Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blkfrst  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:12:33 PM(UTC)
blkfrst

Groups: Registered

I applied for a full time RCA job and they called me for an interview for an ARC (small post office), I have a few questions about how much work would I get as an ARC on avarrage? How far in advance do you know your schedule I am trying to see if I can also work my part time job till a full time job opens up would work evenings at my second job? I also have other applications in for PSE and other RCA positions, if I accept the ARC is there anything stopping me from being able to take one of the full time RCA positions at a different post office or accept the PSE(I know it's part time) or is my name removed from the other lists. The PM was surprised that the other offices haven't contacted me for an interview yet (they are much larger offices) as my status shows on pre hire list for all applications.

TIA
122intheshade  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 2:21:18 AM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 689 time(s) in 560 post(s)
The Post Office is a harsh and demanding mistress. In the hierarchy of postal jobs, ARC is pretty near the bottom.

I'm sure you know the difference between ARC and RCA, so that's up to you.

There are no full-time RCA jobs. Someone may tell you that you'll work 40 or more hours a week, but there's no guarantee. Also, if you're looking for a "set schedule" . . . there is no such thing. You work at management's pleasure and convenience, not your own.

You don't get to "apply" for a full-time (or career) job. You wait your turn in line. Strictly seniority-based. No merit. No "cutting the line".

As for scheduling, as I mentioned, you work at their whim. You may be going out the door, and they'll tell you to come in tomorrow. Or they'll tell you to wait for a call. They may call, they may not.

It sounds cynical, but I WAS an RCA a few years ago. Good experience, but not a happy one.

If you have the chance to be a PSE or a CCA, apply for those. RCA is for suckers. Sorry, but that's what it is.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
blkfrst on 6/30/2017(UTC)
ziggy29  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 2:41:53 AM(UTC)
ziggy29

United States

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 172 post(s)
Rural carriers usually have the longest road to conversion, from what I have seen and many others have reported. Sure, you could get lucky but on average it seems to take longer. There's an RCA down the road who is getting close to 10 years in that role.

ARCs will generally run Sunday and holiday parcel delivery. They may run Saturday if no RCAs are available. They are not the primary relief for a rural route; there should be an RCA for that. Bottom line is, they shouldn't be getting a lot of hours. If they are, something is wrong in that installation.

The other thing here is, ARCs do not get "converted" like RCAs. If there is an open RCA position, an ARC has to apply for it.

There is no full time guarantee for pretty much any entry level craft position. It takes time in the trenches and waiting for a conversion to regular. In fact, career positions almost never "hit the street" in terms of being open to the public to apply. A handful of PTF clerk positions do, at least before the last couple weeks.

Edited by user Friday, June 30, 2017 2:42:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rural guy  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 6:58:25 AM(UTC)
Rural guy

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blkfrst Go to Quoted Post
I applied for a full time RCA job and they called me for an interview for an ARC (small post office), I have a few questions about how much work would I get as an ARC on avarrage? How far in advance do you know your schedule I am trying to see if I can also work my part time job till a full time job opens up would work evenings at my second job? I also have other applications in for PSE and other RCA positions, if I accept the ARC is there anything stopping me from being able to take one of the full time RCA positions at a different post office or accept the PSE(I know it's part time) or is my name removed from the other lists. The PM was surprised that the other offices haven't contacted me for an interview yet (they are much larger offices) as my status shows on pre hire list for all applications.

TIA

As was already pointed out, RCA is not a full time position. RCA's are hired to cover for the regular carrier when they are off, typically 1 day a week, vacations and sick days. Now with that said in many offices the RCA's work 40 or more hours per week because there are not enough RCA's and in other offices the RCA's work 1 or 2 days a week because they are fully staffed. Luck of the draw. Also as was also already pointed out as an RCA you may work 5 or even 10 years before you get the opportunity to bid for a regular position. RCA's get no benefits and their time counts for nothing towards retirement.(there is a very limited health care option but you pay a higher rate) Oh, in many offices RCA's have to use their own car to deliver mail. While you are paid well to use your car it still is not enough. In most cases you need a decent size SUV and it will get beat.

The ARC position was created to give the RCA's a break on Sundays and holidays by having a dedicated work force (ARC) to work Sundays and holidays delivering parcels. (mostly Amazon) ARC's are also allowed to work carrying rural routes on Saturdays (only) but only if there are no other bodies available. So basically as an ARC you work 1 day a week.

Both CCA and PSE offer a much quicker path to a career position. Be aware that some PSE's are hired to work 2 or 4 hours a day 6 days a week in small offices and offer very limited chance for advancement.

If you want to learn more about rural carriers go to ruralinfo.net and click on ruralmailtalk. It's a forum similar to this but for rural carriers. You may want to go there and click on ruralmailtalk then click on leave replacements. There is a thread running right now titled pros/cons of being an RCA it will give you a better idea of what you're getting into.

Edited by user Friday, June 30, 2017 7:00:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

blkfrst  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 8:54:03 AM(UTC)
blkfrst

Rual guy thank you for the information, I guess the my biggest question would be is there a waiting period to start applying to other jobs after accepting an offer, where we live it is mostly RCA routes just a few CCA and they don't seem to come up.
ziggy29  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 3:21:07 PM(UTC)
ziggy29

United States

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 172 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blkfrst Go to Quoted Post
Rual guy thank you for the information, I guess the my biggest question would be is there a waiting period to start applying to other jobs after accepting an offer, where we live it is mostly RCA routes just a few CCA and they don't seem to come up.

No rule against it; quite a few have done it. Do it too many times and it doesn't look good, though. I suppose no one would fault an ARC for applying for an RCA position, of course.

Edited by user Friday, June 30, 2017 3:21:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed