Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

18 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PearlJam45  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 5:10:30 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Ok now that the shutdown is a dead issue any thoughts or rumors on when the seasonals will be let go? Ive heard the "plan" is thru September. but a couple things hint at something different, for example some perms were able to go back to mornings while the seasonals are here but were informed that as of june 24th they had to go back nights.

slowpoke  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2017 5:42:03 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I think with the retention plan and future state constraints that the IRS wants to implement, move towards more perm workers.
md19  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 1:04:44 PM(UTC)
md19

United States

Retention plan? What retention plan?
phillysteak  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 1:12:13 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
what does that mean??? we done as seasonal maybe in july??
slowpoke  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 12:14:45 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Retention plan? What retention plan?

The Treasury Secretary said recently that he wants to spend less on training in his opinion long furloughs create the need for excessive training up, because people naturally forget. He seems to be pushing for perms and hiring only sporadically to cover every two employees who leave.
Hired 2015  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 5:16:03 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If its a smart future state they would open up more flexible scheduling including allowing part time, shift swaps and hours cutback outside of the season. Training mill to cut good employees is a waste. Lack of flexible scheduling drives more good people out. We lost one person because she couldn't get a schedule around her kids daycare and school hours. We lost more people because limited mass transit did not mesh with work schedules where they had to arrive an hour before work and then sit waiting an hour after work for the bus. Training mill creates tensions. At my call site they call the perms "braggy" that they got and seasonals are the have nots. Never going to get up to a higher grade where I can apply my degree and experience. I am past the stage in life to be micromanaged so I am headed back to the private sector. Furlough can't come soon enough.
kitkatma  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:54:56 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Don't know how this plays in the greater scheme of things, but the new hires in KC are having their seasonal agreements extended thru September.
buddy10  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 1:27:12 PM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
That's depressing...I was hoping for a June release this year seeing as how the phones haven't been super busy and our inventory is in the 50 day old range.😔
PearlJam45  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 03, 2017 1:30:04 PM(UTC)
PearlJam45

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
the gate im in IDT/IMF mix is usually dead by 7-730pm east coast time. I wouldn't say that dictates anything but I did notice there was a severe drop off in calls this year
slowpoke  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:26:24 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

We haven't been able to cover phones this week or last. I guess people waited this year to call. I work TPP otherwise known as "I don't have my paperwork, I don't know the answers to your questions why are you sending me to TAC!!!" I am sure the numbers being rejected is adding strain to TAC as well. But I think it is helping curb idt though which is good.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:50:47 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 105 post(s)
We're cutting an awfully large number of ad hoc reviews at Cleveland. Either we're dismissing by application and dumping the ASG 212 folks or we're getting ready to impress some potentate from Cincinnati.

Calls are light across the entire Enterprise, IDRS took a crap for 2.5-3 hours this afternoon, and we skilled a bunch of people up to 55 at Cleveland but aren't having them staff it but for two days since they did the training. I think we're running low on workload at Cleveland at the moment. We've been taking 4-6 campuses off the phones per day so unless things pick up by 201720 those of us in the remotes may disappear at least.
phillysteak  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:44:48 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
yeah, we were minimum yesterday and today on the phone. I wonder when they going to announce furlough volunteer list sign up. lololz.
sjf76  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2017 4:31:33 PM(UTC)
sjf76

United States

I was looking to see if anyone heard anything about a furlough for the Buffalo area office? I don't know if some cities are different or is it the same all across the board? I heard a rumor it was End of June but again its a rumor.

Edited by user Friday, May 05, 2017 4:34:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chriswt25  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 08, 2017 6:36:10 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)
First scuttlebutt at the campuses is the money is there to keep people through the summer. Whether or not they decide to offer early releases, (either voluntary without unemployment or lack of work with unemployment) is too early to know.
kitkatma  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 9:47:15 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 48 post(s)
There is paper OT scheduled at the KC campus through the end of May. As long as there is OT there can't be any layoffs. I don't know how that works at the phone only sites, but given the paper inventory which is now up over last year, I wouldn't bet on any early layoffs at the campuses anytime soon. If I remember right we had OT until the voluntary layoffs last year and that was in August.
Mini1  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 3:52:48 PM(UTC)
Mini1

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That's not good news....if the call centers are hearing an extention to the contract.... We have not heard anything in Andover....we are seasonal for a reason
LieutenantBlantyre  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:26:32 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post
There is paper OT scheduled at the KC campus through the end of May. As long as there is OT there can't be any layoffs. I don't know how that works at the phone only sites, but given the paper inventory which is now up over last year, I wouldn't bet on any early layoffs at the campuses anytime soon. If I remember right we had OT until the voluntary layoffs last year and that was in August.

We'll, that explains why you keep getting taken off the phones so much. Somebody has to answer phones while you process paper. We still have 201720 cycle coming, too.

Originally Posted by: PearlJam45 Go to Quoted Post
was informed today during a town hall meeting that plan is to ext seasonal employees until October after our contract runs out at the end of aug, we are a call site only. so if your hopes were for a summer vacation it doesn't look like that's happening. my guess will be a brief furlough this year

We know nothing at Cleveland. We're back on AHOD on 55 due to TPP dropping the ball sending out so many TAC AUTH ONLY letters. The number of people failing authentication over the phone getting transferred to TPP is astounding. We're running out of places to put these people in TACs within guidelines.

{redacted} We may be choking on Non-TPP response to TPP calls to 55 now. Once May 15th hits we're going to have a gigantic problem scheduling anybody due to how overloaded the TACs are. P&A planned poorly for TPP again and how we respond to it.

Originally Posted by: Mini1 Go to Quoted Post
That's not good news....if the call centers are hearing an extention to the contract.... We have not heard anything in Andover....we are seasonal for a reason

We'll get six weeks or less again. More people have been turning in retirement papers at Cleveland and have been open about it.

slowpoke  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 09, 2017 10:52:10 PM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

My TPP failure rate has to be in the high 70% range.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:34:32 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: slowpoke Go to Quoted Post
My TPP failure rate has to be in the high 70% range.

And we're crashing it on the 55 side because we are running out of places to put the people. There are TACs where that is all they do seemingly. It wasn't supposed to be this way.
taxintel1  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:50:02 AM(UTC)
taxintel1

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
People will actually walk away from a job, "turning in retirement papers" because of a lack of furlough? WOW!!! Folks have it that good? What about using up vacation time youve built up over the seasons?

Such a drastic move.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed