Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobbob1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:54:07 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Has anyone heard this? Any merit to the rumors?
ziggy29  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:06:07 PM(UTC)
ziggy29

United States

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Rumors are like.... well, everybody has one.
thanks 1 user thanked ziggy29 for this useful post.
mnmailman on 7/12/2017(UTC)
mnmailman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:22:56 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 436 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone heard this? Any merit to the rumors?

No and no.

<g>
Question authority.
roger.d  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:26:09 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Yes, I heard about this rumor.
mnmailman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:51:31 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Originally Posted by: roger605 Go to Quoted Post

Lemme guess; here ?

<g>
Question authority.
Hannah Blector  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:41:50 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 552 time(s) in 348 post(s)
Early out rumors are coping mechanisms.

However, this one is real. Headquarters is waiting to see if the NALC contract is ratified.
If it is, the early out will be announced. If not, the early out will be reevaluated after the arbitrated settlement is finalized.
My source tells me the early out for letter carriers is being called a "rolling early out" (like a rolling blackout) by the DC staff.
They know so many carriers will accept the offer that it would be disruptive to operations if it is not implemented over a 6-month period.
This will allow for the training of the new hires who will be necessary to supplement the clerks who will be excessed into the carrier craft.

The formula for the "rolling early out" is being worked on. They are considering using a random rule using an alphabetical mechanism (A-D
first month, etc.) or a numerical one using employee id numbers. Also being considered is using age or a combination of age and years of
service to determine the order of early retirements. There may be an inquiry to see who will likely take the early out offer before they
determine how the "rolling early out" will happen.
thanks 1 user thanked Hannah Blector for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 7/13/2017(UTC)
mnmailman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:45:46 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post

However, this one is real. Headquarters is waiting to see if the NALC contract is ratified.
If it is, the early out will be announced. If not, the early out will be reevaluated after the arbitrated settlement is finalized.
My source tells me the early out for letter carriers is being called a "rolling early out" (like a rolling blackout) by the DC staff.
They know so many carriers will accept the offer that it would be disruptive to operations if it is not implemented over a 6-month period.
This will allow for the training of the new hires who will be necessary to supplement the clerks who will be excessed into the carrier craft.

The formula for the "rolling early out" is being worked on. They are considering using a random rule using an alphabetical mechanism (A-D
first month, etc.) or a numerical one using employee id numbers. Also being considered is using age or a combination of age and years of
service to determine the order of early retirements. There may be an inquiry to see who will likely take the early out offer before they

Hope you're right.

<g>
Question authority.
Postalworker  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:05:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

What does the nalc contract have to do with an early out..
craigrh13  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:07:11 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Early out would be awesome. My mail lady is a rural carrier who has 8 more years to retire. She's always *****ing about people staying too long or staying past 30 years. They move on and it opens the door for new employees and gives the new employees some incentive. Nobody wants to piss away their life as a non career employee for years not gaining anything towards retirement. Not to mention from a financial stand point new hires are far cheaper and generally quicker.
Postalworker  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:24:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post
Early out would be awesome. My mail lady is a rural carrier who has 8 more years to retire. She's always *****ing about people staying too long or staying past 30 years. They move on and it opens the door for new employees and gives the new employees some incentive. Nobody wants to piss away their life as a non career employee for years not gaining anything towards retirement. Not to mention from a financial stand point new hires are far cheaper and generally quicker.

If Usps does ask Opm for early out there reason would be Mail volume decline..
roger.d  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:44:24 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mnmailman Go to Quoted Post

Lemme guess; here ?

<g>

I can neither confirm or deny where I herd the rumor.

;)
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
mnmailman on 7/12/2017(UTC)
mnmailman  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:05:08 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Originally Posted by: mnmailman Go to Quoted Post

Lemme guess; here ?

<g>

I can neither confirm or deny where I herd the rumor.

;)

Damn

<g>
Question authority.
postalvet  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:14:18 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2281 time(s) in 1761 post(s)

sorry Hannah, there is no way opm would approve a two year buy out.

current rules are 25K.

and "Also being considered is using age or a combination of age and years of..."
is also not something opm does.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
thanks 2 users thanked postalvet for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 7/13/2017(UTC), mnmailman on 7/13/2017(UTC)
craigrh13  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:32:39 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

sorry Hannah, there is no way opm would approve a two year buy out.

current rules are 25K.

and "Also being considered is using age or a combination of age and years of..."
is also not something opm does.

A buyout for certain people would be way too financially good for us. Therefor I can see them not allowing it.

Hannah Blector  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:37:43 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 552 time(s) in 348 post(s)
Guys, the more stuff you make up and put in a rumor the more people fall for it. We all know there is no early out.
thanks 3 users thanked Hannah Blector for this useful post.
mnmailman on 7/13/2017(UTC), Hsukii on 7/13/2017(UTC), startingfrombottom on 7/14/2017(UTC)
mnmailman  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:43:28 AM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Guys, the more stuff you make up and put in a rumor the more people fall for it. We all know there is no early out.

Yep. With a nationwide

shortage of carriers and

mandatory OT in many offices

that should answer the question.

<g>
Question authority.
MPE2009  
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:23:42 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 163 post(s)

Well it's none of your rural carrier mail lady's business how long anyone chooses to work. Everyone of us, even you Craig, has our own fairly unique set of desires and needs. I have every right to hang in here as long as I have that desire and need and assuming we don't go belly up. Why should any one of us simply retire and get out, so that somebody else might make career? They offered early outs a few years ago for which I was barely eligible. Just to break even financially I would have had to find a job paying 75% of what I was currently making, and even that would not have made up for lost overtime, Sunday and Night differential and other benefits. Sorry but that's a bs attitude to expect people to simply get out because somebody else wants in. You want to tell Tom Brady to get out, it's time for a new qb, just because he's getting old(for a qb anyway)?

Give an early out that has more incentive than an immediate annuity and you might see takers. I have quite a bit of SL built up, I actually go to work and I also have been very fortunate with my health. I'd like a 50% pay out in cash for my banked SL at a minimum and credit it me with the rest towards my annuity. Offer some cash, not a piddly $25k that I'll see half of after taxes. I'd be willing to take an early retirement if it made sense financially, but otherwise I'll stay as long as I enjoy my job and am effective at it.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Guts on 7/13/2017(UTC)
craigrh13  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:02:48 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Well it's none of your rural carrier mail lady's business how long anyone chooses to work. Everyone of us, even you Craig, has our own fairly unique set of desires and needs. I have every right to hang in here as long as I have that desire and need and assuming we don't go belly up. Why should any one of us simply retire and get out, so that somebody else might make career? They offered early outs a few years ago for which I was barely eligible. Just to break even financially I would have had to find a job paying 75% of what I was currently making, and even that would not have made up for lost overtime, Sunday and Night differential and other benefits. Sorry but that's a bs attitude to expect people to simply get out because somebody else wants in. You want to tell Tom Brady to get out, it's time for a new qb, just because he's getting old(for a qb anyway)?

Give an early out that has more incentive than an immediate annuity and you might see takers. I have quite a bit of SL built up, I actually go to work and I also have been very fortunate with my health. I'd like a 50% pay out in cash for my banked SL at a minimum and credit it me with the rest towards my annuity. Offer some cash, not a piddly $25k that I'll see half of after taxes. I'd be willing to take an early retirement if it made sense financially, but otherwise I'll stay as long as I enjoy my job and am effective at it.

That's completely understandable. Like I said, the people hanging on past their 30 years are screwig over the newbies but at the same time I understand why someone hasn't planned their life accordingly and needs to continue to work.

Not to mention from the companies standpoint their are far better off with a younger work force. Less pay, GENERALLY healthier and GENERALLY quicker.

With that being said, I like you would have to be offered a sweet deal to pry me away.

mary7296  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:27:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
30 years doesn't mean that you can retire, I have 34 in @ age 54.
I still need 2 more years to walk.
craigrh13  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:31:58 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: mary7296 Go to Quoted Post
30 years doesn't mean that you can retire, I have 34 in @ age 54.
I still need 2 more years to walk.

30 is a figure of speech. "Retirement age" shall we?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed