Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grafik08  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:54:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

So, I have not worked for the Federal GOV for about 4 years now.
I remained overseas as DOD started enforcing the "5 year Rule"---Resigned and found work in the country I stayed in.

Recently I applied for a position open to all US citizens here in the area I am located and ultimately got selected, even got tentative offer.

But after a few back and forth questions with HR they rescinded the offer due to not meeting the 24 month CONUS requirement.

Interestingly though a colleague of mine who lives in the same area as I do for many years, but has never worked for the Federal GOV applied for a similar type position and got hired and is working.

I have to assume if the command really wants to they can do waivers, ...there are waivers for everything. LOL but on the face of it
though it seems if you are GS once in your career you must do a two year rotation CONUS no matter if you leave federal service for any amount of time.

CivSer67  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:43:25 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It is only as strong as YOU let it be! I have just under 15 years in Civil Service. Only 19 months have been stateside as the rest have been in Europe. My initial tour started in Florida 2005, after 6 Months, I applied for and was accepted for a position in Germany Where I stayed until 2013, I returned to NM for 13 months, applied for and Mgmt agreed to the re-assignment and moved Back to Germany in May of 2014 and here I still sit. If you allow the system (MPF/CPAC) to do the work for you, you'll loose every time, never let your career out of your hands. Am I the exception? Nope. I have mentored a few on this and they have had success as well.
j1ses  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:03:35 PM(UTC)
j1ses

Guam

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If there's some special technique or workaround, please share.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:31:56 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
It depends on the command. For years the Marine Corps in Japan was very lax in their enforcement. I worked with several people who had been there 15+ years. Then a few years ago they clamped down hard, so that you pretty much had to be the only guy on the planet capable of doing your job to get extended past 5 years. They lost a lot of people over the next couple of years and had a hard time backfilling all the positions.

CivSer67  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:55:52 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: j1ses Go to Quoted Post
If there's some special technique or workaround, please share.

There is no special touch...just don't let your career sit in another's hands!
grafik08  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:53:49 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post
It depends on the command. For years the Marine Corps in Japan was very lax in their enforcement. I worked with several people who had been there 15+ years. Then a few years ago they clamped down hard, so that you pretty much had to be the only guy on the planet capable of doing your job to get extended past 5 years. They lost a lot of people over the next couple of years and had a hard time backfilling all the positions.

This is a very true statement. Accurately describes what has happened out here.
CivSer67  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:49:36 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

I know the Army is very strict on this, but they are also hurting now that they have enforced this rule. I have talked to my counterparts and explained to them why we have it so easy as I watch them struggle. I guess they choose to work harder vs. smarter!
BrightEyes  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:48:08 PM(UTC)
BrightEyes

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I wish I could get a slot overseas like so many of you have. I have been applying for the past 6 months in hopes of advancing my career. Even though I get referred for positions I can't seem to get an interview. It is frustrating to say the least.
CivSer67  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:59:21 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: BrightEyes Go to Quoted Post
I wish I could get a slot overseas like so many of you have. I have been applying for the past 6 months in hopes of advancing my career. Even though I get referred for positions I can't seem to get an interview. It is frustrating to say the least.

What series are you trying for? I ask so that maybe other in that series that are already here, might be able to help you out?
thanks 1 user thanked CivSer67 for this useful post.
BrightEyes on 8/18/2017(UTC)
BrightEyes  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 7:43:23 PM(UTC)
BrightEyes

Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post

What series are you trying for? I ask so that maybe other in that series that are already here, might be able to help you out?

I am in a 0303 series now, but am well qualified for several administrative series as it relates to program administration and family programs.

CivSer67  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:13:39 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Gents/Ladies....
anyone able to help this individual out with trying to secure an overseas slot in the 0303 area?
thanks 1 user thanked CivSer67 for this useful post.
BrightEyes on 8/28/2017(UTC)
BrightEyes  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 9:24:04 AM(UTC)
BrightEyes

Gents/Ladies....
anyone able to help this individual out with trying to secure an overseas slot in the 0303 area?

Thank you.
rambowe  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:18:15 PM(UTC)
rambowe

Any success, BrightEyes?
CivSer67  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:09:47 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Gents/Ladies....

Thank you.

Did anyone reach out to you?
NavyQueen23  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:18:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You may not be picked up based on the requirement to hire military spouses or family members. They receive preference in the overseas area. Now, it you were looking for a specialized position (i.e. IT, engineering, etc), you may have a better chance.
cyberfx1024  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:21:11 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Same here. I keep applying and applying for jobs overseas, I have only gotten 2 interviews at OCONUS locations. It's hard for me because I am applying for 2210 and 0856 jobs. Luckily I met a guy on Linkedin yesterday and he requested my resume for a network job in Oki. So hopefully everything works out and I am able to go to Okinawa with the family.
EEngiNerd  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:30:21 AM(UTC)
EEngiNerd

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just rotated back CONUS from a 5 year tour in Germany and I HIGHLY recommend folk take an OCONUS assignment at least once in their career.

While is sucked having to leave, I can see why the 5-Year Rule exists. It gets new blood and ideas into the theater and it keeps the opportunities open for folks to have a chance to work OCONUS.

Plus, in most cases, the Gov is paying your Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) which covers your housing cost and utilities so it is understandable that a 5-year cap on it is in effect (with a few exceptions).

CivSer67  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 12:49:42 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: EEngiNerd Go to Quoted Post
I just rotated back CONUS from a 5 year tour in Germany and I HIGHLY recommend folk take an OCONUS assignment at least once in their career.

While is sucked having to leave, I can see why the 5-Year Rule exists. It gets new blood and ideas into the theater and it keeps the opportunities open for folks to have a chance to work OCONUS.

Plus, in most cases, the Gov is paying your Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) which covers your housing cost and utilities so it is understandable that a 5-year cap on it is in effect (with a few exceptions).

I have to highly disagree with your assumptions on the whys in your statement. GS are not treated the same as NAF overseas.. why is that? Nor are they treated the same as Military when it comes to rotational tours. I have been informed that Congress is afraid that members will fall out of touch with their country if kept away to long, this is the primary reason for the rotation limits!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed