Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SuperHans  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:52:02 PM(UTC)
SuperHans

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am switching from the DoD to an independent agency on the NB scale. My current job is in DC and my new job will be in Kansas City. I have notified current HR and the new HR, and they are setting up a time for a transfer date. They want me to be released on June 10th and then start my new job on June 11th. I would like atleast a week to be able to relocate to Kansas City and find a place to live.

What are the repercussions of resigning from my current job to have more time to get settled in Kansas City? If I wanted to work until the last week of May instead of until June 10th, can they still treat this as a transfer?
BrightEyes  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:41:39 AM(UTC)
BrightEyes

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It is my understanding that you are authorized time to meet the requirements of your job. In your case since its a PCS, they don't charge you leave but do give you time to complete your relocation - they just code it different on your time card.
chopperbob  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:07:50 AM(UTC)
chopperbob

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Resign? That might not be a good idea if you're going to another federal agency, unless you're cool with a break in service. I don't think they can treat it as a transfer if you have a break in service. If they're PCSing you over there they may pay for you to make a house-hunting trip before moving. They probably shouldn't be surprised if you take some leave after arriving to unpack your household goods either, but that'll probably be what you end up spending your first few weekends doing after you get there.
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:40:27 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chopperbob Go to Quoted Post
Resign? That might not be a good idea if you're going to another federal agency, unless you're cool with a break in service. I don't think they can treat it as a transfer if you have a break in service. If they're PCSing you over there they may pay for you to make a house-hunting trip before moving. They probably shouldn't be surprised if you take some leave after arriving to unpack your household goods either, but that'll probably be what you end up spending your first few weekends doing after you get there.

Definitely dont resign, causes break in service. I think he may have meant to take leave and go to next agency. I am in the same situation he is in, going from VA to DOD. Except PCS is paid for at least. Two HRs have negotiated for me to be in LA for June 10th or 11. Only know now because my losing agency boss told me. No time to do much. Don't even think its possible since I need orders.

If they are pcsing him, he might be able to sway things his way to have a different reporting date. But if he is moving on his own with no relocation....horrible timing. You will have to rush to do everything and stay in hotel possibly.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:41:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DaVinci95  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:43:59 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Don't resign; take leave. When I moved last year I took leave the last week at my old agency, came in to my new agency on the first day after the transfer to fill out my paperwork, then took two weeks off to finish moving in and getting settled.

Edited by user Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:44:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MildredWheeler  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 1:11:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Don't resign!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed