Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rest  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 08, 2017 4:34:34 AM(UTC)
Rest

Groups: Registered

Ok,
Background: I was originally a perm employee as a GS5 for 2 years ( just wanted to get in to the gov). Then a promotion presented itself at a GS8 NTE same series which I took knowing I was looking for other work within the Gov. I was at this NTE position for 8 months. A PERM GS8 presented itself and I was hired and converted to a career conditional employee same series.

Dilemma: While I was a NTE I applied for a GS13 position in another series open to all federal employees, interagency etc, veterans: VEOA- which is what I believe I made the cert on. I was contacted for a interview after being in the Perm for a month.

Question: Can I go to this position? Does TIG apply to me because I was not a "federal employee" for the last 52 weeks. Do I have to resign to take the job? What are my options?

It would suck to loose out on this opportunity that is in my career field.

Thank you for all your answers and thoughts....

Edited by user Saturday, July 08, 2017 4:40:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 09, 2017 10:09:02 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Do VEOA jobs require Time in Grade?
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 671 time(s) in 511 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rest Go to Quoted Post
Ok,
Background: I was originally a perm employee as a GS5 for 2 years ( just wanted to get in to the gov). Then a promotion presented itself at a GS8 NTE same series which I took knowing I was looking for other work within the Gov. I was at this NTE position for 8 months. A PERM GS8 presented itself and I was hired and converted to a career conditional employee same series.

Dilemma: While I was a NTE I applied for a GS13 position in another series open to all federal employees, interagency etc, veterans: VEOA- which is what I believe I made the cert on. I was contacted for a interview after being in the Perm for a month.

Question: Can I go to this position? Does TIG apply to me because I was not a "federal employee" for the last 52 weeks. Do I have to resign to take the job? What are my options?

It would suck to loose out on this opportunity that is in my career field.

Thank you for all your answers and thoughts....
As long as your experience qualifies you without using your current federal experience, you should be fine.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rest  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:48:42 AM(UTC)
Rest

Thank you
HR Bubba  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:23:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 109 post(s)
Sorry, but TIG requirements apply to VEOA applicants. From the Q&A section of the vetguide: Can a current career/career conditional employee who lacks time-in-grade apply as a VEOA candidate under an agency merit promotion announcement?

No. Such an employee remains subject to time-in-grade restrictions. The VEOA is not a noncompetitive-entry authority like the VRA where an employee could be given a new appointment at a higher grade.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:59:10 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: HR Bubba Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, but TIG requirements apply to VEOA applicants. From the Q&A section of the vetguide: Can a current career/career conditional employee who lacks time-in-grade apply as a VEOA candidate under an agency merit promotion announcement?

No. Such an employee remains subject to time-in-grade restrictions. The VEOA is not a noncompetitive-entry authority like the VRA where an employee could be given a new appointment at a higher grade.
What if the job is in a different series than the applicant is currently sitting (ie applies for a GS-0501-13 while sitting in a GS-0086-8 position) and would otherwise qualify for based on non-federal experience?

Edited by user Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:00:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR Bubba  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:12:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 109 post(s)
A person's series has nothing to do with TIG. You do not earn TIG in a specific series, it is earned in a specific grade. While an individual may have GS-13 equivalent experience, if they have been a career/career conditional employee within the last 52 weeks then TIG applies. In this case, it appears that the OP has attained TIG as a GS-05 & has acquired 8 months towards TIG as a GS-08; in neither case does it give the OP sufficient TIG for a GS-13 position. If the OP had applied to an all US citizens announcement my answer would be different as TIG does not apply to all US citizen announcements. Unfortunately, the OP applied to a Merit Promotion (aka, internal or status) announcement and TIG requirements apply.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 7/13/2017(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:45:17 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: HR Bubba Go to Quoted Post
A person's series has nothing to do with TIG. You do not earn TIG in a specific series, it is earned in a specific grade. While an individual may have GS-13 equivalent experience, if they have been a career/career conditional employee within the last 52 weeks then TIG applies. In this case, it appears that the OP has attained TIG as a GS-05 & has acquired 8 months towards TIG as a GS-08; in neither case does it give the OP sufficient TIG for a GS-13 position. If the OP had applied to an all US citizens announcement my answer would be different as TIG does not apply to all US citizen announcements. Unfortunately, the OP applied to a Merit Promotion (aka, internal or status) announcement and TIG requirements apply.
And this is why you are the HR Bubba!
Thank you for the info!

Rest  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 8:48:00 AM(UTC)
Rest

Wow, there is a hesitation to enter federal employment if your true experience is outside your job offer!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed