Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fed1090  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 11:56:09 AM(UTC)
fed1090

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
70+ openings all around the US just opened up, very seldom will you see this large and covering so many locations.
Happy Bunting.
thanks 2 users thanked fed1090 for this useful post.
Newlyf3d on 7/28/2017(UTC), TallC on 7/29/2017(UTC)
fed1090  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 11:59:21 AM(UTC)
fed1090

Sorry Happy Hunting
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 8:22:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 43 post(s)
NBIB is trying the more common process of announcing all open positions at one time instead of listing each location individually. This is a recent decision. I hope it works out for us.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
MidwestGator  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 9:02:42 AM(UTC)
MidwestGator

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Applied for Tucson and Indianapolis. Thanks for posting!
@rmyvet  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 10:29:24 AM(UTC)
@rmyvet

United States

im still waiting on an EOD for a position that closed a little earlier, good luck to all applying
Mtc17227  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:54:46 AM(UTC)
Mtc17227

I wonder if that means they will have a posting like this just once a year or a couple times a year.
Elliott477  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 06, 2017 8:39:10 PM(UTC)
Elliott477

United States

Finally got a call for an interview from the last round of postings, I've been referred on everyone I've applied for. Fingers Crossed!
Mtc17227  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:44:43 AM(UTC)
Mtc17227

What location? How long ago did the job close and how long ago since you were referred?
GovHire310  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:20:19 AM(UTC)
GovHire310

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So far I have been referred to every position I have applied for still haven't had any interviews. Do you think they are referring everyone that is applying?
fed1090  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:52:39 PM(UTC)
fed1090

There are thousands of applicants for every opening and sometimes hundreds of referrals. It is a steep climb to get hired.

BackGdInvestigator  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:59:36 PM(UTC)

Even with all the hoops people go through to get the S/A position - many quit during or after training. This is in both the federal and contracting worlds.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Mnthiker  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 8:53:01 AM(UTC)
Mnthiker

United States

I have been referred to four positions I've applied for going back to feburary. No interviews yet...but i keep some hope alive. Currently working for the feds I realized long ago that rarely does anything happen fast.
BackGdInvestigator  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 4:24:44 PM(UTC)

Good luck with the NBIB search.
Mnthiker  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 4:36:02 PM(UTC)
Mnthiker

United States

New hires quit after having jumped through all the hoops? That Just doesn't make any sense to me. People have their reasons i suppose. I could see maybe they end up landing that special agent job they've been waiting on, but much more than that I just don't understand.
BackGdInvestigator  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 3:37:58 PM(UTC)

This job is different than most people believe. NBIB and contractors are now having folks "shadow" field agents/investigators after the candidate's clearance is completed but before training begins.

Mnthiker  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:48:04 PM(UTC)
Mnthiker

United States

BackGdInvestigator thanks for the info. I really have very few preconceived notions of what the job entails. I figure OPM will train me with the tools necessary to be successful. You seem to like it as I noticed your disclaimer at the bottom of your posts which tells me you're pretty dedicated. Also I see you being helpful rather than negative. I'm really hoping to get the opportunity to make it a career as my current job is just that, a job. Good or bad I haven't heard anything yet on my numerous referrals, so I'm not putting the cart before the horse.
Fed Investigator  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 8:56:01 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 99 post(s)
I've seen more turnover the last year than in the last 10.

We are like at a 50% attrition rate for new hires.

It's nuts.
Mnthiker  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 1:40:44 AM(UTC)
Mnthiker

United States

50% attrition rate? That is completely nuts. Is that just people quitting because they think it's something it is not or something more? Crazy to willingly give up the potential for a GS-12. That's good money and retirement. I'm curious if any of you current investigators know anything about the disclaimer on the job announcements stating that a job offer is expected to be made within 40 days of the close of hiring announcement? I've seen this on all the announcements I've applied for. If that is truly the case, I'm hosed on three quarters of my referred applications already, ha! I was able to apply to a couple locations off of this latest announcement thanks to the heads up from fed 1090.
BackGdInvestigator  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 5:53:44 AM(UTC)

My observation is that people think this is a 9-5, sit and eat bon-bons, retirement type job. It is not.

During my initial training, several people decided to go back to their previous federal jobs instead of finishing the training. We lost a quarter of my class. This was before the "shadow" training.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Mnthiker on 8/27/2017(UTC)
Fed Investigator  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 7:27:21 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 99 post(s)
We used to job shadow prior to going to the academy to let the new hire get a feel for the job. Then they went to going to the academy first, then shadowing as part of on the job training. Now, we're back to shadowing first. Problem is, even shadowing doesn't give the new hire a complete feel for the job.

Most people quit or return to their former jobs in a hurry exactly because of what BackGdInvestigator said. They think this is a work from home gig because they are told this a work from home gig and most people have preconceived notions of what a work from home gig is, i.e. you work in your home, in front of your computer and take a few meetings a week out in the field.

This is not a work from home gig.

The first hour of the day, you may work from home. The rest of the day, you will be in the field interviewing anywhere from five to ten people a day and stopping by employers, court houses, colleges, police departments to get records. Have a Subject interview that day, that's going to be anywhere from two to three hours for the one interview. Need to cover a residence? I have in my workload currently, eleven different residences, in seven different cities. You think you're going to stop by a neighborhood at noon on a Tuesday and find anyone home? Guess again.

And oh by the way, those employment records you need to check. You first need to find out where they are held, to do that, you need to find a number for human resources and hope they have been through this process before. If not, you may have to go through their legal, talk to their attorney, etc. Once you get the ok, then you can call and schedule to review those records. But wait, you have coworkers to interview too but they are not at the same location as the records, time to get on the phone and make appointments! When are you going to do that? Working hours of course but you're already out in the field, not at home, in front of your computer.

Then you have references you need to fit in somewhere, more appointments to make! Guess what, the reference can only meet after work on Friday. After traffic, they get home at 7:00 p.m. Guess what you get to do?

After all that and more, then you get to type up the reports.

Did I mention that there are performance metrics and standards that have to be made. Yes my friends, you are tracked monthly by these standards to make sure you are actually working! Best part is, the metrics are the same across the country. You live in a major city, with hours of snarled traffic? You are expected to meet the same metrics as your middle of America fellow agent. You live in rural BFE and have to drive a hundred miles to get one interview? Guess what standards you are being measured by?

What I'm trying to say is that this is NOT a work from home job. This job is relentless in it's pace and level of activity. I get new cases in almost every week. You will always be on the move and what you are working on will constantly change. Your office will be Starbucks, Panera Bread, your GOV and even the local park. If I have an hour between interviews, I drive to within five minutes of the next one and find a place to type reports or make appointments while I'm waiting. Time spent working from home is to print out new cases assigned. You have to be able to be flexible and change your schedule and mind-set at the drop of a hat. You may have your week planned, interviews set up but then you get in a priority case, Subject is deploying in a few days and has to be interviewed before leaving. Now you're rearranging on the fly. You have a case and a young person has just joined the military, all you have to cover is the residence, high school and some references. They didn't have any employment because they were in high school, makes sense. You put this case on the back burner because it's going to be easy and you have more pressing cases to get done first. Fast forward a week or two and time is ticking down, this case is now coming due. You make your stop by the police department and find out they had a speeding ticket a month ago. No biggie but now you have to go get the court record. You interview a friend who tells you that Subject took some college classes at the local JC while in high school. No biggie but now you have to go get those records as well. You interview another friend who tells you Subject worked at the local movie theater last summer. No biggie but now you have to go to the local theater and time is ticking away. You make that trip to the local theater, review the record and notice that Subject's resume is in his file. Lo and behold, Subject worked as a gardener, a babysitter and at the local McDonalds. No biggie, right? Now multiple that scenario by two or three cases out of the nine or ten you will be working on simultaneously at any given time. Again, anything but a work from home gig.

Oh yeah and all of it is completely on your own. You will have no regular feedback, just a handbook, several field guides and countless emails of policy changes, good luck on keeping up with all of those! HAHAHA You will only know when you've screwed up when your cases are sent back to you for being deficient.

Edited by user Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:30:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: there, their and they're

thanks 5 users thanked Fed Investigator for this useful post.
Mnthiker on 8/27/2017(UTC), johnsbuffalo on 8/28/2017(UTC), mddlrthr2 on 9/6/2017(UTC), DrTravel on 10/1/2017(UTC), JayJammin22 on 10/3/2017(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed