Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sootheme  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:02:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

I am writing to inquire about a federal position that is posted as 100% travel. I would like to hear from current or former federal employees who hold or have held positions that were posted as 100% travel and were not listed as security clearance sensitive. 

Specifically, I would like to know if the job actually requires that much travel time given the current state of the federal budget. Also, I would like an estimate of how much time you actually travel vs time in the office. Did you telework most of the time? Any other challenges, advice or considerations, etc.

Thanks!
FedCivServ  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:34:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Not knowing what the job is from the information you posted, it sounds like it is either going to interview people or something like that. If it says 100% travel, that must be the nature of the job and I would presume it is exactly as it says. The federal budget has nothing to do w/ what the requirements of the position are. Is there a POC on there you could call and ask more specifics? There is usually a staffer or something or at least a phone number. I travel quite a bit (not close to 100% but a lot) and the challenge is, you are always tired. I don't know HOW you would be traveling, (car or plane) but when you are away from your bed and your things it is a little stressful too. not to mention your family if you have one. Good luck..
GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 6:45:38 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 357 time(s) in 296 post(s)
I did fifty percent travelling and I don't think I got over the tired for at least a year after I stopped. And that was with perfectly comfy hotels and not horrible planes and cars. It was tough. All the worst parts of being a travelling salesman combined with being a hobo. One of the most awful parts, you'd never think - the really poor quality food available. Fast food, cheap food, overcooked, badly cooked, nutrition-less, there were days when you'd never so much as see a piece of lettuce. Try and find somebody who can tell you what the terms of the job actually are, and make your choice accordingly. If you're less than around 30-35, you may be able to handle it. Otherwise - be careful.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed