Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cs79  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:39:31 AM(UTC)
cs79

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:

The Environmental Protection Agency is offering early buyout and early retirement in the wake of President Donald Trump’s government reorganization directive.

In an April 17 memo from EPA Acting Deputy Administrator Michael Flynn, which was obtained by Federal News Radio, he said the agency’s goal is to complete the early out program by the end of June.

“The [Office of Management and Budget] guidance … requires all agencies to begin taking immediate actions on near-term workforce reductions,” Flynn said in his memo. “In light of this guidance, we will begin the steps necessary to initiate an early out/buy out (VERA/VSIP) program.”

http://federalnewsradio....ncy-reorganization-plan/
TwinkieAI  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 12:19:26 AM(UTC)
TwinkieAI

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sad.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 3:28:40 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 463 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Not necessarily sad... there's probably some people who have been waiting for this for a long time!

The question is, which agency will be next?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
socGrad  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 1:08:17 PM(UTC)
socGrad

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
early retirement buyouts sound better than letting go of all us newbies! maybe some people want to retire early!
King_Fed  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:28:21 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Not necessarily sad... there's probably some people who have been waiting for this for a long time!

I don't think this is sad either... much better to go this route instead of picking every third new person or something crazy like that!

Matter of fact, a lady in our office wants to take an early out since she wants to start a family, her husband makes good money, and she is doing realty on the side. Some others are going to retire and some I'd force retire (sorry if that sounds insensitive - but some people have it good and will never leave on their own, even though they don't need the money).

If it is a force buyout (not retirement) of someone who is not prepared, that is sad, I agree... I hope that does not happen to anyone.
TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 5:52:53 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: King_Fed Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post

I don't think this is sad either... much better to go this route instead of picking every third new person or something crazy like that!

Matter of fact, a lady in our office wants to take an early out since she wants to start a family, her husband makes good money, and she is doing realty on the side. Some others are going to retire and some I'd force retire (sorry if that sounds insensitive - but some people have it good and will never leave on their own, even though they don't need the money).

If it is a force buyout (not retirement) of someone who is not prepared, that is sad, I agree... I hope that does not happen to anyone.

I don't think they can force acceptance of a buyout or early retirement. Those are voluntary actions to avoid a reduction in force (RIF). If one believes his/her agency will end up conducting a RIF, he/she should carefully study the RIF rules and determine the risk. By law, RIFs must consider four factors in releasing employees: tenure of employment (e.g., type of appointment); veterans preference; length of service; and performance ratings. If a RIF is likely to end in an employee being separated, that person might be better off taking a buyout rather than severance pay. People who would otherwise be separated in a RIF but meet certain retirement criteria have the ability to retire under the same terms as an optional early retirement (I believe). For FERS retirements, the Discontinued Service Retirement as a result of a RIF is at age 50 and 20 years total creditable service or any age and 25 years total creditable service. A FERS Discontinued Service Annuity for someone under the age of 55 does not result in any reduction to the annuity (but if the person transferred to FERS and has service under CSRS, the CSRS portion of the annuity will be reduced by 2 percent per year if the person is under age 55). OPM has decent information available for anyone interested:

https://www.opm.gov/poli...s-in-force/#url=Overview

Rss Feed  Atom Feed