Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leges  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 10:18:15 AM(UTC)
leges

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
A Tier 4 investigation is a high-risk public trust and a Tier 5 investigation is a Top Secret Security Clearance.

Tier 4 uses an SF-85P form.
Tier 5 uses an SF-86 form.

If you used e-QIP for the Tier 4 investigation, most of the information that was entered on the SF-85P will be filled in automatically on the SF-86 (provided the different agency uses OPM also).

But no, they will not use the SF-85P for a Top Secret investigation. Though the investigator probably will have access to the previous Tier 4 investigation.
BackGdInvestigator  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:30:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Some parts or pieces (Law Checks at former residences for instance) may be used.

I usually tell Public Trust folks when they complain about the amount of information required for the SF85P that the SF86 for an 18 year old entering the military has 118 more pages of questions. That and the amount digging is the big difference between the Tier 4 and the Tier 5.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
johnsbuffalo  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 5:28:54 PM(UTC)
johnsbuffalo

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grixxlybear999 Go to Quoted Post
I had a tier 4 investigation about a year ago and passed. I am now up for a tier 5 investigation with a different agency. I am a federal employee, not a contractor. Will the new agency use any information from my tier 4 investigation to make it quicker and save resources (any sort of reciprocity?), or do they just start from scratch.

Also, what is the substantive difference between a tier 4 investigation and a tier 5 investigation?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Tier 4 is a completely different background investigation than a Tier 5, not to mention one is national security and the other is just public trust and not a clearance. You'll be starting from scratch.

Tier 4 is a NACLC plus a PRSI; interviews at employment, schools, and residences for the past 5 years; and review of any court actions for past 5 years.

Tier 5 is NAC plus credit search; PRSI; NAC on spouse or cohabitant; interviews at employment for past 7 years; interviews at schools and residences covering the past three years; review of any court actions covering the past 10 years; interview of any former spouse divorced within the past 10 years, interview of 4 social references who collectively cover at least the past 7 years; checks at local law enforcement agencies where the subject lived, worked, and/or attended school within the last 10 years, and if applicable, of the appropriate agency for any identified arrests; verification of citizenship or legal status of all foreign-born immediate family members and cohabitant.
thanks 1 user thanked johnsbuffalo for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 7/25/2017(UTC)
Fed Investigator  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:19:10 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 117 post(s)
I certainly hope the information being discussed above is public information.
johnsbuffalo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:17:00 PM(UTC)
johnsbuffalo

United States

Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post

The scope of a background investigation is absolutely public knowledge. Right down to how much it costs to the dollar. OPM/NBIB is essentially trying to woo agencies to use their "product".

Check it out:

https://nbib.opm.gov/hr-...-notices/1997/fin-97-02/
johnsbuffalo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:31:12 PM(UTC)
johnsbuffalo

United States

Quote:

T5 investigation does not necessarily grant you a TS clearance, but it is the prerequisite investigation for being granted a clearance. So, putting aside the difference in length of the forms between SF-86 (post-2008) and SF-85P, there are minimal differences between T4 and T5 investigations?

Am I missing anything?

Source: https://fedcas.com/wp-co...rity-Clearance-Chart.pdf

You're right that an investigation is not a clearance.

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought regarding "minimal" differences. You laid out the differences yourself, not to mention a SSBI costs like 2 grand more than a BI. There is a lot of additional investigative legwork that is involved. An SSBI is one of the most thorough checks the government has since its Subjects can cause grave danger to the US. A public trust T4 does not even provide access to any classified material.
BackGdInvestigator  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:20:40 PM(UTC)

I am usually vague when it comes to the specific process. You are free to Google the open domain information.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Fed Investigator  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:04:15 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: johnsbuffalo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post

The scope of a background investigation is absolutely public knowledge. Right down to how much it costs to the dollar. OPM/NBIB is essentially trying to woo agencies to use their "product".

Check it out:

https://nbib.opm.gov/hr-...-notices/1997/fin-97-02/

Thanks man! I had no idea it was on the website. Lol

Seems odd to have all that out there though but I guess whomever made that decision is well above my pay grade.
BackGdInvestigator  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:29:47 PM(UTC)

I read the FINS each August to find out how much OPM (now NBIB) charges for their services. We are inexpensive for what we provide.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed