Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Civil10  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 5:54:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Ok,say I'm a Federal Employee, and I have 35 years credible service. If I get a disability retirement I get 60% first year then 40% of high 3. Now say I have 5 years of credible service and get a dis retirement, does the years I'm in count toward the formula, or do I get 60% then 40% high 3?
nightstalker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:47:14 AM(UTC)
nightstalker2

i was told because If you are and have 40 yrs of service i could not apply for disability retirement if you are fers is this true
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 4:05:55 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightstalker2 Go to Quoted Post
i was told because If you are and have 40 yrs of service i could not apply for disability retirement if you are fers is this true

I don't think it's 40 years of service. FERS disability benefits are computed in different ways depending on your age and amount of service at retirement. In addition, FERS disability retirement benefits are recomputed after the first twelve months and again at age 62, if you are under age 62 at the time of disability retirement. From the OPM website:

Disability Retirement Computation

FERS disability benefits are computed in different ways depending on the annuitant’s age and amount of service at retirement. In addition, FERS disability retirement benefits are recomputed after the first twelve months and again at age 62, if the annuitant is under age 62 at the time of disability retirement.

FERS Disability Computation if you are age 62 or older at retirement, or meet the age and service requirements for immediate voluntary retirement, you receive your “earned” annuity based on the general FERS annuity computation, as follows:

• If you are age 62 or older at retirement with less than 20 years of service, or you are under age 62 qualified for an immediate voluntary retirement -- 1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service.

• If you are age 62 or older with 20 or more years of service -- 1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service.

FERS Disability Computation if you are under age 62 at retirement, and not eligible for immediate voluntary retirement:

• For the first 12 months -- 60% of your high-3 average salary minus 100% of your Social security benefit for any month in which you are entitled to Social Security benefits. However, you are entitled to your “earned” annuity, if it is larger than this amount.

• After the first 12 months -- 40% of your high-3 average salary minus 60% of your Social Security benefit for any month in which you are entitled to Social Security disability benefits. However, you are entitled to your “earned” annuity, if it is larger than this amount.

When you reach age 62 your annuity will be recomputed using an amount that essentially represents the annuity you would have received if you had continued working until the day before your 62nd birthday and then retired under FERS.

• If your actual service, plus the credit for time as a disability annuitant equals less than 20 years -- 1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service.

• If your actual service, plus the credit for time as a disability annuitant equals 20 or more years -- 1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service.

• Total Service used in the computation will be increased by the amount of time you have received a disability annuity.

• Average Salary used in the computation will be increased by all FERS cost-of-living increases paid during the time you received a disability annuity.

TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 4:16:55 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Civil10 Go to Quoted Post
Ok,say I'm a Federal Employee, and I have 35 years credible service. If I get a disability retirement I get 60% first year then 40% of high 3. Now say I have 5 years of credible service and get a dis retirement, does the years I'm in count toward the formula, or do I get 60% then 40% high 3?

You would get the 60% and 40% amounts in those scenarios only if you are under age 62 and not qualified for an immediate voluntary retirement. And, those percentages are decreased by 100% of your Social Security benefit for any month in which you are entitled to Social Security benefits. If you are age 62 or qualified for an immediate voluntary retirement, then the normal retirement calculations apply. Yes, the time spent in disability retirement counts toward the ultimate retirement calculation. Once you reach age 62, your annuity will be recomputed using an amount that essentially represents the annuity you would have received if you had continued working until the day before your 62nd birthday and then retired under FERS. Your total service used in the computation will be increased by the amount of time you have received a disability annuity, and your average salary used in the computation will be increased by all FERS cost-of-living increases paid during the time you received a disability annuity. See the Disability Retirement Computation section at the OPM website: https://www.opm.gov/reti...tirement/#url=Disability .
Rss Feed  Atom Feed