Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frogger  
#41 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 10:57:24 AM(UTC)
Frogger

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 32 post(s)
See nothing to worry about. No summer vacation.
chriswt25  
#42 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 2:35:53 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)
It was obvious from the get go that there would not be a shut down this time. Even the agency understood this with their lack of "panic" leading up to today.

I guess they leave the "panic" up to people that post and needlessly worry people
LieutenantBlantyre  
#43 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 4:37:17 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: es7129 Go to Quoted Post
Passed the House with 382 YEAS.

It should have been a unanimous vote. Chaffetz of Utah being absent I can understand as frankly he may lose a foot without surgery. But the no votes from both sides of the aisle?

Originally Posted by: Vinny Go to Quoted Post

I really get tired of this game of roulette. The interesting bit coming up will be the nastiness in the "remainder of FY2017" appropriations. The sad thing from last night's Rules Committee hearing was the admission that THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED WRITING THE BLOODY APPROPRIATIONS BILLS FOR FY2018 YET that are due by September 30th.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#44 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 4:46:59 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
It was obvious from the get go that there would not be a shut down this time. Even the agency understood this with their lack of "panic" leading up to today.

I guess they leave the "panic" up to people that post and needlessly worry people

Obvious? If it was, you either need to start renting time on your crystal ball or put yourself on detail over to Homeland to help with analysis. A number of people paid far more than us who work at places like Goldman Sachs were expressing the same doubts about the extension actually happening.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
PrimaDawna on 4/28/2017(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#45 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 5:57:27 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 40 post(s)
The shut down in 2013 the agency was preparing us for weeks of an imminent shutdown. This time around it was like one or two emails. I found that the shutdown was also unlikely based on the lack of urgency put forth by the agency
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
BestBy2022 on 4/29/2017(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#46 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 6:12:39 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
The shut down in 2013 the agency was preparing us for weeks of an imminent shutdown. This time around it was like one or two emails. I found that the shutdown was also unlikely based on the lack of urgency put forth by the agency

If anything, chalk it up to uncertainty. How many different positions has the President had over the past few days about withdrawing from NAFTA? At the last time I counted, I think we were up to three. First it was immediate withdrawal, then it was let us use withdrawal as a cudgel for speeding negotiations, and now we're at perhaps maybe NAFTA isn't so bad after all.

There isn't much to prepare for when you're not quite sure where the President is going to land on an issue and if he'll stay put. My relatives in the shipping & logistics business in the private sector are not having a happy time trying to figure out the NAFTA stuff. Since they have cross-border shipping to clients in Canada, are they going to be stuck in the middle of diplomatic brinkmanship by the chief or not? They're stuck on the "Thelma and Louise" ride that trade policy is turning into at the moment trying to judge costs.

Certainty and uncertainty matter. When the Wall Street traders were putting out their reports, they were measuring shutdown risk based on uncertainty. We have certainty for the moment that we're funded through May 5th. Beyond that is an open question. Hopefully we see the proposals finally laid out next week and see what we get hit with.
PrimaDawna on 4/28/2017(UTC)
Vinny  
#47 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 6:48:51 PM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Watching the Senate deal with this resolution was interesting. 30 minutes of waiting for a quorum, speech by Patrick Leahy, speech by Chuck Schumer, another 30 minutes of waiting for a quorum, a call by McConnell to dispense with a quorum, quick voice vote with no objections from anyone, a couple of cloture filings, and recess until Monday. Must be nice.

Edited by user Friday, April 28, 2017 6:50:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#48 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 7:47:40 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post

Obvious? If it was, you either need to start renting time on your crystal ball or put yourself on detail over to Homeland to help with analysis. A number of people paid far more than us who work at places like Goldman Sachs were expressing the same doubts about the extension actually happening.

No cracks in this crystal ball. Actually no crystal ball used. Just common sense. There was no way these pols would let this happen at this time/ They have been stating it for weeks. ALL of them.
chriswt25  
#49 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 7:49:18 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

Correct
LieutenantBlantyre  
#50 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 6:10:03 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Congress Reaches Deal To Keep Government Open Through September | Zero Hedge http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2...t-open-through-october-1

Unnamed sources again, though.

[REUTERS] U.S. congressional talks yield deal to fund government through September: source http://reut.rs/2qje0u0

The contents should be exciting. Will there be cuts? Who gets cuts? Will there be capital spending on ANSC?
PrimaDawna on 5/2/2017(UTC)
phillysteak  
#51 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 6:38:43 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ahhhh!!! I was looking forward to a nice summer break. So if the deal to last through September, I guess the furlough will be after that, like October or November??
slowpoke  
#52 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 12:24:41 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Anyone taking bets on chances of a deal done by Friday vs a shutdown vs another CR?
Vinny  
#53 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 10:53:52 AM(UTC)
Vinny

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here's the 2017 appropriations Bill, H.R.244:

https://www.congress.gov...-congress/house-bill/244

Here's the current markup:

https://rules.house.gov/...RT-RU00-SAHR244-AMNT.pdf

I think it gets done this week.

BTW, IRS gets same as FY2016 - $11.24 billion. See beginning on page 482.

Edit: corrected amount

Edited by user Tuesday, May 02, 2017 5:32:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: corrected amount

thanks 1 user thanked Vinny for this useful post.
PrimaDawna on 5/2/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed