Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ADDRocks  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:29:42 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I think I need to apply for disability retirement. I live check to check because the locality is so expensive and I really have no savings. I am a long way from regular retirement. My concern is that my agency could separate me when I apply. I am currently working with "less than fully successful" rating and barely getting assignments done while using up leave balances to make up for the reduced hours. My supervisor has been very understanding. I see people with 9 month processing times with OPM. I would be homeless if I had to wait that long. How do I find out whether I can keep working as is until it is processed?
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:11:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Yes you can however your concerns are legitimate
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
ADDRocks on 4/20/2017(UTC)
clancey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:36:39 AM(UTC)
clancey

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi there,
You certainly can keep working but I would suggest you apply for Reasonable Accommodations as soon as possible. You will have to for Disability Retirement anyway, but maybe you can get the option of taking any kind of leave due to your disability. That includes AL, SL and LWOP. I just recently stopped working and I applied for DR in April 2016. My case was assigned in late January 2017 and still hasn't been completed. I applied for extended LWOP because i just couldn't do it any longer and only got approved after I got a letter from my Dr stating I was "incapacitated" and no longer able to work. So now I'm still waiting (I posted a timeline in a past post.)I have since reapplied for SSD and am patiently awaiting word from someone...anyone... 😉
thanks 1 user thanked clancey for this useful post.
ADDRocks  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:36:19 AM(UTC)

Thanks. My Dr was very supportive of either taking me off work or leaving me in. I won't be able to get SSDI because I can clearly work part time (for now). Although the Dr thinks I could get it with a lawyer. I just can't survive on part time financially with kids to support. I am hoping to use OPM disability as a subsidy to allow me to work part time somewhere else... Too bad there isn't an alternative like part time in my current job for 80% of full time pay since that is what the gov will eventually be on the hook for if I get approved for OPM disability and try for part time gov at a different agency. (Assuming I can do that)
GSBS  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:52:47 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ADDRocks Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. My Dr was very supportive of either taking me off work or leaving me in. I won't be able to get SSDI because I can clearly work part time (for now). Although the Dr thinks I could get it with a lawyer. I just can't survive on part time financially with kids to support. I am hoping to use OPM disability as a subsidy to allow me to work part time somewhere else... Too bad there isn't an alternative like part time in my current job for 80% of full time pay since that is what the gov will eventually be on the hook for if I get approved for OPM disability and try for part time gov at a different agency. (Assuming I can do that)

Clancey, be careful about accepting any monies at this point if you want to see any backpay from your last day in office.

ADDRocks, it would be 40%, not 80% the Government would be on the 'hook' for (60% in year one). You can not get another Federal Job and collect OPM D.R. without OPM taking back a dollar for dollar offset

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
clancey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:19:36 PM(UTC)
clancey

United States

GSBS, I totally understand about accepting money but I'm not sure why you think I have. There is no money paid out on extended LWOP. Maybe I'm misunderstanding or misled you in my post. I am not getting any pay or benefits from them at this point and will continue in this status until there is some sort of action on my DR or SSD. I do really appreciate your feedback 😊
GSBS  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:47:56 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: clancey Go to Quoted Post
GSBS, I totally understand about accepting money but I'm not sure why you think I have. There is no money paid out on extended LWOP. Maybe I'm misunderstanding or misled you in my post. I am not getting any pay or benefits from them at this point and will continue in this status until there is some sort of action on my DR or SSD. I do really appreciate your feedback 😊
That is a great question and I could possibly be wrong, however taking Annual or Sick pay takes you out of an unpaid statues and could wipe out any back pay. Just like what we read from Guts, mysteriously his wife with at least a half a year of back pay due got some unwanted advanced leave. Do not accept any advanced pay, whether it be donated sick leave, administrative leave, or even $10. You will be fully compensated for any unused leave when your application is approved, A/L in cash & S/L added to your time in service!

clancey  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:55:57 PM(UTC)
clancey

United States

GSBS,
Before I went out on extended LWOP, I made sure all of my leave was exhausted (even on pay statement since I don't know that I totally trust HR estimates.) I think I'm good... I also refused to enter into the donated leave program to avoid any surprizes 😉. But, once again, you provide excellent food for thought. Thanks again!
thanks 1 user thanked clancey for this useful post.
GSBS on 4/20/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed