Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dan111  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:27:50 AM(UTC)
dan111

Groups: Registered

Hi, I’m seeking information about credit for time worked as a reemployed annuitant. I began working for the USFS in 1972. While much of my time was as a seasonal employee, I acquired 10 ½ years of creditable service. In 2011 I reached age 62 while working as a lookout in the Pacific NW - a seasonal position I’ve had since 2000. Since I was not a permanent employee, there was nothing further I could do to increase my annuity. I wanted to keep working. My high 3 year average was as a GS-7 but with all creditable service prior to 2000 my annuity was small. It was either take retirement at this time or forego my annuity until I applied.

My organization allowed me to continue work as a reemployed annuitant. This being the only way I could be employed while receiving an annuity. I continue to receive a monthly annuity but during employment my salary is offset (reduced) by the annuity amount. This works well for me. I have a beautiful duty station and it is a privilege to have my job.
I’m hired each year as a 1039 for ≈ 3 ½ - 5 months. During employment my salary is offset, I pay into FERS, contribute to TSP, earn A/L & sick leave, am paid for holidays and OT, and work full time for 40 hours or more per week.

My job offer letters state: “A reemployed annuitant whose annuity continues during reemployment is eligible for a supplemental annuity if the final period of reemployment consists of at least one year of continuous full time service (usually 40 hours per week), or continuous part time service which is equivalent to at least one year of full time service”. Next week I begin my 6th season as a reemployed annuitant. I have returned to this position each summer since 2000.

What I need clarification with is the “continuous” and “part time” component regarding eligibility for a supplemental annuity. I have received multiple, vague, and often conflicting answers from the USFS’s ASC and OPM.

I’ve accrued 2 years of additional service as a reemployed annuitant. Two years of salary offset, FERS contributions, and so forth. Some personnel employees say I “may” qualify and others that since I am laid off each season my service is not “continuous”. Others say my work is not officially considered part time or if it is, it is not continuous because again I’m laid off each year. This is also the reason I’m supposedly not eligible for step increases i.e. I’m a new employee each year. One OPM employee said to file and have my FERS contributions returned, but I prefer not doing this if I may be eligible for a supplemental annuity.

Does anyone have any insight or experience about my situation and whether I qualify for a supplemental annuity? If not should I request my FERS contributions returned?
Thanks for your time and assistant – I appreciate it.
Dan
Rss Feed  Atom Feed