Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jibit3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:09:36 AM(UTC)
jibit3

Groups: Registered
United States

I am a Licensed Architect trying to be hired by federal government.
It seems federal jobs for my field are very few and even fewer are open to the public.

01) What is the best path for a Licensed Architect to get his foot in the door?

02) Are there jobs in other fields (like engineering) that I should apply?

03) Most positions listed on USAjobs that I have applied for have "Open & closing dates" (2016-11-14 to 2017-11-13) shy of a year and "1 Vacancy" in over "70 Locations". Any clues or guesses as to the hiring process for these types of jobs?

04) When is a good time to check on my job application status with the government?

Thank you in advance for all your wisdom and knowledge.
I'm open to any advice you all have and more then grateful for it.
Beam Reach  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:19:52 AM(UTC)
Beam Reach

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The more flexible you can be, the more opportunities will be open to you. If you are not tied to a particular geographic area that opens up a lot of jobs. I think the biggest issue might be the entry level positions are GS-09 to GS-11/12's, I even saw some GS-05-07 positions.

I don't know what search criteria you are using, searching for "Architecture" brings quite a few returns. Job titles such as Project Manager, Space Planning, Architect, Engineering, and a lot of Interdisciplinary jobs open to all.

Those long term openings are frequently just building a pool of applicants, you're best to apply and forget about them. Most of the people on here will tell you it can take years and hundreds of applications to finally get through. Frequently you'll never hear back from the long term postings.

If you apply for a position that is only open a short time, you may hear back within a month or two, or not at all. It's really hit or miss.

Best of luck.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:27:28 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I found searching by series to be better than by keyword. Job series to consider searching:
0020 Community Planner
0340 Program Management
0801 General Engineer
0808 Architect
1101 General Business and Industry

Your best bets will be 0801 and 0808. The 6 and 12 month openings are just for resume gathering: don't expect much from those. But for even normal announcements the best approach is fire-and-forget. Submit your application and keep searching. Even if you get an offer, keep searching. The government hiring process is extremely slow, and until you are actually seated at your new desk, anything can happen to derail the process.

jibit3  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:03:52 AM(UTC)
jibit3

United States

Thank you both for your replies.

@Beam Reach
I am pretty flexible when it comes to the positions i'm willing to apply for. Unfortunately I can not relocate due to my wife's family and career being located in Louisiana. I know this puts me at a disadvantage, but is there anything I can do to improve my situation? I'd be willing to travel for up to a year since we don't have children yet. We are planning too eventually have children though.

The search criteria I have been using is:
[Louisiana] [Architect] [Architect (Design)] [Architect/Engineer] [Core Architect]

@DaVinci95
Searching by series expanded my search! I would have not thought of that. Most of the results are for engineering which I don't believes applies to me, but are there other series you would recommend?

The search criteria by series I used:
[Louisiana] [0020-Community Planner] [0340-Program Management] [0801-General Engineer] [0808-Architect] [1101-General Business and Industry]

frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:01:59 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 671 time(s) in 511 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jibit3 Go to Quoted Post

@Beam Reach
I am pretty flexible when it comes to the positions i'm willing to apply for. Unfortunately I can not relocate due to my wife's family and career being located in Louisiana. I know this puts me at a disadvantage, but is there anything I can do to improve my situation? I'd be willing to travel for up to a year since we don't have children yet. We are planning too eventually have children though.

[Louisiana] [Architect] [Architect (Design)] [Architect/Engineer] [Core Architect]

@DaVinci95
Searching by series expanded my search! I would have not thought of that. Most of the results are for engineering which I don't believes applies to me, but are there other series you would recommend?

The search criteria by series I used:
[Louisiana] [0020-Community Planner] [0340-Program Management] [0801-General Engineer] [0808-Architect] [1101-General Business and Industry]

Unfortunately, being locked into a single place (like Louisiana) really limits your opportunities. Only a couple of DoD bases (Barksdale and Polk) and Stennis Space Center just across the border in Mississippi are the most likely places to need folks in your line of work. US Army Corps of Engineers is the other place I see who may hire in your field in LA. And you can bet those who get in those positions are probably not moving out very often.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Beam Reach  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:37:12 PM(UTC)
Beam Reach

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)

@Beam Reach

One observation, I'm not certain of this but by filtering jobs only in Louisiana you are probably not seeing jobs that are 100% telework or that have flexible location requirements. I would even suggest you apply for those jobs outside the state. You never know, the hiring agency may be flexible on where you work even though the posting doesn't say it.

I've worked closely with architects for over 20 years and it isn't unusual for them to spend a lot of time traveling.

Also, if you use Architecture or architectural as search terms you will return postings that are open to someone with a degree in architecture, even though the job title has nothing to do with being an architect.

Another thought... depending on where you are in LA, could you consider a neighboring state? Mississippi, Texas?

Edited by user Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:42:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jibit3  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 7:18:19 AM(UTC)
jibit3

United States

@frankgonzalez
@Beam Reach
Thank you for the replies.
I have considered Mississippi/Stennis Space Center. I live near New Orleans, so that may be another option.

It wouldn't be ideal, but I have considered working up to 4 hours from where my wife and I currently live. The thought I had is that for the first year, I could work away from home during the week and travel home on the weekends. Then transfer closer. I have been told from a trusted source transfers aren't easy or likely, but not impossible.

frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:11:32 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 671 time(s) in 511 post(s)
@frankgonzalez
@Beam Reach
Thank you for the replies.
I have considered Mississippi/Stennis Space Center. I live near New Orleans, so that may be another option.

It wouldn't be ideal, but I have considered working up to 4 hours from where my wife and I currently live. The thought I had is that for the first year, I could work away from home during the week and travel home on the weekends. Then transfer closer. I have been told from a trusted source transfers aren't easy or likely, but not impossible.

The other option is having telework...so perhaps you spend 3 days at the site, and the rest at home in LA during the week...possibly moving to near 100% telework (depends on the job and agency). But the planets will need to align if you are locked into only the Louisiana area.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
SD Analyst  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 2:47:10 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 268 post(s)
I suggest looking for any of the jobs listed in the post above, along with "Scientist/Engineer" without adding in the state. There are many nationwide postings that may have positions in Louisiana but are not necessarily listed that way.

The Navy also hires Architect/Engineers (in addition to the Army Corps of Engineers). SPAWAR (Navy Space and Warfare Command) has a big presence in New Orleans at the SPAWAR Systems Center in the Research Park across from UNO on the Lakefront. They mainly hire Scientist/Engineers for Computer field jobs, but you never know. Most of their jobs are contract personnel, but there are some Federal employee jobs. They are higher level jobs and are under a Demo project (different pay grades like NO/ND, etc.).

Good luck. There aren't that many Federal jobs in NOLA anymore, since Katrina.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed