Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
giddymedia  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 5:14:10 PM(UTC)
giddymedia

Groups: Registered
United States

My wife is currently in open season on her job and her company's health care plan is better than our current coverage that I have as a federal employee. We would like to pick up her company's plan and drop my FEHB coverage. I've researched this and am a bit confused. Seems like I can't drop my coverage without a qualifying life event (QLE) and we don't meet any of the criteria. Can it be this difficult to drop insurance outside of open season?
FedCivServ  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 11:19:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 141 post(s)
I don't know the answer to that, but can your wife take her insurance into retirement? I have no idea how old you are but I believe you have to have FEHB for the 5 years prior to retirement in order to have it in retirement. Few other employers offer that. so if you are young & have tons of time to go, changing is a good idea but if you are close to retirement may want to consider that.
nightstalker2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:07:57 AM(UTC)
nightstalker2

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have that same problem but I will keep my insurance FEHB until my wife says drop it and that hers, Since i heard that I can pick my back up if it does not work out. I am wondering if this is true.
edalder  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:08:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
You can cancel your FEHB coverage at any time, but generally you cannot pick it up again until open season, unless there is some kind of Qualifying Life Event (QLE). (Divorce with loss of spousal health coverage would be a very common QLE, but there are others.)

You might want to talk to your HR/Benefits department, if you are not able to accomplish this change thru you agency's automated payroll system.

As others have noted, if you are close to retirement, you will want to think long and hard about this one. You do have to have FEHB for the five year period immediately before your retirement in order to take it into retirement. Very few private sector companies offer retiree health coverage the days and of the few that do, they drop you from it like a hot potato one you reach Medicare age/eligibility.
Kivi
Guts  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:33:32 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 68 post(s)

Quote:
giddymedia I am a FERS employee who will reach my MRA(56 years old) in late November, 2017. I will reach 30 years service in early January, 2018. As things stand today (February 2017) I have approximately 10 and a half months to go. I would really like to make my exit sooner. I have some minor but chronic health issues (nothing extraordinary) and some family issues. I am not seeking disability status.

Since you plan on retiring asap, you should keep your FEHB, at least for yourself, if you plan on ever having FEHB in retirement.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
thalweg on 7/3/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed