out from a possible government shutdown again!

I wish I could never end up having to say that but the current Continuing Resolution runs out in one month. Since Congress and the President aren't really talking about passing a budget properly at the moment, we at least know that'll take us through the end of PP 2017-08. The status tracker maintained by the Library of Congress doesn't really show any movement. FederalNewsRadio.com is at least bringing up the issue as of today. POLITICO is painting Chuck Schumer of New York as the one ready to stop the budget bill in their latest article.

The general deadline for filing is April 18th. 10 days later we'll see the budget run out. I suspect this year's season may be short if this budget for FY2017 isn't resolved.
mudpie  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:32:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 90 post(s)
You'll probably see a short term CR until Congress reconvenes then a CR thru FY 17. Then they will start the FY18 budget fighting....and yet another CR.
Hired 2015  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:53:19 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My prediction is they will favor project based scenario based on the weekly Nielsen ratings. There is no Wisconsin leadership to implement all the great ideas. Its a true story that Wisconsin sat out on of the bidding for a service center. Funny thing about that now today Wisconsin doesn't have the service center to lead the great ideas. This wasn't a plan worthy of Vince Lombardi.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 6:04:52 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: mudpie Go to Quoted Post
You'll probably see a short term CR until Congress reconvenes then a CR thru FY 17. Then they will start the FY18 budget fighting....and yet another CR.

You're missing the slight problem that we should be fighting over FY2018 appropriations right now instead of still trying to wrap up the appropriations for FY2017. There are a bare 155 days between the expiration of the current FY2017 Continuing Resolution and the end of the FY2017 appropriations year. We don't have appropriations for FY2017 written up and the process for writing the FY2018 appropriations hasn't even started up properly according to House Appropriations.

27 days remain until we see the current CR expire. The House will only be sitting, as currently scheduled, April 3rd-6th and April 25th-28th. With the call for "RESIST!!!!111!!!ONE!!!" being in the air, my hopes aren't high.

SnarkyWitch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 01, 2017 5:27:30 AM(UTC)
SnarkyWitch

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

27 days remain until we see the current CR expire. The House will only be sitting, as currently scheduled, April 3rd-6th and April 25th-28th. With the call for "RESIST!!!!111!!!ONE!!!" being in the air, my hopes aren't high.

I would expect CRs thru the end of 2017, too much the admin wants that neither party in Congress could live with and election season beginning for most of them just around the corner...Heck we might not see a real budget until after 2018 midterms just quarterly CRs so they don't have much to explain back home. I think the special elections may have a big influence over decision making in Congress. And if the Russia thing gets much further out of control, the regular work may spin out the window.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 02, 2017 4:20:48 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: SnarkyWitch Go to Quoted Post

I would expect CRs thru the end of 2017, too much the admin wants that neither party in Congress could live with and election season beginning for most of them just around the corner...Heck we might not see a real budget until after 2018 midterms just quarterly CRs so they don't have much to explain back home. I think the special elections may have a big influence over decision making in Congress. And if the Russia thing gets much further out of control, the regular work may spin out the window.

I've been having to "do science" this weekend but this one escaped my attention: LEGISLATIVE PROGRAM (House of Representatives - March 30, 2017). There's no CR currently in play and Democrats walked away from negotiating. These little chats between Steny Hoyer and Kevin McCarthy on the floor of the House of Representatives at the end of the sitting week are generally not amusing.

I'm going to a warplane museum next weekend. That'll be a nice treat in the middle of "crunch time". It is a "flying museum" so I don't know if the Fairey Firefly will be there when I actually get there.
SnarkyWitch  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 05, 2017 2:27:24 PM(UTC)
SnarkyWitch

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I'm going to a warplane museum next weekend. That'll be a nice treat in the middle of "crunch time". It is a "flying museum" so I don't know if the Fairey Firefly will be there when I actually get there.

Well I hope you enjoy it, speaking of museums our WWI museum is having a birthday party tomorrow and we were all encouraged to take leave since all of our parking entrances will be blocked off. I have an aversion to being around large crowds and motorcades so I'm staying home.
Mini1  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2017 12:30:45 PM(UTC)
Mini1

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I heard today that there is a rumor of an IRS shutdown come April 30th for 30 days....has anyone else heard anything like that?
Vinny  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2017 2:40:41 PM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mini1 Go to Quoted Post
I heard today that there is a rumor of an IRS shutdown come April 30th for 30 days....has anyone else heard anything like that?

Please. Nobody will know until right before April 28, everything else is pure crystal ball speculation.

So gazing into my crystal ball, here are the likeliest outcomes in order of probability IMO:

1. Short-term (say 30-60 days) CR
2. Long-term (through the end of FY 17) CR

3. Full budget for FY 2017

4. Brief (less than one week) furlough/shutdown followed by full budget

5. Long-term furlough/shutdown knives out trench warfare
LieutenantBlantyre  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2017 6:18:50 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Why would we start something on a Sunday? Bad rumor. Please squash.

Originally Posted by: Vinny Go to Quoted Post

Please. Nobody will know until right before April 28, everything else is pure crystal ball speculation.

So gazing into my crystal ball, here are the likeliest outcomes in order of probability IMO:

1. Short-term (say 30-60 days) CR
2. Long-term (through the end of FY 17) CR

3. Full budget for FY 2017

4. Brief (less than one week) furlough/shutdown followed by full budget

5. Long-term furlough/shutdown knives out trench warfare

We'll have a better idea Friday after the "legislative program" colloquy in the House. The drama in the Senate is possibly/probably hardening lines of division with the whole Neil Gorsuch confirmation mess. That there was a worried e-mail today from NTEU national passed around by the local chapter is somewhat unusual.

The gamblers at Cleveland are expecting to be out for an indefinite period once appropriations lapse as of 11:59:59 PM on April 28th. It isn't thought to be definite but positive action is becoming more of a longshot. Besides, the chief of chiefs just launched a significant missile attack on Syria so we have yet another thing to distract Congress.

md19  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:29:03 PM(UTC)
md19

United States

chriswt25  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 7:41:34 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Here we go with "The Sky is Falling" again. Every time we come upon this subject we get these worried threads about a shutdown.

The one time in recent history it actually happened, turned into a tremendous disaster for the pols, so the chances of them doing it again at this juncture, is slim to none IMO.

Every pol I have seen interviewed this time insists they will do a CR by the deadline, not that I want them to. May is not the worst time of the year to sit back as a seasonal and collect a little UI

The only angst I will have, is if they called me at 5 PM during a shutdown and told me to get back by the next A.M.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 8:07:34 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Here we go with "The Sky is Falling" again. Every time we come upon this subject we get these worried threads about a shutdown.

The one time in recent history it actually happened, turned into a tremendous disaster for the pols, so the chances of them doing it again at this juncture, is slim to none IMO.

Every pol I have seen interviewed this time insists they will do a CR by the deadline, not that I want them to. May is not the worst time of the year to sit back as a seasonal and collect a little UI

The only angst I will have, is if they called me at 5 PM during a shutdown and told me to get back by the next A.M.

Cleveland's new hires won't even qualify for unemployment according to Ohio Department of Job and Family Services rules. Not all of our returning seasonals will even qualify for unemployment at this stage. Massachusetts may have generous rules but not the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Some of us who are looking at the idea of "perm conversion" have a proprietary interest in hanging on to as many of the new hires as we can as Cleveland is still considered too top-heavy for a conversion. Top-heavy, in this case, means that perms outnumber the seasonals by at least a team and a half if not more. A shutdown for us would mean basically writing off the new hire class and emptying out the callsite again of all but a determined few who would come back.

Yeah, there is fear and in this case it is justifiable. Nothing has quite gone right or normally since Mr. Trump took office. The politicians can swear up and down that there won't be a shutdown but promises like that have expiration dates. Many expiration dates have just been earlier than expected lately.
chriswt25  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 09, 2017 9:48:29 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Cleveland's new hires won't even qualify for unemployment according to Ohio Department of Job and Family Services rules. Not all of our returning seasonals will even qualify for unemployment at this stage. Massachusetts may have generous rules but not the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Some of us who are looking at the idea of "perm conversion" have a proprietary interest in hanging on to as many of the new hires as we can as Cleveland is still considered too top-heavy for a conversion. Top-heavy, in this case, means that perms outnumber the seasonals by at least a team and a half if not more. A shutdown for us would mean basically writing off the new hire class and emptying out the callsite again of all but a determined few who would come back.

