Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

90 Pages«<8485868788>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1701 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:19:21 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 958 time(s) in 807 post(s)
Since any job could potentially be "short term" there's no sense in limiting yourself.

New grads are attractive to employers since they can pay you less AND you are still young and impressionable, eager to please, and haven't yet figured out what you can get away with and what you don't have to put up with (not like us old guys who have been around the block a few times).

Put your resume on clearancejobs.com and be prepared for your email to fill up with spam from recruiters. Hard to tell some of them from Nigerian banking scams.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
dallascowboysfan  
#1702 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 8:38:30 PM(UTC)
dallascowboysfan

United States

Haha true but thanks for the info. I'd really like the fed job just die to the end game (pension) and benefits for working for feds and DoD (Student loans and the free masters program) I've already gotta a couple responses from DoD contractors but these positions seem more permanent positions s for those companies.
Wu2U  
#1703 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:31:01 AM(UTC)
Wu2U

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Howdy-

I just got through, timeline below. FYI, I'm a grad-studebt grad with little HUMINT applicable experience. There are a lot of you in the pool.

08/17- CJO
10/17- CPC
02/17- BI complete

12/18- call for in person interview

02/18- FJO

HUMINT

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:32:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

---------
Civilian. Female.
morgan05  
#1704 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 8:59:09 AM(UTC)
morgan05

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have a staffing POC they can DM me?
DiamondLeague  
#1705 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2019 9:52:37 AM(UTC)
DiamondLeague

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: morgan05 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have a staffing POC they can DM me?

1. For what purpose?
2. Its not good to just be giving our others info.
rebels8  
#1706 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 3:34:47 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Has anybody on this forum had their career development officer (CDO) recommend them for one or more positions at DIA? If so, did you ever hear back about the position(s)? Either the hiring manager contacting you to discuss your interest in the position or the OHR just contacting you to give you a FJO for the position. And if you did hear back about the position(s), about how long was it after the CDO recommended you?
#MMlivesmatter
rebels8  
#1707 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 6:22:14 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post

If someone was referred to a hiring manager, by a CDO, it would have been mentioned already on this forum. I have no memory of that ever happening... so it's safe to say that it's not a common occurrence.

Well mission management may be unique in this regard since it's a small career field and there are apparently a lot more people on the MM cleared list than there are vacant MM billets.
#MMlivesmatter
Chevy82  
#1708 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 7:37:39 PM(UTC)
Chevy82

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 508 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rebels8 Go to Quoted Post

If someone was referred to a hiring manager, by a CDO, it would have been mentioned already on this forum. I have no memory of that ever happening... so it's safe to say that it's not a common occurrence.

Well mission management may be unique in this regard since it's a small career field and there are apparently a lot more people on the MM cleared list than there are vacant MM billets.

MM is not unique.

Every career field has more cleared applicants than there are vacancies.

Or there wouldn’t be vacancies.

Or a hiring pool.

Presumably CDO’s can only work to place candidates in vacancies they’re aware of. So if the hiring manager doesn’t reach out or make it public he has a vacancy, it’s hard for the CDO to get involved.

Also new hires are a small fraction of CDO’s jobs. They also handle spousal movements, ACAP, promotions, transfers, internal hires, reclassifications, and other programs/methods of personnel and developmental issues.

It’s not like a vacancy comes out and suddenly people are checking the cleared pool.

Why would I hire someone new when I can get someone experienced?

Also, in order to hire someone from the pool, vacant billets have to be downgraded to allow 7-10 to fill them, so often times billets will remain vacant simply because of these processes no one wants to deal with.

Kaliino is right. These are questions you don’t want answers to. Apply and forget. I got what most people here would consider “positive movement” or “good news”.

I’ve been working as a contractor, promoted I’ve already, about to shift jobs to something pretty sexy, and I’m making a career and growing where I’m planted. Im actually very happy where I am and am weighing heavily on the idea of a FJO vs my current situation.

Live your life like this want happen. Don’t work around this. I stopped doing that a year ago.
thanks 1 user thanked Chevy82 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 3/16/2019(UTC)
someoldguy  
#1709 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 3:53:38 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Chevy82 Go to Quoted Post
Why would I hire someone new when I can get someone experienced?
This is part of the problem. I think this especially impacts some of the MM specialties because they include jobs which used to be filled by folks with more experience. The career field leadership and HR sometimes have to lean on hiring managers to get them to bring on new folks who sometimes have no intel background at all.

As far as downgrading the billets, I think that is already taking place. There are very very few billets below the 11 grade. Many people I meet seem to be in higher grade billets even though they came in at 7-10 grade. But that hiring manager is hoping that they can find someone with experience to fill those higher grade slots before agreeing to put a new hire in there.

thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
someoldguy  
#1710 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 11:58:54 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

If you see a billet that has received multiple downgrades (i.e. GG-07/11) then that means the hiring manager has previously attempted to fill the position four times without success.
Like many other Kalicisms, I call BULLS#!T on this one. Why? Because several billets in my organization have been downgraded which have occupants in them. The occupant (or incumbent) is a 13, but if they should leave, it will be advertised at a lower level.

someoldguy  
#1711 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 2:35:25 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

"Savvy?" - Captain Jack Sparrow, The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
Yes. You are making s#!t up. Again.

CSX90  
#1712 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 11:34:21 PM(UTC)
CSX90

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
What's the longest anyone here has waited from Application to FJO?
rebels8  
#1713 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 6:49:29 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: CSX90 Go to Quoted Post
What's the longest anyone here has waited from Application to FJO?

Well I applied in October 2016 and I'm expecting a FJO, hopefully, within the next few weeks. So it'll probably be about 2 1/2 years for me.
#MMlivesmatter
sealzang  
#1714 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:21:13 AM(UTC)
sealzang

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good morning everyone,

I got the FJO Friday. General Engineer in S&T career field. Not the location I hoped for (big surprise) or preferred specialty but the numbers were impressive and I do want to get my foot in the door. They went a grade higher than my CJO and 4-year, 15% incentive so my guess is there's a big demand in this field. Now my question is how soon after my EOD can I start trying to relocate without upsetting my higher-ups and how difficult will the process be? Also for the love of god if there are S&T officers reading this please share your experience and any advice you may have for candidates. This field is almost non-existent in this forum. Finally I haven't signed anything yet but I'm sure I will soon. Also it's good ask your POC about counting your previous experience for leave accrual purposes if they don't already mention it.

Timeline:

CJO: Mid 06/2018
CPC: Mid 07/2018
BI: Mid 07/2018 - not sure
Cleared email: Mid 10/2018
FJO: Mid 04/2019
EDO: Multiple dates available, deciding between two in June.

Good luck to all of you waiting for the FJO or to be cleared!

Edited by user Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:29:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked sealzang for this useful post.
rebels8 on 4/17/2019(UTC)
Bird_Dog_703  
#1715 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:00:41 AM(UTC)
Bird_Dog_703

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sealzang Go to Quoted Post
Good morning everyone,

Now my question is how soon after my EOD can I start trying to relocate without upsetting my higher-ups and how difficult will the process be?

What they will tell you at Touchstone is you can apply to a different position within the same career field after 12 months and any position within the Agency after 24 months. E.g. since you are engineer with S&T, can you apply to a new position after a year but in must be within S&T and not another directorate. However, this isn't necessarily accurate as folks have been applying and starting new jobs outside their career field after only 12 months - its just you need approval from OHR, which apparently isn't that difficult to obtain.

So bottom line, you could probably get a new position after being in place one year. As far as upsetting any apple carts, some people hold grudges, some people don't. From what I've seen, people move around quite frequently, so I wouldn't worry about it much unless you make it a habit.

Be also advised you can REJECT the offer and go back into the hiring pool and try to wait for the location you want. But if you went through the approval process to get more $ then you will have to go through that again and the new approvers could say no. So there are risks either way.

thanks 2 users thanked Bird_Dog_703 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 4/17/2019(UTC), sealzang on 4/17/2019(UTC)
rebels8  
#1716 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:31:38 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: sealzang Go to Quoted Post
Good morning everyone,

I got the FJO Friday. General Engineer in S&T career field. Not the location I hoped for (big surprise) or preferred specialty but the numbers were impressive and I do want to get my foot in the door. They went a grade higher than my CJO and 4-year, 15% incentive so my guess is there's a big demand in this field. Now my question is how soon after my EOD can I start trying to relocate without upsetting my higher-ups and how difficult will the process be? Also for the love of god if there are S&T officers reading this please share your experience and any advice you may have for candidates. This field is almost non-existent in this forum. Finally I haven't signed anything yet but I'm sure I will soon. Also it's good ask your POC about counting your previous experience for leave accrual purposes if they don't already mention it.

Timeline:

CJO: Mid 06/2018
CPC: Mid 07/2018
BI: Mid 07/2018 - not sure
Cleared email: Mid 10/2018
FJO: Mid 04/2019
EDO: Multiple dates available, deciding between two in June.

Good luck to all of you waiting for the FJO or to be cleared!

Congrats on your FJO! You're right that S&T is almost non-existent on this forum. Since I joined the forum in October 2016, only a few people have received CJOs in S&T and I don't remember the last time that somebody on here received either a CJO or FJO in S&T.

