Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 7:53:40 AM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 48

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am a postal employee and have BCBS. Both of my parents have died. I have a brother with downs syndrome. Right now, I am petitioning the court for gaurdianship and conservatorship of my brother. An advocacy group that I am working with says that I may be able to add him to my health insurance. Right now he is on Medicare and pays for a suppliment plan. His only income is SSI and he has never worked.
#2 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 3:26:48 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)
Posts: 896

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 35 post(s)
You'll probably get a definitive answer shortly here on your question.

Meanwhile, I didn't see providing him coverage in fehb unless perhaps he is under age 26 and you either adopt him or he is your foster child, see this OPM link:

Congratulations on taking responsibility for your brother.
#3 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 6:57:39 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,600
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 75 times
Was thanked: 523 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Though you are not a member, maybe call your union HBP and see what they say.

If they will add him, BCBS should.
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2017 10:58:53 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/1/2012(UTC)
Posts: 89

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
As guardian he may be approved as a disabled adult as he was disabled prior to age 21. My son is on my insurance as a disabled adult and will always be on my insurance. He receives SSDI and he has medicaid. I suggest you contact your health insurance and HR to get the current regulations and requirements for disabled adults on your health insurance. I had to get a letter from his physician and gave that to HR. Then BCBS added him to my plan and also BENEFEDS for dental and vision coverage.

Best of luck!
#5 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 3:52:39 PM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 48

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When I go to OPM.GOV, he meets the requirements to add him to my FEHB. On the OPM.GOV website, there is an enrollment form that you can fill out to add somebody to your plan. The problem is that it doesn't say where to send it. I contacted shared services and they sent me a packet that asked for medical documentation. I sent documentation from 2 doctors along with the court papers stating that I am his guardian. Shared services received that paperwork on July 30. I called today and they tell me that they need 3 more weeks to make a decision. Really, 7 weeks to make a decision, seems excessive to me.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.375 seconds.