Yeah, there is fear and in this case it is justifiable. Nothing has quite gone right or normally since Mr. Trump took office. The politicians can swear up and down that there won't be a shutdown but promises like that have expiration dates. Many expiration dates have just been earlier than expected lately.

I take it NONE of these new hires held jobs before they started with the IRS this year? If they started late 2016 with training and had any kind of employment prior, then add what they have had at the IRS, most should/would get some benefits. As to last years hires, they would have had at least 3 creditable quarters in the past 15 months which would give them some form of eligibility. Maybe not the greatest benefits, but probably enough to stave off any kind of shutdown. Then again, it probably will be all moot, since come 5/1/2017 you will be taking calls at your desk waiting for the next "crisis"

I do hope you get offered a perm conversion, if that is what you want.

kitkatma  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 6:50:34 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)

I take it NONE of these new hires held jobs before they started with the IRS this year? If they started late 2016 with training and had any kind of employment prior, then add what they have had at the IRS, most should/would get some benefits. As to last years hires, they would have had at least 3 creditable quarters in the past 15 months which would give them some form of eligibility. Maybe not the greatest benefits, but probably enough to stave off any kind of shutdown. Then again, it probably will be all moot, since come 5/1/2017 you will be taking calls at your desk waiting for the next "crisis"

Not all states operate the same way when talking about UI. Missouri is one of the worst states when it comes to UI. If there is a shut down at the end of the month, the seasonals in the KC service center probably won't qualify regardless of prior employment, and for those of us who have "open claims" from the October furlough, by the time we are done jumping through hoops, we would in all likelihood be recalled before getting a UI check.

And this looming shut down is happening during filing season, even though the filing deadline is the 18th, a majority of bal due returns won't be filed until the deadline and they wouldn't get processed in the 10 days prior to the current CR expiring.

I don't think there will be a shut-down. It would not bode well for the Republicans and they could not blame the Dems with a majority in both houses. I do believe that will come down to the wire however.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 2:54:52 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post

Not all states operate the same way when talking about UI. Missouri is one of the worst states when it comes to UI. If there is a shut down at the end of the month, the seasonals in the KC service center probably won't qualify regardless of prior employment, and for those of us who have "open claims" from the October furlough, by the time we are done jumping through hoops, we would in all likelihood be recalled before getting a UI check.

And this looming shut down is happening during filing season, even though the filing deadline is the 18th, a majority of bal due returns won't be filed until the deadline and they wouldn't get processed in the 10 days prior to the current CR expiring.

I don't think there will be a shut-down. It would not bode well for the Republicans and they could not blame the Dems with a majority in both houses. I do believe that will come down to the wire however.

Outreach was made to my member of the House in the most polite way fashion.
Hired 2015  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 5:10:17 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
There is going centsability, the track record and looking at other state agencies that went through the change for the younger workforce. Two issues were dominate as more constant in those changes. One, reducing new hire turnover to shutdown the hire to train to get rid of mechanisms because younger workers aren't going to put up with it. Two, less micromanagement especially in call centers. Younger workers want the perks that aren't about pay or benefits. Modern call centers have had the leadgate concept in use since the late 1990s. Workers can take mixed shifts of 4-12 hours to build their own schedule and they swap shifts with other workers at anytime. The organization in call centers for the team lead, team manager, group manager and assorted call center managers also doesn't exist in modern call centers. Its more the managers get on the phones. Standard script responses service reps transfer to an extension to reduce call and waiting times. At my call center the rumor it will be an early furlough and its possible the center will be closed down all together by next year.
phillysteak  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 6:29:43 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
early furlough?? like in june or july? I'm down with that, any time off for vacation is good with me.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:22:25 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Meh: Government Shutdown Odds Are Rising, Goldman Warns | Zero Hedge http://www.zerohedge.com...are-rising-goldman-warns
LieutenantBlantyre  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:43:12 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

And then this at the world's least happy finance site -- 2017 Debt Crisis Looms: Congress Will Have 4 Days To Avoid A Government Shutdown On April 29 | Zero Hedge http://www.zerohedge.com...rnment-shutdown-april-29
Rss Feed  Atom Feed