Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

20 Pages«<181920
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#381 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:00:09 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
{snip}

Just received a phone call to return 1/2/2018, UNLESS there is no CR or budget. If that happens , expect another call with instructions. Took the original lack of work furlough 10/1/2017

Just checked the ratline. Nobody has a call from Cleveland yet. Then again, a good chunk of us are snowed in.

Got my callback for January 2, 2018. Others on the ratline have too. As Cleveland restaurateur Michael Symon would say: "We're back, baby!"
Joechopchop  
#382 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 8:35:48 AM(UTC)
Joechopchop

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: byzgl Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Joechopchop Go to Quoted Post
I received my callback for January 2 minutes ago (provided no shutdown OR if a shutdown ends before said date)...same TOD/team. Reorg has not happened yet.

Which service center?

Philadelphia.
Hired 2015  
#383 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 11:46:17 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Where is the 2017 1040?
chriswt25  
#384 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 12:10:09 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Where is the 2017 1040?

They won't be available until the new tax bill goes through. Probably will be available early January

kayadash  
#385 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 2:01:05 PM(UTC)
kayadash

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is my first furlough coming back. Are we going to be thrust on phones immediately or what? any insight on what to expect would be interesting to hear.
chriswt25  
#386 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:48:47 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: kayadash Go to Quoted Post
This is my first furlough coming back. Are we going to be thrust on phones immediately or what? any insight on what to expect would be interesting to hear.

If you have been furloughed for a few weeks or more they will need to re-establish all your profiles etc (such as IDRS, AMS, etc) Sometimes they get done quickly, sometimes can take days. In the meantime you may be doing some ELMS or getting some refresher training. Anticipate some new training to cover whatever changes get implemented from the new tax bill that should be put through.

January is the lull before the storm at the campuses, so you may get a mixture of paper (if there is work available in what you are trained to do, along with phones. The APP 20 zoo will start soon enough.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#387 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 8:28:17 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Where is the 2017 1040?

Where is the 2017 1040?

They won't be available until the new tax bill goes through. Probably will be available early January

The last QuickAlert in my home inbox shows we're on the sixth revision of the schema for e-file software companies. There may be last minute extenders stashed in the new tax bill which holds things up. A few above the line deductions expired out and were listed reserved when I departed.

The neat thing is that there is finally schema being worked on to be able to submit Form 56 electronically it looks like.
kayadash  
#388 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 6:36:11 AM(UTC)
kayadash

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Already been mentioned, but confirming BSC was called back for Jan 2nd, providing no shutdown.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#389 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:56:35 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Resetting the clock: https://www.timeanddate....amp;font=serif&csz=1

I've heard 3-5 different plans for a new CR. I've yet to see the new CR. Some people have "Netflix & Chill" but I will have "Popcorn & C-SPAN" Friday it seems.
chriswt25  
#390 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:36:42 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

I've heard 3-5 different plans for a new CR. I've yet to see the new CR. Some people have "Netflix & Chill" but I will have "Popcorn & C-SPAN" Friday it seems.

I don't see a shutdown happening over the Holidays. After all it would ruin Congress vacation.

I could see a shutdown happening 1/19/2018 which apparently will be the next kick the can down the road date. Lots of animosity between the political factions, and a "good time" to pull a shutdown, going into a Congressional election year. Lots of fodder if that happens.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#391 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:44:41 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I don't see a shutdown happening over the Holidays. After all it would ruin Congress vacation.

I could see a shutdown happening 1/19/2018 which apparently will be the next kick the can down the road date. Lots of animosity between the political factions, and a "good time" to pull a shutdown, going into a Congressional election year. Lots of fodder if that happens.

Nothing logically follow that they need to keep trying over the holiday weekend. Pelosi & Schumer have stated that their caucuses will vote no while the Democrats will block anything going to the floor in the Senate. In that case, might as well recess for the holiday instead of aggravating each other uselessly since the Democrats are not budging.

