Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
silq707  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 2:15:34 PM(UTC)
silq707

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/22/2016(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States
Location: ca

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I was talking to an employee from a different office that told me he actually lives many hours from his office but he commutes and stays over for the work week but then drives back home towards the weekend which is not too uncommon it seems. With a flexible schedule and telework, the employee is able to make this work out but what caught me off guard was that he lives in Mexico, near the border. I know there are several thousands of non-government employees who make this cross daily from Mexico to US for work but I never met any other govt employees who made this cross until now. I am in a situation where I need to make a temporary move for a few months and I have SENTRI to make quick crosses. Would there be any issues with living in Mexico as a US govt employee? I am in the low tier security clearance job (forget what it is called). Also, I was thinking of teleworking too in the future but working from abroad with Mexican company internet, would that pose problems? The person I talked to has been teleworking with no problems so I don't think there would be and I tried to look up the CIO policies but could not find them.

Edited by user Monday, May 8, 2017 2:29:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:21:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,217

Thanks: 72 times
Was thanked: 967 time(s) in 770 post(s)
Originally Posted by: silq707 Go to Quoted Post
I was talking to an employee from a different office that told me he actually lives many hours from his office but he commutes and stays over for the work week but then drives back home towards the weekend which is not too uncommon it seems. With a flexible schedule and telework, the employee is able to make this work out but what caught me off guard was that he lives in Mexico, near the border. I know there are several thousands of non-government employees who make this cross daily from Mexico to US for work but I never met any other govt employees who made this cross until now. I am in a situation where I need to make a temporary move for a few months and I have SENTRI to make quick crosses. Would there be any issues with living in Mexico as a US govt employee? I am in the low tier security clearance job (forget what it is called). Also, I was thinking of teleworking too in the future but working from abroad with Mexican company internet, would that pose problems? The person I talked to has been teleworking with no problems so I don't think there would be and I tried to look up the CIO policies but could not find them.

Talk to your security office!!!! I would think that teleworking from a foreign country may be problematic for them.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
SDAnalyst  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 10:42:20 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,250

Thanks: 1985 times
Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 355 post(s)
This is a huge "no-no." I work for an Agency and we are also near the Mexico border. We have been sent guidance several times stating you cannot live across the border and maintain your clearance, and no clearance=no job. I can guarantee you his Security Office doesn't know this. In fact, we are required to notify Security if we even take a trip to Mexico.

I, too, know quite a few people in private industry who live in Mexico and make the daily crossing into San Diego county to work, because it's so much cheaper to live there. But they are not Feds!

p.s. You really should post this in the Security Clearance forum.
https://forum.federalsou...t.aspx?g=topics&f=22

Edited by user Friday, May 26, 2017 10:45:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Suggest change of Forum

thanks 1 user thanked SD Analyst for this useful post.
silq707 on 5/30/2017(UTC)
silq707  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:29:40 AM(UTC)
silq707

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/22/2016(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States
Location: ca

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SDAnalyst Go to Quoted Post
This is a huge "no-no." I work for an Agency and we are also near the Mexico border. We have been sent guidance several times stating you cannot live across the border and maintain your clearance, and no clearance=no job. I can guarantee you his Security Office doesn't know this. In fact, we are required to notify Security if we even take a trip to Mexico.

I, too, know quite a few people in private industry who live in Mexico and make the daily crossing into San Diego county to work, because it's so much cheaper to live there. But they are not Feds!

p.s. You really should post this in the Security Clearance forum.
https://forum.federalsou...t.aspx?g=topics&f=22


Thank you, will do.
King_Fed  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:11:44 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/26/2013(UTC)
Posts: 560

Thanks: 31 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post
This is a huge "no-no." I work for an Agency and we are also near the Mexico border. We have been sent guidance several times stating you cannot live across the border and maintain your clearance, and no clearance=no job. I can guarantee you his Security Office doesn't know this. In fact, we are required to notify Security if we even take a trip to Mexico.

I, too, know quite a few people in private industry who live in Mexico and make the daily crossing into San Diego county to work, because it's so much cheaper to live there. But they are not Feds!

p.s. You really should post this in the Security Clearance forum.
https://forum.federalsou...t.aspx?g=topics&f=22


You have a myopic view of the Federal gov't security process -- your entire post is not true for all agencies.

We have a guy living in mexico and teleworking... he has a clearance. He returns to the US and stays a month or so and then off to mexico. Of course, he cleared through management and security. As often said, if you have a security clearance, only lying or being evasive is a huge deal. Be honest and upfront... get ready to deal with a "no", but be honest either way.

PonceDeLeon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:51:30 PM(UTC)
PonceDeLeon

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/21/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5

I know this is an old thread, but through I would contribute to it for future Federal Employees in border states, who may ask the same question, as I did a while back (see my responses). I have to respectfully disagree with the nay-sayers out there.

King_Fed hit the nail in the head, don’t lie, and be honest. Yes, not lying and being honest are two different things!

One, skip the supervisors and their bosses, go straight to HQ. Via email, explain why you want to make the move (emphasis on “via email”, to potentially protect yourself in the future). When emailing the question, direct the question(s) to HQ’s Legal Department and HQ’s Security Office. For me, that was all I needed, good to go, even with a Clearance. More importantly, I have it all documented on official email, so it will never be my fault if there is a problem in the future, ultimately because I would never have made the move without the permission of HQ, and I have that move (and have those blessings printed and saved in my locked filing cabinet).

Three, if there is a problem with you Legal or Security, simply ask them the statute for declining your request. I honestly can’t see why you would, because Federal work is Federal work, and mine approved me. Heck, my cyber security office even approved me to telework from Mexico too (using our vpn).

I hope this helps all those in the future who ask the same question or similar.

A closed mouth doesn’t get fed, but at the same time, it could have been approved for the reason why I requested in the first place.


silq707  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:03:57 PM(UTC)
silq707

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/22/2016(UTC)
Posts: 21
United States
Location: ca

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you guys. Better late than never. I'm no longer in that situation anymore but I did let a previous supervisor know who didn't have problems but wanted me to check with legal or someone. I once saw a female enlisted marine in full military uniform crossing the pedestrian bridge into Mexico on her way to the taxi area to be picked up by who I assume were family. Being former military in NorCal, I remember majority of Mexico being off limits unless prior approval but what I thought was more of her safety. Looked like an easy target for baddies.
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:17:15 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/7/2016(UTC)
Posts: 783

Thanks: 25 times
Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PonceDeLeon Go to Quoted Post
...

Three, if there is a problem with you Legal or Security, simply ask them the statute for declining your request. I honestly can’t see why you would, because Federal work is Federal work, and mine approved me. Heck, my cyber security office even approved me to telework from Mexico too (using our vpn).

I hope this helps all those in the future who ask the same question or similar.

A closed mouth doesn’t get fed, but at the same time, it could have been approved for the reason why I requested in the first place.




The "statute" for declining your request is that teleworking is a privilege, not a right. Your agency can deny your telework request and have no obligation to explain their decision. Furthermore, your telework agreement can be modified unilaterally by your agency at any time.
PonceDeLeon  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:00:07 PM(UTC)
PonceDeLeon

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/21/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PonceDeLeon Go to Quoted Post
...

Three, if there is a problem with you Legal or Security, simply ask them the statute for declining your request. I honestly can’t see why you would, because Federal work is Federal work, and mine approved me. Heck, my cyber security office even approved me to telework from Mexico too (using our vpn).

I hope this helps all those in the future who ask the same question or similar.

A closed mouth doesn’t get fed, but at the same time, it could have been approved for the reason why I requested in the first place.




The "statute" for declining your request is that teleworking is a privilege, not a right. Your agency can deny your telework request and have no obligation to explain their decision. Furthermore, your telework agreement can be modified unilaterally by your agency at any time.


Thank you for your reply, and selective quotation. Please don’t try to school me on TW’ing, I have a pretty strong grasp of it, and fully appreciate the privilege, who ever mentioned that it is a “right”? Also, not sure how your agency works, but mine requires an explanation for a denial.

And hey, OP, ignore the silly “statute” comment above, what he/she said doesn’t even make any sense because you wasn’t even asking about requesting TW. Just seems like an angry manager who wants to lay some authority down. Best wishes for the future.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.211 seconds.