I'm expecting a FJO (in Mission Management) myself any day now. It's been exactly two weeks since my career development officer (CDO) told me that I had been bid on for a position and she confirmed the official bid a week ago. She told me that OHR would take about two weeks to contact me for the FJO. According to people on the forum, FJOs are usually given out on Fridays, as was the case with you, or sometimes Thursdays or Mondays. So if I don't receive the FJO call from OHR by Monday, I'm going to email my CDO to ask her about the holdup.
#MMlivesmatter
thanks 1 user thanked rebels8 for this useful post.
sealzang on 4/17/2019(UTC)
TrinitySix  
#1717 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:50:42 AM(UTC)
TrinitySix

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If you signed a four year mobility agreement you may be stuck in S&T until it's over. Relocation would depend on exactly what you signed. That's what those do - lock you in. You'd be barred from leaving the agency and possibly your office (haven't seen what you signed) for that term unless you repaid the incentive money.

People who moved before that term was up more than likely didn't sign an incentive barring them from moving. Again, idk what you are being asked to sign but I would strongly counsel against the incentive. They don't offer that kind of money because they like you. They offer it because there's a high chance you'd leave without the indenturement.

They can't stop you from leaving but they can put golden handcuffs on. If you do sign it I would predict you should anticipate being unable to relocate for at least two years. Maybe more.

Be aware that they will take taxes out of that incentive under different rules. You will get to keep about half of it after taxes, and you will likely need permission (supervisor approved) to be considered for other roles. Since they do have a very hard time retaining tech talent, that may not be easy or probable.

Complaints from new hires about being in effective lockdown in their desks of hire have been met at the highest levels with words akin to love it or GTFO.

Welcome to DIA. I hope you love your new job and location because best bet is you're going to be there for 4 years, unless you take the job and say no to the four year incentive.

If you were a friend of mine I'd tell you to take the job and decline the four year handcuffs. 15% after taxes are out? Not worth being nailed down.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:04:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked TrinitySix for this useful post.
sealzang  
#1718 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:39:41 AM(UTC)
sealzang

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TrinitySix Go to Quoted Post
If you signed a four year mobility agreement you may be stuck in S&T until it's over. Relocation would depend on exactly what you signed. That's what those do - lock you in. You'd be barred from leaving the agency and possibly your office (haven't seen what you signed) for that term unless you repaid the incentive money.

People who moved before that term was up more than likely didn't sign an incentive barring them from moving. Again, idk what you are being asked to sign but I would strongly counsel against the incentive. They don't offer that kind of money because they like you. They offer it because there's a high chance you'd leave without the indenturement.

They can't stop you from leaving but they can put golden handcuffs on. If you do sign it I would predict you should anticipate being unable to relocate for at least two years. Maybe more.

Be aware that they will take taxes out of that incentive under different rules. You will get to keep about half of it after taxes, and you will likely need permission (supervisor approved) to be considered for other roles. Since they do have a very hard time retaining tech talent, that may not be easy or probable.

Complaints from new hires about being in effective lockdown in their desks of hire have been met at the highest levels with words akin to love it or GTFO.

Welcome to DIA. I hope you love your new job and location because best bet is you're going to be there for 4 years, unless you take the job and say no to the four year incentive.

If you were a friend of mine I'd tell you to take the job and decline the four year handcuffs. 15% after taxes are out? Not worth being nailed down.

Boy am I glad I read this. Thanks for the info. I haven't signed nor seen the agreement but I now have a few new questions for my OHR contact.
thanks 1 user thanked sealzang for this useful post.
Bird_Dog_703  
#1719 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:51:33 AM(UTC)
Bird_Dog_703

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I agree 15% is not even close to being worth it being worth it, if in fact its 48 months before you can do something else.

But check on that, the Agency does pay hard to fill supplements and the only paperwork one signs is that the bonus is subject to funding and therefore could end at any time but there is no stipulation that you have to stay in that billet for any given time. We just had someone join the Agency and was receiving the incentive then left after 4 mos to pursue a better opportunity - he never had a mobility agreement.
thanks 1 user thanked Bird_Dog_703 for this useful post.
someoldguy  
#1720 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2019 11:50:35 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: Bird_Dog_703 Go to Quoted Post
...folks have been applying and starting new jobs outside their career field after only 12 months - its just you need approval from OHR, which apparently isn't that difficult to obtain.
I have not heard this... although I have heard that if you are in a position that is not in line with your career field then you cannot get promoted.

Check out the latest analysis "hiring event." They list a number of engineering job series in addition to 0132. I think there is a big push to hire as many people with engineering degrees as they possibly can. However, any special pays you get could be tied to being in one of those billets. I am not in that situation so I don't know for certain.

I did hear that they were able to get some kind of special hiring authority or extra money to hire engineers. Some of the software types and people with non-engineering science degrees said, hey, what about us? So they may be trying to address that.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed