Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

39 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Minerva  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 02, 2017 4:11:15 PM(UTC)
Minerva

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just figured I would create a thread for the 2018 Honors Internship Program since the application process is supposed to begin this month! It does not look like they have updated the page as of yet, but I will keep checking back and edit this when the official application is posted. Good luck, everyone!

https://www.fbijobs.gov/students/undergrad
https://apply.fbijobs.go...pl=FolderPath%2cIsFolder

Edit: According to their website the system will be undergoing maintenance until 1200 August 7th. Perhaps the application will be posted after the update.

"APPLYING FOR JOBS WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FROM 6:00AM ET ON AUGUST 4, 2017 TO 12:00PM ET ON AUGUST 7, 2017 WHILE THE SYSTEM UNDERGOES AN UPGRADE. USERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE SYSTEM OR ANY OF ITS DATA DURING THE OUTAGE."

Edit 2: Okay, so they updated the system! Still no sign of the official honors application though. Be aware that the two forms directly on the undergrad page are out dated, and while it may be tempting to print them, use them prematurely and just change the dates, I wouldn't recommend it. They may alter those forms when they release the official application.

And the waiting game continues!

Edit 3: According to a user correspondence via email, the application to the honors program will be released on August 25th. Let's see what happens!

Edit 4: It's August 25th! According to user correspondence with their FO, it would seem that the web page would be updated either at the end of the day today or for sure by August 30th

Edit 5: Please, please, please read this entire post (at least the first post) before you private message me. I guarantee the answer you are looking for is right here.

Edit:6 HUGE UPDATE!!! The Honors Internship Application has been posted to FBI Jobs!!! I have provided the application link in THIS POST in BOLD directly above!

Edited by user Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:50:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 15 users thanked Minerva for this useful post.
DestinyAriale on 8/7/2017(UTC), PupLover1995 on 8/11/2017(UTC), Mikeyy on 8/12/2017(UTC), Skywalker182 on 8/12/2017(UTC), mureah90 on 8/21/2017(UTC), KA_92 on 8/29/2017(UTC), NotSoGamerBoy on 9/5/2017(UTC), DigitalForensicsMajor on 9/5/2017(UTC), mkist on 9/17/2017(UTC), jayleagold on 10/2/2017(UTC), Jeremy22 on 11/1/2017(UTC), radicalavocado on 11/1/2017(UTC), KingofSwag on 11/16/2017(UTC), PandaGirl on 11/27/2017(UTC), beinggrateful on 11/30/2017(UTC)
Fargo311  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:47:47 AM(UTC)
Fargo311

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I applied for the 2017 internship and was given a conditional job offer, however, they didn't finish my background investigation in time so I couldn't participate. I'm still trying to decide if I'll reapply for next summer. Good luck to all who apply!
Junkrat115  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 04, 2017 8:06:24 PM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
A family friend who works for the DoD just told me about these internships yesterday and I was immediately intrigued by what she told me, because it is the sort of direction I want to have for my future career (counter terrorism and/or cyber security). I was also told that being a computer systems engineering major (starting my second year now) could help me land this internship more than others (not sure if it’s true or not). Also, after looking on the FBI’s page for this internship, I only saw the two papers that need to be completed through it and read all the other information on the page. What else goes into the main application? I would like to know what is needed on it, because I was also looking into an NSA internship and it says exactly what goes into the application, whereas this one does not. If any of you have any info or advice for me, please let me know.
Fargo311  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 06, 2017 10:28:35 AM(UTC)
Fargo311

Originally Posted by: Junkrat115 Go to Quoted Post
A family friend who works for the DoD just told me about these internships yesterday and I was immediately intrigued by what she told me, because it is the sort of direction I want to have for my future career (counter terrorism and/or cyber security). I was also told that being a computer systems engineering major (starting my second year now) could help me land this internship more than others (not sure if it’s true or not). Also, after looking on the FBI’s page for this internship, I only saw the two papers that need to be completed through it and read all the other information on the page. What else goes into the main application? I would like to know what is needed on it, because I was also looking into an NSA internship and it says exactly what goes into the application, whereas this one does not. If any of you have any info or advice for me, please let me know.

You have those two forms, your resume, and an official transcript to upload. If you get an interview and conditional job offer you will start the background process. That involves a polygraph and a large packet to fill out on your school, living, job, education, crime, and drug history. It will also need references from your school, neighborhood, and work which they will meet to ask questions about you.
thanks 1 user thanked Fargo311 for this useful post.
Junkrat115 on 8/6/2017(UTC)
Minerva  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 06, 2017 11:46:00 AM(UTC)
Minerva

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Wait until they update the page though! Those two forms are still from 2017.
PierogiForAll  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:04:29 PM(UTC)
PierogiForAll

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm hoping to apply. I'll likely be going back to grad school in the spring, as I had hoped to get hired on as an IA, however, my application got frozen during the hiring freeze. Thus, I'm trying to get a jump start on internships.
App:21JUN16
PI:22JUL16(22JUL16)
PII:27JUL16(19SEP16)
PIII:15DEC16(20DEC16)
DIS:28DEC16
App II: 28AUG17
Junkrat115  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 7:58:07 AM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Does anyone know about when the internship will be updated? I noticed that the jobs were updated with 11 new ones, but the internship still hasn’t been posted yet.
Fargo311  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 10:28:17 AM(UTC)
Fargo311

Does anyone know about when the internship will be updated? I noticed that the jobs were updated with 11 new ones, but the internship still hasn’t been posted yet.

The email I got from the FBI said the application will be opened Aug 25, so my guess would be on or right before that date.
thanks 2 users thanked Fargo311 for this useful post.
Calky2 on 8/9/2017(UTC), Junkrat115 on 8/9/2017(UTC)
Junkrat115  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 10:45:21 AM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Fargo311 Go to Quoted Post

The email I got from the FBI said the application will be opened Aug 25, so my guess would be on or right before that date.

Alright, thank you. I was unable to find the date anywhere. I’ll be sure to put that down.
Calky2  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:06:01 PM(UTC)
Calky2

United States

Hey everyone! Just curious what FO everyone is applying too, I'll be applying to the one in Chicago. Good luck
VanillaBear  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:09:18 PM(UTC)
VanillaBear

United States

I'm looking at the Buffalo FO. Is there anywhere to see information on the 2018 internship other than FBIJObs? All is see is 2017 information.
Junkrat115  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:15:37 PM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Calky2 Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone! Just curious what FO everyone is applying too, I'll be applying to the one in Chicago. Good luck

Since we choose our top three, I will be looking into Phoenix, San Diego, and LA.
Junkrat115  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:16:38 PM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: VanillaBear Go to Quoted Post
I'm looking at the Buffalo FO. Is there anywhere to see information on the 2018 internship other than FBIJObs? All is see is 2017 information.

The application will be posted on or around the 25th
VanillaBear  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:22:35 PM(UTC)
VanillaBear

United States

Thanks Junkrat! Good luck! I'm sure we'll all need a little bit of luck.
Junkrat115  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 1:29:16 PM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: VanillaBear Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Junkrat! Good luck! I'm sure we'll all need a little bit of luck.

Good luck to you as well!
PierogiForAll  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 9:31:03 PM(UTC)
PierogiForAll

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm shooting for HQ in DC.
App:21JUN16
PI:22JUL16(22JUL16)
PII:27JUL16(19SEP16)
PIII:15DEC16(20DEC16)
DIS:28DEC16
App II: 28AUG17
Fargo311  
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:14:18 AM(UTC)
Fargo311

Last year I applied for San Diego, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles. I got the conditional offer for LA.(which, as I said before fell through when they didn't get my BI done) , but this year I think I will apply for D.C., Quantico, and LA
Junkrat115  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:16:39 AM(UTC)
Junkrat115

Man
United States

Something I forgot to look up: is housing and transportation paid for for where you are, or do you have to handle that yourself
Fargo311  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:23:49 PM(UTC)
Fargo311

Something I forgot to look up: is housing and transportation paid for for where you are, or do you have to handle that yourself

That is completely on you. They don't house interns or give them transport. It makes a special note for Quantico and a few other places that you must have your own transportation because there isn't even public transport available to get there.
coach_c05  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:02:28 PM(UTC)
coach_c05

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey All,

I just wanted to stop in and say good luck to each of you who apply! I applied for the 2017 honors internship and was selected, therefore, if any of you have questions about the process or internship itself I would be happy to offer advice based on my experience and observations. This is our last week, and I have been extended a full-time offer in which I will be flying out to orientation training soon.

To begin, I'll just offer some tips based on my experience. First, your degree doesn't necessarily matter with regard to the internship program. If it were an actual specialized job (e.g., IT, HR) you were applying to, then that would become more relevant among other factors. But, I caution you not to major in something just because you may think the FBI needs it, at least for the intern portion. I majored in Psychology and am now in graduate school - and was still accepted. Thus, major in what you enjoy as the FBI wants a diverse pool of applicants. For example, majoring in criminal justice isn't necessarily going to give you a leg-up in the application process for a special agent position. There could be a biology major that better demonstrates the required competencies and receives the job offer.

Second, in regard to the application, just be patient. My process took over six months and that was relatively quick, especially since I applied right before the deadline. Other applicants who apply early may be closer to 8-9 months before getting a final offer. The steps in between can seem like eternity, as I know sometimes months passed with no word. I often felt I was eliminated from the process. I wouldn't bother the HR people constantly about your application, as many of the steps are handled by headquarters and is contingent upon them moving the application forward. Overall, don't stress the process. No news is good news and bugging HR several times per month may reflect negatively on you. I didn't get my final offer until two weeks prior to the internship start date.

Just to caveat that, just be sure you are absolutely committed if you are going to apply. As implied, the process can be exhaustive. The multiple interviews, waiting, background interview, waiting, polygraph, waiting, conditional offer, waiting, background investigation, waiting, etc. can wear you down. Remain confident in yourself and be ready to tackle the next steps as they come! Act like each new step is the first - always striving for an excellent, but genuine first impression.

I'll finish by saying that being honest with yourself and the personnel you interact with is important. Deception is not taken lightly, and if you provide any misleading or false information there will be zero tolerance. It's not easy telling others our deepest, darkest secrets or regrettable experiences, but if you demonstrate that you learned from them there should be no issue. You will not be able to fake your way through the process, so if you fall within one of the disqualifications (e.g., smoked weed recently) or simply are gravely concerned something you did will disqualify you, then wait to apply.

I hope that helps. As I said, if any of you have questions about the process I can only speak on my experience, but am happy to help. Good luck to all of you moving forward with your application!

thanks 12 users thanked coach_c05 for this useful post.
NotSoGamerBoy on 8/15/2017(UTC), Junkrat115 on 8/15/2017(UTC), Skywalker182 on 8/16/2017(UTC), jakder15 on 8/17/2017(UTC), mureah90 on 8/22/2017(UTC), Minerva on 8/23/2017(UTC), eva813 on 11/5/2017(UTC), beinggrateful on 11/30/2017(UTC), Chloe on 12/5/2017(UTC), FireflyLight on 1/16/2018(UTC), Chat on 4/23/2018(UTC), Aguila1 on 5/4/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed