Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JimB  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 10:41:26 AM(UTC)
JimB

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm currently a senior in college and will graduate in 2018 and was wondering what would my chances be if I applied to the FBI? I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Political Science. I was just accepted into the Judicial Internship Program through my college and will start in the Fall Semester. I also have a 3.5 G.P.A and in a distinguished honor society.
emaichbe03  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 12:17:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
take a look at the current announcement and read through the qualifications and requirements. do you have what it takes right now? no, probably not, because you need to 1) graduate and 2) get some work experience.

work over the next 3-5 years to meet those qualifications and requirements, and then apply. then you'll see if you have what it takes.

the answer you probably want is the same answer that i wanted at your age. someone to tell you definitively yes or no. most will say they can't tell you a definitive yes or no. i'm inclined to do so as well.

but i'll try to give you what you want. yes, based on your known history to-date as expressed via your post assuming all is accurate, you appear to have what it takes via scholastic achievement and what sounds like a good internship program. keep on a good path, get a good job post-grad, stay in touch with a recruiter who can help you navigate your career, exercise, eat your wheaties, say your prays, take your vitamins, tell your mom you love her, and support boy scout fundraisers, and you should be good to go.

the below link is semi-relevant as well:
https://www.911jobforums...m/showthread.php?t=65369

basher52  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 1:11:26 PM(UTC)
basher52

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hey, JimB.

You should be applauded for thinking ahead about your goals and opting for experiences (i.e., your judicial internship) that will make you a more competitive applicant for the FBI - or any law enforcement role, for that matter.

Review FBIjobs.gov to see what the minimum requirements entail for a position with the FBI. As the poster above me said, the FBI does require its applicants to have a minimum amount of professional work experience. In the meantime, his advice is good: Make solid choices - zealously guard your academic and personal integrity. Remember that you'll be called to account for every single questionable thing you've done or been party to during your application process with ANY federal LE agency. Stay fit, too. There are a lot of highly qualified people who can't hack it in the application process because they aren't physically prepared. In terms of things you can do to prepare and 'stack the deck' in your favor, make physical preparedness a nonissue for you.

Seek out leadership opportunities at your college and in your chosen line of work once you graduate. Volunteer for tough assignments and treat every experience as a tool that you can use to improve your character, leadership, and decision-making capabilities.

Check out some of the FBI Honors Internship programs if they interest you, too.

Good luck.

FBI SA Applicant
Applied: 10/16
Phase I: 11/16
M&G: 12/16
Phase II: 5/17
PFT/PSI/Poly: 6/17
Medical: 7/17
Adjudication: 10/17
thanks 1 user thanked basher52 for this useful post.
Nullins on 8/5/2017(UTC)
Minerva  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 4:06:05 PM(UTC)
Minerva

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey brother. Just letting you know I am in the same boat. Currently waiting until I am complete with my degree and waiting until the 3 year time frame is complete (in regards to the drug policy). Don't give up and work hard!
Karl Racki  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 10:57:22 AM(UTC)
Karl Racki

United States

I really don’t know why people don’t research before getting a worthless major. FBI has pretty much no use for CJ Grads. They look for people with degrees in accounting, business, IT, Foreign language.

I was told once that almost every position they get hundreds of street cops that apply for them.
emaichbe03  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:23:49 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
well, any major can be useless as it is highly individual dependent. i understand your point though, the supply of CJ majors is likely much greater than the demand. STEM is probably the best type of major you can get, as it could get you any type of job.

frankly, if your goal is to be a cop and/or go military and then get into the FLEO system, the CJ major wouldn't be a bad lead-in to either. many agencies besides the FBI probably cater more to that path than the professional path that the FBI does.

further, it's like, who would know any of this stuff unless you're told by a parent or a mentor? i had aspirations of the FBI since highschool and then picked a major that could be good for both private sector and the FBI. luckily i had caring parents, one in LE guiding me. but without that, idk how i would've found this path otherwise.
ShesAWannabeSA  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:23:25 PM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Karl Racki Go to Quoted Post
I really don’t know why people don’t research before getting a worthless major. FBI has pretty much no use for CJ Grads. They look for people with degrees in accounting, business, IT, Foreign language.

I was told once that almost every position they get hundreds of street cops that apply for them.

Well, you're wrong. One of my degrees is supposedly a "worthless major" and it worked out for me...I am in the January class. They don't look at just your degree. They look at you as a whole person, your whole work experience, academics, etc. I have a BA in CJ and a BS in Forensic Science. I just graduated last year. All of my related work experience for this job was done before I even finished college. It's about so much more than your major.

App: 1/2017
P1: 2/2017
M&G: 3/2017
P2/PFT: 5/2017
PSI/Poly: 6/2017
Med Start: 08/2017
Adjudication: 9/2017
Jake 4rm State Farm  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 6:20:09 AM(UTC)
Jake 4rm State Farm

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShesAWannabeSA Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Karl Racki Go to Quoted Post

Well, you're wrong. One of my degrees is supposedly a "worthless major" and it worked out for me...I am in the January class. They don't look at just your degree. They look at you as a whole person, your whole work experience, academics, etc. I have a BA in CJ and a BS in Forensic Science. I just graduated last year. All of my related work experience for this job was done before I even finished college. It's about so much more than your major.

I agree. As long as you apply under one their background needs you will be fine. However, I have been seeing on the forum where IA applicants are delayed, because they are don’t possess a background in their critical skills of need. I think the IA route is more background specific, than the SA route. I could be wrong and this is all speculation from info I gathered on this forum.
Guyonabuffalo  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:23:55 AM(UTC)
Guyonabuffalo

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
From what I gather from my experience so far in the SA applicant process it seems that you just need to check the boxes on all of the minimum qualifications (see https://www.fbijobs.gov/...eer-paths/special-agents). After that it is how you tell your story, perform on the tests, and demonstrate that you possess https://www.fbijobs.gov/...etencies_Definitions.pdf . It's not really that mysterious of a process but it requires a lot of patience!

Edited by user Thursday, December 07, 2017 10:27:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: corrected url

App - 4/16
Ph 1- 3/17
M&G- 5/17
Ph 2- 6/17
PFT/CAO -8/17
PSI/Poly-9/17
Medical-10/17
Med f/u-11/17
Rss Feed  Atom Feed