Got the NTEU e-mail cautioning about things. Popcorn is needed.
chriswt25  
#392 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:10:48 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Nothing logically follow that they need to keep trying over the holiday weekend. Pelosi & Schumer have stated that their caucuses will vote no while the Democrats will block anything going to the floor in the Senate. In that case, might as well recess for the holiday instead of aggravating each other uselessly since the Democrats are not budging.

Got the NTEU e-mail cautioning about things. Popcorn is needed.

I am not buying that. They shutdown and go home over the holidays and they would be blasted by the constituents (All of them) If nothing else, these elected officials wont dare go to their districts
while the govt shuts down. Courage is something that is foreign to them.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:13:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#393 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:49:35 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Thinner margin than expected in the House & larger margin than expected in the Senate. We're good for January 2nd until things break down again on January 19th. Lots of people in both chambers howling about DACA not being addressed.

Several members of the Senate look gravely ill or are indeed gravely ill. McCain is home in Arizona, Cochran should let the Governor of Mississippi pick a replacement if things don't get better, Hatch is getting closer to 90, Leahy was there when the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 was enacted but looks more frail now than his 77 years of age, and McConnell is still coping as a polio survivor. They're not the healthiest bunch.

The day we go back is also the day Al Franken resigns as a senator. Lots of changes coming up.
chriswt25  
#394 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:32:27 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Thinner margin than expected in the House & larger margin than expected in the Senate. We're good for January 2nd until things break down again on January 19th. Lots of people in both chambers howling about DACA not being addressed.

Several members of the Senate look gravely ill or are indeed gravely ill. McCain is home in Arizona, Cochran should let the Governor of Mississippi pick a replacement if things don't get better, Hatch is getting closer to 90, Leahy was there when the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 was enacted but looks more frail now than his 77 years of age, and McConnell is still coping as a polio survivor. They're not the healthiest bunch.

The day we go back is also the day Al Franken resigns as a senator. Lots of changes coming up.

I could see the Jan 19 date as a "good" time for these bozos to draw lines in the sand and let a shutdown happen. Would be the perfect run up to Nov 2018 elections. Rest of the year will be finger pointing at each other about who's fault it was. About all they seem good at doing anyway. They all are disgraceful individuals as far as I am concerned.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#395 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:35:55 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

I could see the Jan 19 date as a "good" time for these bozos to draw lines in the sand and let a shutdown happen. Would be the perfect run up to Nov 2018 elections. Rest of the year will be finger pointing at each other about who's fault it was. About all they seem good at doing anyway. They all are disgraceful individuals as far as I am concerned.

We'd get 1.5 pay periods in. January 19th puts us 4 days after Martin Luther King Day which has previously been a waypoint for when we started opening up for electronic filing. That would be "fun". Thankfully we would still be under PATH Act restrictions with most refunds on hold until after February 15th.
thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
2016 hire on 12/22/2017(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#396 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
In response to tax reform several WI companies raised their pay to a minimum of $15 an hour and started paying out bonuses. WI job ads are showing more realignment of wages to pay just above qualifying levels for entitlements.

There is speculation in the WI press that Ryan won't run for reelection.

In other local WI news, the IRS unfortunately has to deal with how then Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker miscalculated taxable Milwaukee County worker pensions for years. City of Milwaukee leaders stole the GOPs great lakes water diversion project while Walker was making deals with Foxcomm that now needs federal dollars.

chriswt25  
#397 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:16:55 AM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

We'd get 1.5 pay periods in. January 19th puts us 4 days after Martin Luther King Day which has previously been a waypoint for when we started opening up for electronic filing. That would be "fun". Thankfully we would still be under PATH Act restrictions with most refunds on hold until after February 15th.

I see the House of Reps is doing what they do best. Extending their return date from 1/2 till 1/8/18. They really are taking things seriously for the 1/19 date. Unreal.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed