Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants


Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dan1750  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 05, 2017 11:09:33 AM(UTC)
Dan1750

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/5/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: CA

I was looking at several DOD jobs which seems will hire a retired annuitant. They provide a link which states that you will collect full pay AND your annuity, but you will not be eligible for either a supplemental or re-determined annuity. So does this only apply to the DOD???
SD Analyst  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 09, 2017 1:25:02 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2013(UTC)
Posts: 2,056

Thanks: 1826 times
Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 307 post(s)
That doesn't seem to be in line with OPM's regulations. After 1 year full-time continuous re-employment, you can get a supplemental annuity; after 5 years, a redetermined one. If part-time, you must work a proportionally longer period.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...ms/pamphlets/ri90-18.pdf

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rsfers-handbook/c100.pdf

Edited by user Friday, June 09, 2017 1:26:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

old fed  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 09, 2017 2:21:45 PM(UTC)
old fed

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/10/2012(UTC)
Posts: 641

Thanks: 99 times
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post
That doesn't seem to be in line with OPM's regulations. After 1 year full-time continuous re-employment, you can get a supplemental annuity; after 5 years, a redetermined one. If part-time, you must work a proportionally longer period.

https://www.opm.gov/reti...ms/pamphlets/ri90-18.pdf

https://www.opm.gov/reti...rsfers-handbook/c100.pdf


is the difference here the waiver from offset of annuity or salary? i think that might be the difference. in your second link in section 100A3 is seems to be addressed especially 100A3.1-3. waivers (which the OP seems to be referencing) do not allow retirement deductions so no re-calculation would make sense in that case. i didn't check the FERS section, however.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 3:15:59 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,575

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 773 time(s) in 600 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan1750 Go to Quoted Post
I was looking at several DOD jobs which seems will hire a retired annuitant. They provide a link which states that you will collect full pay AND your annuity, but you will not be eligible for either a supplemental or re-determined annuity. So does this only apply to the DOD???

No. If you collect full salary (with no off-set for your annuity), the time spent as a re-employed annuitant will not adjust your annuity when your time ends. (double dipping rules...)

If you want to have a recalculated annuity, then you could request they do the offset..

Also, it should be noted that before a RIF, re-employed annuitants are among the first against the wall....I mean, among the first let go.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Dan1750  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 05, 2017 11:17:59 AM(UTC)
Dan1750

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/5/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: CA

I have contacted OPM on the East Coast many times and it seems nobody really knows the insides and out of retired annuitants unless that person has been working for OPM their entire career and is in their 70s. I've asked for a specific POC in regards to retired annuitants and no one has been provided. For example, it's still unclear as to whether you can apply for certain jobs in USAJobs as a retired annuitant. I've called the OPM 800 number and been given varying answers.

I recently attended a retirement seminar and the speaker has many years of OPM experience with the DOD and he seems to think that yes, that's a given: when it comes to the DOD, you do not qualify for a supplemental annuity or a recalculation after 5 years, which seems to apply for other agencies. So I guess you DO collect fully salary and your annuity.

Can anyone confirm: as a retired annuitant, in addition to being the first to go in a RIF, your position is subject to displacement at any time by someone on the Priority Placement Program? The regulations seems to suggest this.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 06, 2017 3:07:51 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4,575

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 773 time(s) in 600 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dan1750 Go to Quoted Post
I have contacted OPM on the East Coast many times and it seems nobody really knows the insides and out of retired annuitants unless that person has been working for OPM their entire career and is in their 70s. I've asked for a specific POC in regards to retired annuitants and no one has been provided. For example, it's still unclear as to whether you can apply for certain jobs in USAJobs as a retired annuitant. I've called the OPM 800 number and been given varying answers.

I recently attended a retirement seminar and the speaker has many years of OPM experience with the DOD and he seems to think that yes, that's a given: when it comes to the DOD, you do not qualify for a supplemental annuity or a recalculation after 5 years, which seems to apply for other agencies. So I guess you DO collect fully salary and your annuity.

Can anyone confirm: as a retired annuitant, in addition to being the first to go in a RIF, your position is subject to displacement at any time by someone on the Priority Placement Program? The regulations seems to suggest this.
yep..IIRC. When I was with DoD, my base had several Rehired annuitants. The reason/justification to hire an annuitant is to help train personnel as the annuitant is (or supposed to be) a Subject Matter Expert or keep a critical program running until staffing needs are met. Once the people are trained or brought on board, the annuitant is supposed to be let go at that time as the need for them has ceased. Reality is that doesn't happen (as they need the body), but as soon as another person is available, or if a slot has to be eliminated...there they go.

Also:
DOD reemployment

Reemployed annuitants hired since Nov. 24, 2003, within the Department of Defense receive their full annuity and full salary, without offset. 5 USC 9902 (g).
A reemployed annuitant of DOD is not considered an employee for purposes of the CSRS. 5 USC 9902 (g)(1); Poole v. Department of the Army, 112 LRP 11790 , 117 MSPR 516 (MSPB 2012).

Removal and appeal rights

Federal employees who receive an annuity while employed are considered "at will" appointees. 5 USC 3323 (b)(1). They therefore have no retention rights in a reduction in force, and their employment may be terminated at any time.
A reemployed annuitant serves at the will of the appointing authority. Generally, such an employee has no right to appeal an adverse action to the MSPB. Garza v. Department of the Navy, 112 LRP 60329 (MSPB 2012).

And: The rights of reemployed annuitants are inferior to those of other civil servants. For example, a reemployed annuitant is:
Not eligible for a voluntary separation incentive payment, 5 USC 3521 (2)(B)(i); 5 USC 3522.
Not eligible for separation pay, 5 USC 5597 (a)(3)(A).
Excluded from the procedures covering actions based on poor performance (which confer a right to a reasonable opportunity to improve), 5 CFR 432.102 (f)(11), 5 CFR 432.104.
Not eligible for "guaranteed placement" in a GS-15 or equivalent position if he fails to complete Senior Executive Service probation satisfactorily, 5 CFR 359.901 (a)(3); 5 CFR 359.902.

Edited by user Thursday, July 06, 2017 3:12:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.088 seconds.