Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
txice  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 5:53:56 AM(UTC)
txice

Groups: Registered

I am interested in an announcement that specifies that you must be within the "local commuting area". Can anyone define what this means in distance? Im currently 52 miles from the duty location. Would this fall within the guidelines of the announcement?
Snowpuppy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 8:34:51 AM(UTC)
Snowpuppy

It used to be generally accepted that local commuting area was defined as 50 miles from your duty station. If anyone has something more specific I hope they post.

They want who they want and will either use it to include or exclude someone.

I've seen criteria like only GS 11's who drive beige station wagons and live within the commuting area of the Director's desk need apply.
Cinderella is living proof a new pair of shoes really CAN change a girl's life!
Knight  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 9:45:52 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
7. Defining the Local Commuting Area
While defining its competitive area, the agency also defines the appropriate "Local Commuting Area(s)" for the competitive area.

A local commuting area usually includes one population center in which employees live and reasonably travel back and forth to work. The regulations do not define a mileage standard for local commuting area. Instead, the agency must apply the regulations and determine what is reasonable for a specific geographic location.
----------
I think in the midwest we are willing to travel further since we can do it faster. Say 50 interstate miles in Nebraska vs 20 Washington DC miles.
Knight  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 9:47:58 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If I really wanted a job and was hired, I could be local in two weeks. So why mention you need to be local first?
Cigar56  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 10:48:36 AM(UTC)
Cigar56

It could be that they are stipulating that long-distance telecommuting won't be allowed. Just a guess.
Cigar56  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2009 10:50:04 AM(UTC)
Cigar56

Or it could be that relocation benefits are not available. Yet another grasping of the straws!
nana16  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:32:59 AM(UTC)
nana16

quote:
Originally posted by Knight:
If I really wanted a job and was hired, I could be local in two weeks. So why mention you need to be local first?

If it says local commuting area, it's most likey not open to all USCs then you know that job was posted for someone in particular or they're trying to promote from within.
sakijo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:14:23 AM(UTC)
sakijo

Local commuting area has generally been considered to be the "normal" commute for the area. Here in Hawaii, the local commuting area is taken to be the island where the job is located. People don't normally commute between the islands to go to work. In the Los Angeles area, the commuting area may be up to 200 miles.

If they really wanted an insider in the job, they could just limit the applicants to the activity itself.
cosmonewman  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:37:49 PM(UTC)
cosmonewman

I always assume that this means that they have preselected somebody and they want to be as restrictive as possible to keep out competition.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed