Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

24 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Manny06  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:28:48 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Good morning good people,
Does anyone, who have been through the hiring process start to finish, know how it works after the background investigation is completed? Once its complete, the investigator sends the packet to the adjudication department and then they make a decision? Is the adjudication step where it can take forever? Are you then put on a "cleared" and put into a pool until they can figure out where and when you will work? Thanks in advance.
thanks 1 user thanked Manny06 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 4/25/2017(UTC)
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:15:36 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Adjudication doesn't take forever but it sure seems that way.

Once you get cleared, there is some sort of cleared list that gets sent around to offices along with your resume. I guess they can express an interest. You should then get a call from HR with the offer... I am not sure if you can decline an offer in hope of getting a better one.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Manny06 on 4/25/2017(UTC), rebels8 on 4/25/2017(UTC)
Manny06  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:18:11 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

Will the FO have your actual duty station on there? I heard you can be stationed anywhere.
Cwal897  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:10:48 AM(UTC)
Cwal897

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Demrob75 Go to Quoted Post
Will the FO have your actual duty station on there? I heard you can be stationed anywhere.

Yes the FJO includes your official duty station.
Manny06  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:58:18 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

Now can you negotiate your station?
Cwal897  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:46:31 AM(UTC)
Cwal897

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Demrob75 Go to Quoted Post
Now can you negotiate your station?

I think once you enter the hiring pool you are chosen and that's the billet and location you are offered! Not sure if an additional negotiation is possible after that! From my understanding I was not assigned to the hiring pool! I was assign a specific billet in a office at my hiring event and it's was in my CJO!
thanks 1 user thanked Cwal897 for this useful post.
auspex  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:59:38 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I imagine that the career field(s) in the FJO would be a variable. S&T probably has a very different path than, say, counterintelligence.

I wouldn't turn anything down based on billet. Where you are from year to year is apt to change with some frequency depending on your path. I'd think your first assignment is probably not where you would be in two years (again, unless you're in tech or police or something like that).

thanks 1 user thanked auspex for this useful post.
Manny06  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 6:06:35 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

Good morning good people,

This is just an update....I recvd a call from my background investigator, and with all the horror stories circulating about not returning calls and so forth, my investigator kept in touch the whole way. She was very forthcoming with the process. She let me know that it is still a long process but we are moving in the right direction. Which was a sense of relief because of the communication gap at times. My packet will be sent over within the next few days and its on to the next stage, which i think is adjudication correct?
rebels8 on 4/28/2017(UTC)
Robot thug  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 6:22:49 AM(UTC)
Robot thug

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The packet will be sent over, but until they start reviewing it you are in another waiting list sort of if that makes sense. But yes the next step is adjudication once they continue it.
thanks 1 user thanked Robot thug for this useful post.
auspex  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 3:35:43 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

My BI turned out to be elderly, hard of hearing, confused AND confusing (the former leading to the latter), and a corner-cutter. On top of which, he asked me to provide one of my SF-86 references with a name and contact information for a "developed character reference" because he couldn't ask ME for one, but to make things easier on him in terms of getting a reference who is a person not on my SF-86 that would speed things up.

Obvious shenanigans. I didn't know what a "developed character reference" was, but someone I keep in touch with from this board filled me in on it and that it's a serious security violation to ask a subject to provide that, even if by proxy (that's a technicality).

The words "serious security violation" made me feel ill. I reported it to my CPC person, who passed it to someone who oversees BIs, and I missed a call from that person VERY early in the morning the next day (time zones, oof). I haven't heard anything from anyone in agency since, but I did get texts from the BI yesterday indicating that he had been to my neighborhood to get what he needed on me at my current residential address.

I don't know what's going on, or what the most logical assumption about all of this would be. I would have thought that he'd be removed from investigation if that's his methodology (if that's what he wanted me to do, good bet he's done it to all the other candidates, and nobody has said anything about it in the past because what he promises is that doing so will make the investigation go faster and who doesn't want to get done quickly?), but maybe that takes time. Or maybe it's really no big deal.

Our meeting made me nervous as hell because he was indicating a frequent willingness to cut corners and skip steps. He hadn't read my SF-86. He kept confusing me with someone else and/or making rhetorical statements about "my" past that weren't actually related to me at all. I had to yell my answers because he repeatedly said SPEAK UP! and SLOW DOWN!

Side kvetch: I get that elderly men don't like the idea of wearing hearing aids because it offends their self-image to need one, but what I don't get is why they think it's more dignified to skip the hearing aid and then not be able to hear what people are saying, which makes them appear confused or cognitively impaired.

I am seriously envious of everyone who got a BI who is running a tight, orderly, comprehensive ship following protocol. It makes me nervous as hell to have this guy as my BI, and because he's a man of a certain age/generation and I'm a younger woman, he kept rebuking me for appearing concerned and nervous.

Dude, of course I'm nervous. You're literally sitting here telling me that you intend not to do a responsible job on my BI. Some people might think "hey, easy pass" but I can't with that. One, I want this to go smoothly, which means I want it to be done right. I have no concerns about my actual background. I have some real concerns about how he's going to write it up if he's not actually doing my background investigation accurately/correctly/honestly. Two, if his approach is one that will call all of his past investigations into question at some point and thus put the clearances of everyone who passed through his gate into question, YIKES.

I feel a bit ill about the whole thing, and do wish someone from the agency could tell me what's going on. But of course... That's probably not going to happen. Also, I have moved so much (residences CONUS and OCONUS) that he's not going to be the only investigator, just the one in my current state. I think. I don't know if the other investigators will be from other contractors, but I have looked at the website for THIS contractor (the one my BI comes from) and it looks like a hot mess. I swear it's an old Angelfire page. At a minimum, it's no more than a free shake-n-bake html site for a small family business, basically.

Very possibly the only time anyone has ever said this, but I wish I'd gotten someone from Keypoint.

thanks 1 user thanked auspex for this useful post.
rebels8  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 4:02:21 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Auspex,

Do you mind telling us what a "developed character reference" is supposed to be?
someoldguy  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 5:19:48 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
The Security office distances themselves from the private companies who hire independent contractors. The private companies distance themselves from the independent contractors.

Is that correct? It was my understanding (possibly incorrect) that DIA contracted directly with investigators who are mostly retired feds. At any rate I don't think they use the usual gang of OPM contract companies.

Hang on, I can tell you that once you get past all this you will have more contact with actual people who will answer questions!

In the meantime let me share this little snippet of security info from the most recent Analysis Monthtly Newsletter:
Quote:
Security (Average 76 days): Security will conduct a background investigation to determine favorable adjudication. Please be patient, as updates from Security on your processing are minimal, and adjudication can take up to 1 year (12 months) depending on an individual’s background.

(emphasis added)

Not sure how a process that takes an average of 76 days includes an adjudication phase that can take up to a year but its just numbers :)

thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
Kaliino on 4/28/2017(UTC)
rebels8  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 5:22:00 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Kaliino,

I can understand that mistakes made my the investigators during the BI could make the process longer. But how would it prevent a candidate from being given an FJO if the mistakes aren't his or her fault?
someoldguy  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 5:30:30 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: rebels8 Go to Quoted Post
But how would it prevent a candidate from being given an FJO if the mistakes aren't his or her fault?

If inaccurate info that is not favorable makes it into the final report, the adjudicator could decide not to grant a clearance... it has been known to happen. From what I've read on these forums, the adjudicators do reach out to candidates for additional info, so hopefully any discrepancies could be addressed at that point.

auspex  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 7:11:36 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: auspex Go to Quoted Post
My BI turned out to be elderly, hard of hearing, confused AND confusing (the former leading to the latter)... Our meeting made me nervous as hell because he was indicating a frequent willingness to cut corners and skip steps. He hadn't read my SF-86. He kept confusing me with someone else and/or making rhetorical statements about "my" past that weren't actually related to me at all. I had to yell my answers because he repeatedly said SPEAK UP! and SLOW DOWN!

It's a bit soothing to hear that someone other than myself has experienced excessive incompetence during the background investigation phase. T

I don't know if I could go so far as to call it that, but I can tell you that this was not a mere question of incompetence, it's a question of this guy *literally, boldly stated his intention to commit a security violation as part of my BI and requested my participation in that violation* - I've reported that, and now I have no idea wth is going on.

I regret that it sounded like an invitation to klatsch about incompetence, as I'm sure we could now go far and wide on that topic - but this isn't that (so far, afaik). I just don't know what else to do besides tell CPC. She *did* pass it across the fence to someone else, but after that point, I just don't know. Maybe this is truly a point at which I should be endeavoring to find someone with a different job title to find out what I just did to my BI by ratting out my investigator, but hell if I know who or what that would be.

I mean, I can only assume that they'd care, but maybe I'm way off base on that.

As far as it meaning that I'm f*cked, I decline to join you on that assumption.
auspex  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 7:54:15 PM(UTC)
auspex

United States

I said what it was in my original post, fwiw.

I guess I'm down to waiting to see what happens next. I just wish I knew someone who had some familiarity with the internal mechanisms who could say "oh, yeah, when that happens they reboot" or "oh, nobody is gonna care about that, it's going to keep going as is" or whatever.

I'm pretty sure I've found the specific contact that I need, I'll try that on Monday.

Edited by user Friday, April 28, 2017 8:12:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

auspex  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 8:19:06 AM(UTC)
auspex

United States

Update: sorted. Whew.
Manny06  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:00:41 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

Good morning all,
Has anyone had two seperate BI's contact the same reference? The reference lives out of state but was contacted by the 1st investigator and then I received a call (from a seperate BI) again asking if my reference knew that his name was used and he would meet the investigator face to face. I havent read on the blog that 1 reference has been contacted twice...
Manny06  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 8:41:21 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

Also just found out that one of my contacts with whom the investigator in another state wanted to meet face to face...is possibly out of the country for a month!!!! just when you thought you were mmaking real progress...lol oh well, I wonder what will happen. Will they wait on the guy to return? or move on to the next.....or if this was the last interview, will they skip it?
Manny06  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 8:46:48 AM(UTC)
Manny06

Man

This reference was the only one out of state. Will they want to meet with someone esle thats on my list? The next reference will not be out of state, so i wonder if my Maryland investigator will be notified to interview another person?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed