Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aeroengie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 6:57:11 AM(UTC)
aeroengie

Groups: Registered

I've been in contact with one of my investigators, and everything is done in my CAT file, fieldwork, background checks, etc, except two inquiries sent in September. One is for my school and one is for my employer (my supervisor already returned the supervisor inquiry, and the other inquiry is definitely lost.) The school has also definitely lost/never received their inquiry form, as all of them were sent out 8 months ago in September. They are now both listed as pending in PIPS and since they are never going to be returned, how long will OPM wait until they mark them undelivered and transmit my file to DODCAF?? I find it ridiculous that something that takes two clicks is what is holding me back from my career.

-Who can I contact in this case? The Freedom hotline? Investigator said he can't contact OPM.
-Will they resend the inquiries or will they just mark them undelivered?

I hear this is a pretty common issue and I have a suspicion that it is the cause of many of these delays.
BackGdInvestigator  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 11:25:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
When inquiry letters are not returned, there is a follow up process that is triggered after a certain period (don't ask - won't tell even if I knew).

The investigator should not be releasing information about your case status or the investigation process. The investigator does not have the authority to do so outside of the normal Subject interview process.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
aeroengie  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:10:01 AM(UTC)
aeroengie

Interesting, seems that it should have been triggered long ago. As for sharing information about the investigation process, the guidance to disclose and push this issue to NBIB came from someone far above the investigator or even their liaison.

In my opinion, keeping everything totally opaque from the subject just causes more delays from stupid errors made by staffers along the way, and does not allow anyone to take corrective action.
BackGdInvestigator  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:55:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Open is fine, BUT - your investigator doesn't know if another investigator discovered undisclosed activity.if there was a case expansion, or if there are issues

As for Subjects guiding their cases along - Ames and others (read up on the FBI and DOD spy cases) are examples why the Subject is not allowed to bird dog their own case.

*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
aeroengie  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 3:47:46 AM(UTC)
aeroengie

Just for curiosities sake, I read up on the Ames case but I couldn't find any peritnant information about "bird dogging" or anything about his security clearance. Seems like the guy was just a scumbag.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed